Local History Collections

Collection ID: LH-163
Location: LH -63

(Description ID: 595219)

Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums

Trinity United Methodist Church


Agency History
Scope and Content

The records were donated by the church to the Hayes Presidential Center. Additional historical material may be found in the Local History File in the Library Reading Room.

Agency History
Pastor John Meck founded the church in 1860 as the "Emanuel Society of the Evangelical Association." The first services were held in the English Methodist Church and the Sandusky County Courthouse. The first church was built at the corner of Court and Wayne Streets in 1862 on property donated by Sardis Birchard. That building was torn down in 1894 and replaced by the current building which was dedicated on January 20, 1895. Substantial additions and renovations were made in 1913 and 1953. The church was known as Trinity Evangelical Brethren Church until the current name was taken in the late 1960's.

Scope and Content
The collection consists of a miscellaneous group of records of the church from 1922 to 1961. The most significant of these include the financial records and the church's minutes from 1924 to 1947. Other material includes a history, newsletters and bulletins, as well as a small amount of financial correspondence and minutes from the Women's Missionary Society.


Box 1

1 History
2 Correspondence, Bills, Legal Papers 1939-1944
3 Bulletins 1929-1961
4 Special Services 1930-1961
5 "Trinity Traveler" 1943-1945
6 "Trinity Newsletter" 1952-1953
7 Publications (National) 1908-1961
8 Photograph

Box 2

1 Pledge Cards 1922-1925
2 Record Sheets of Financial Secretary August 1924-December 1927
3 Record Sheets of Financial Secretary January 1928-December 1934
4 Record Sheets of Financial Secretary January 1935-August 1940
5 Record Sheets of Financial Secretary August 1940-July 1944
6 Record Sheets of Financial Secretary August 1944-July 1947
7 Financial Reports 1952-1957

Box 3

1 Secretary's Book September 15, 1924-September 30, 1931
2 Secretary's Book October 5, 1931- March 6, 1936
3 Secretary's Book April 6, 1936- July 7, 1947
4 Women's Missionary Society Corresponding Secretary's Report 1927-1938
5 Women's Missionary Society Minute Book January 1928-January 1935