Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
Daniel D. White Family
Scope and Content
The collection was donated to the Hayes Presidential Center in 2000 by a White family descendant.
Born May 17, 1861, in Groton Twp., Erie County, Ohio, Daniel Douglas White was the son of Ebenezer and Ellen (Jones) White. Ebenezer had migrated with his father, Captain John White, from Hatfield, Massachusetts to Erie County, Ohio in 1835. Captain John White was a direct descendant of Elder John White, who emigrated from England to Massachusetts in 1632. A farmer of Groton Twp., Ebenezer served as a township trustee, justice of the peace, and county commissioner.
Daniel married Dora Chase, daughter of Henry Chase of Margaretta Twp., in 1885. A son, Sidney Charles, was born in 1895. Daniel continued to farm in Groton Twp. until 1905 when he became one of the officers and a director of the Castalia Banking Company. He also served on the Board of Control of the Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station at Wooster, Ohio, and was active in the Grange at the local, state, and national levels. The oldest resident in Erie County, Ohio, Daniel White died in 1961 at the age of 100.
Sidney married Rosalie Clara Babione, daughter of George Babione of Fremont, Ohio, in 1919. They were the parents of one daughter, Joyce Rosalie. Sidney was a veteran of World War II, a brakeman for the Pennsylvania Railroad, and stationery engineer for Erie County. Joyce married Joseph Hardecker. They were the parents of one child, Holly, who was born in New York City. Joyce White Hardecker pursued a career in opera, appearing with the New York Metropolitan Opera, the Lyric Opera of Chicago, and the Cincinnati Opera Company. She returned to Erie County, Ohio, in 1969, residing there until her death in 1996.
Scope and Content
The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence, legal documents, business records, and memorabilia of four generations of the Groton Twp., Erie County, Ohio, White family (John, Ebenezer, Daniel, and Sidney), beginning with the 1854 correspondence of Ebenezer White regarding family property in Hatfield, Massachusetts and concluding with legal documents of Sidney C. and Rosalie Babione White and the 1961 obituary of Daniel D. White.
1/4 linear ft.
1. Ebenezer White Correspondence, 1854-1855 (sale of homestead in Hatfield, Massachusetts)
2. Ebenezer White Correspondence, 1871 (Daniel White estate)
3. Ebenezer White Calling Cards
4. Ebenezer White Estate (Ellen E. White Dower Interest, n.d.)
5. John White Groton Twp., Erie County, Ohio (Will, 1861)
6. George White, Erie County, Ohio (Will, 1884)
7. Daniel D. White Daily Expense Ledger, 1894-1898
8. Daniel D. White Daily Expense Ledger, 1899-1904
9. "Reminiscence of Pioneer Days of Castalia, Ohio" by (Mrs. Daniel) Dora Chase White, 1915
10. Daniel D. White Obituary and Memorabilia
11. Property Deeds, Sandusky County, Ohio
12. Property Deeds, Erie County, Ohio
13. Sidney White/Rosalie Babione, Marriage License, Baptismal Certificates
14. Babione Family Financial Documents
15. John K. and Margaret J. Tompkins Legal Documents, 1889
16. Miscellaneous Items