Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
Birchard Austin Hayes
Scope and Content
Birchard Hayes was the oldest son of President Rutherford B. Hayes. His correspondence with his father and mother and then his own children provides insight into the political and social environment from post Civil War through World War I and on to 1925. As a lawyer, he handled many of the family's business and legal affairs including the president's land holdings and estate. Birchard was also a close advisor to his brother Webb C. Hayes and particularly involved in the creation of the Hayes Presidential Center.
Birchard Austin Hayes was born November 4, 1853 in Cincinnati, Ohio and spent much of his early childhood there. During the Civil War he, along with his mother and brother Webb, spent several winters in camp in West Virginia with his father. Before the end of the war he moved to Fremont, Ohio to live with his great uncle, Sardis Birchard, for whom he was named. He lived in Fremont seven years completing his high school education. He enrolled in Cornell University and graduated with an A.B. degree in 1874. He then continued his studies at Harvard Law School receiving the Bachelor of Laws degree in 1877.
He began his law career, specializing in tax and real estate law, in New York with the firm of Evarts, Southmade, and Choates. In 1879 he moved to Toledo,Ohio, becoming a partner in the firm of Swayne, Swayne, & Hayes. He continued in partnership with Noah Swayne until Swayne's death and then practiced alone.
Birchard married Mary Sherman of Norwalk in 1886. They lived at 2112 Ashland Avenue until 1905 when they moved to their home at 2242 Robinwood. Toledo, Ohio. They were the parents of four sons: Webb II, Walter, Sherman, and Scott. Mary died in June 1924. Birchard’s death occurred two years later. Both Mary and Birchard are buried in the Hayes family area in Oakwood Cemetery in Fremont.
Scope and Content
Extending from 1860 to 1930, the collection includes Birchard A. Hayes’ correspondence with his great uncle, Sardis Birchard, his parents, and siblings regarding school and family matters; correspondence with his father regarding the political events of the time; and the correspondence of Birchard and Mary with their sons about school and family. This includes extensive correspondence with sons Scott and Walter regarding preparations, enlistment, and training for World War I as well as the correspondence of the children to Webb and Mary Miller Hayes regarding family matters. The collection also includes Birchard’s correspondence regarding Hayes and other family genealogies and Society of the Sons of the Revolution;
Business and legal records include the estates of Sardis Birchard, Rutherford B. Hayes, and Lucy Webb Hayes; real estate holdings in Duluth, Minnesota, Toledo and Columbus, Ohio as well as West Virginia, Missouri, and Nebraska; oil wells and leases of land in Wood County, Ohio; and the business affairs of Col Webb C. and Mary Miller Hayes, especially the Commercial Realty Company of Toledo.
Other miscellaneous topics include receipts, title abstracts for property in Toledo, Hayes Memorial Library, and Mouse Island in Lake Erie. Also found are diaries and an autograph book of Mary Sherman Hayes and scrapbooks of a foreign trip in 1902, theater bills, the Hayes Presidency, and the McKinley Presidency.
6 linear ft.
3. Miscellaneous Envelopes
4. Society of Colonial Wars (includes genealogical material)
5. Misc. Clippings
6. Wedding Announcements
7. Cookbook - Mrs. B.A.H.
8. Diary 1871 - Social Life, Toledo 1878-1884
9. Declaration of Trusts 1917
10. Title Abstracts
11. Estate of Rutherford B. Hayes
12. Estate of Rutherford B. Hayes
13. Estate of Sardis Birchard
14-36. Correspondence 1860-1895
1-31. Correspondence 1896-1917
1-17. Correspondence 1918-1930
18. Birchard Hayes Estate, Mouse Island
19. Abstract of Title of Boalt Addition, Toledo, Ohio
20. Abstract of Title of Wheeling Addition, Toledo, Ohio
21. U.S. Supreme Court
22. Federal Statutes, Listing of U.S. Cases
23. Listing of Insurance Policies, Spiegel Grove
24. 1924 Hayes Memorial Shelf List
25. Magazine List in Residence
26. Listing of R.B.H. Letters
27. Account Book - Farmer’s Bank Garver & Goddard
28. Checkbook - August 11, 1913-January 22, 1914
29. Genealogical Information
30. Baby History of Sherman, Webb, Walter, Scott
31. Surveying Exercise Book, Cornell
32. Law School Exercise Book
33. WW I Sugar Ration
1. Mary Sherman Hayes Diary - January 1, 1923-June 1, 1924; 1913-1917; 1918-1922
2. Mary E. Sherman Album - 1821-1844
3. Mary N. Sherman Autograph Book, Wells College - 1878-1879
4. Index of Portraits
5. Scrapbook of Foreign Trip - July 22-October 1, 1902, Mary S. Hayes, Sherman Otis Hayes
6. Scrapbook of Theater Bills
7. Scrapbook of Theater Bills
8. Scrapbook of Hayes Presidency
9. Scrapbook of McKinley Presidency