Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
United Ancient Order of the Druids, Schiller Grove #14 Fremont, Ohio
Scope and Content
The minutes of Schiller Grove #14 United Ancient Order of the Druids were donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center by Patricia Dwyer in 2007.
The United Ancient Order of the Druids is a fraternal organization founded in London, England in 1771 by Henry Hurle, who hoped to promote “good fellowship, hilarity and brotherly love.” Based on the principles and virtues of Ancient Druidism, the organization’s purpose was to promote Druidism’s lessons and teachings in developing intellect, harmony, and justice. The organization believes that Druidism was a “way of life,” a system of morality. While Druidism espouses good citizenship, it rejects all forms of religious and political philosophies. The aims of the Druids are “Unity, Peace, and Concord.” Its motto is “United To Assist.” Applicants for membership must be men between the ages of 18 and 50 years old; of unblemished character; mentally and bodily sound; and recognize and respect “The Supreme Power of the Universe.” In the United States, the Druids first organized in New York in 1830. Gradually the order expanded, establishing chapters in other states.
Scope and Content
The records of the United Ancient Order of the Druids, Schiller Grove #14, consist of a single ledger containing meeting minutes written in German script. The minutes appear to record the establishment of the Fremont, Ohio chapter on July 21, 1859. The results of elections and records of dues payments are listed periodically throughout the ledger. Early members included Christian Michael, William Schrader, Jacob Faller, Frederick Willmer, Lewis Eichel, Jacob Zorn, Joseph Magrum, Gottlieb Schell, Adolph Wolf, Jacob Hartman, and George Homan, who appears in the ledger as the first secretary. By 1861, membership had grown to 20 individuals. Later members include Frederick Frentzel, Jacob and John Keller, A. Young, John Doncyson, Paul Knerr, Charles Bellinger, Joseph Hidler, John Krebs, Lorenzo Dick, Val. Zerman, John Offinger, Jacob Bauman, and Jacob Horlacher, Meetings were held weekly in Fremont, Ohio, at the corner of Arch and State Streets. Schiller Grove #14 existed until at least 1890. When the organization disbanded is unknown
The records consist of a single ledger containing United Order of the Ancient Druids Schiller Grove #14 weekly meeting minutes and other organization business written entirely in German script. The records date from July 21, 1859 to April 26, 1869.