Local History Collections

Collection ID: LH MSS
Location: LH MSS

(Description ID: 606934)

Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

James A. Dickinson



Biographical Sketch

Scope and Content




Photocopies of the James A. Dickinson material was donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in 1990 by descendants of the Dickinson family.

Biographical Sketch

James Alpheus Dickinson, born May 22, 1849, Sandusky County, Ohio was the youngest son of Rudolphus and Marguerite (Beaugrand) Dickinson. The Dickinson and Beaugrand families were among the earliest pioneers to settle in the Sandusky region. Rudolphus Dickinson became prosecuting attorney of the county and was a member of Ohio's Board of Public Works. In 1846, Dickinson was elected to Congress and re-elected in 1848. In March of 1849, two months prior to the birth of James, Dickinson died in Washington, D.C. At the age of thirteen, James ran away from home, enlisting as a first class cabin boy in the U.S. Navy in May of 1863. The greater portion of his one-year enlistment was spent aboard the gunboat Tawah on the Mississippi River. Following his service, Dickinson attended Notre Dame (1866-1869). He eventually returned to Fremont to practice law. Family data states he also practiced medicine in North Carolina. Around 1880, Dickinson moved to Washington, D.C. and entered government service in the Treasury Department and later, in the Department of Labor and Commerce. In 1886, Dickinson married Hattie Platt in Washington, D.C. Dickinson was the father of two daughters: Mrs. Areme Bennett and Mrs. Marguerite Bruckner. Dickinson died in Washington, D.C. November 12, 1922. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of a photocopy of Dickinson's diary and memorandum book kept during and shortly after his Civil War service, miscellaneous Dickinson/Beaugrand family data, funeral notice of Rudolphus Dickinson, a letter written by Dickinson to a Sandusky County, Ohio friend during the war, and a photocopy of a watercolor portrait of Dickinson taken in his sailor's uniform (ca. 1863-1864). The Dickinson diary is that of a bright, young boy seeking adventure as well as his manhood amidst the chaos of war. His daily entries (May 1863 to May 1864) provide an excellent perspective of a sailor's life aboard a gunboat of the Mississippi River Squadron during the Civil War: He offers factual data about crew size and composition, armament, duties, combat, food, equipment, living conditions, other vessels, and stops along the Mississippi, Cumberland, and Tennessee Rivers.

A typed transcript of the diary from May 14, 1863 to May 27, 1864 appears below.


Ac. 5118 Photocopies, 1863 to 1990

Diary: May 14, 1863-May 6, 1864 and online transcription

Memorandum Book: May 24, 1864-Sept. 17, 1865 Memorandum Book: [Diary entries through May 27, 1865] and online transcription

Letter to Joe Batig from James A. Dickinson: May 10, 1864

Correspondence re: Beaugrand estate claims, 1849-1856

Miscellaneous notes re: family data

Funeral notice of Rudolphus Dickinson

Print of watercolor portrait of James A. Dickinson in U.S. Navy uniform

Obituary of James A. Dickinson from Fremont Daily News

News-Messenger article with Dickinson diary excerpts


James A. Dickinson Diary May 14, 1863 to May 27, 1864

May 1863 June 1863 July 1863 August 1863 September 1863 October 1863 November 1863 December 1863 January 1864 February 1864 March 1864 April 1864 May 1864

May 14th 1863 Found a handbill in a farmer's wagon. It said recruits were wanted for the 113th O.V.I . The recruiting office is in Cleveland, Ohio. I spoke to Will Deal and Leo Bruner and they promised to run away and enlist. We will go tomorrow night if we can raise the spondulics.

May 15th 1863 Sold a lot of old iron and some lead and some copper to Charley Thompson. Sold some rags to Mr J. D. Botefur Esq.. Raised two dollars and eighty-five cents all told. Bought ten cents worth of peanuts and Leo Bruner, Will Deal and myself eat them up. Leo bought cigars of ake [sp] Lesher and we smoked and talked about going to the war. Leo and Will Deal will start early tomorrow morning and walk to Clyde where I will meet them on the cars.

May 16th 1863 Left home on the twelve o'clock train, arrived at Cleveland at half past three on the afternoon. (Did not find Will or Leo at Clyde or anywhere else. I guess they backed out.) Went to Uncle Marshal's office and got directed to 4½ Bank street. Tried to enlist in the 113th Ohio Infantry. Officer wouldn't take me. I am not big enough for a soldier, they have all drummers they want and my lips are too thick to play the bugle. I went and enlisted in the Navy anyhow, as a first -class boy and we are going to Vicksburg to take the place.

May 17th 1863 (Sunday) Today is Sunday and it is awful lonely. I have been loafing around all day watching the girls. Did not even look at a church and got Tight [sp] in the bargain. Bought a plug of tobacco which I am going to chew because all sailors chew tobacco. There is about twenty other fellows enlisted. We get our grub at the City Hotel. I slept there last night.

May 18th 1863 I and another fellow named Douglas Cannon, who came from Erie and enlisted, went to a store and had our measures taken for a suit of Navy clothes. I enlisted under Lieutenant Cottle as powder monkey for the term of service of one year. One of the boys who enlisted a few days ago is a girl. Lt. Cottle sent her home when I told him she was a woman.

May 19th 1863 They had a Union Mass Convention here yesterday and I saw Mr. Jack Harris, Mr. Downs, Flavel Downs and a lot of others from Fremont. There is about forty of us now. We paraded the streets yesterday and I met Uncle Marshal. I tried to dodge but he saw me.

May 20th 1863 We went up to the doctor's today to get examined and we were all pronounced sound after a careful examination. I sent some papers home to John and wrote a long letter to Mother. Saw Uncle Marshal and told him Mother gave her consent to my enlisting providing I went in the Navy. He told Lt. Cottle that I was not fourteen years old yet. I enlisted as sixteen years old.

May 21st 1863 I received my Navy clothes to-day [sp]. They fit me tip top. I sold my old clothes to a jew and got $1.50 for them and I spent it right off. I went up to Aunt Ellen's house to-day [sp] and saw her and Nellie and Marshy. Went down to the Lake shore this afternoon and had the rules and regulations of the Navy read to us. They are pretty tough.

May 22nd 1863 My birth-day [sp]. I am fourteen years old today. Got Lt. Cottle to give me a furlough for three days. Started home at four o'clock this afternoon; reached there at half-past seven found the folks all right. Had not received my letter yet.

May 23rd 1863 Went white bass fishing to-day [sp]. Caught one and two sago bass and a perch. Went over to Botefur in the evening, Alice was not to home; saw Mary and the rest of them though. I wish to thunderation I had seen Alice. My sailor suit has set half of the boys crazy and they all want to go in the Navy.

May 24th 1863 (Sunday) So to-day [sp] is Sunday. It is hard work to keep a diary. I went to low Mass today and to high Mass too. Went to Vespers and after Vespers I went boat-riding [sp]. Had a real nice time. Was going over to Botefur's this evening but changed my mind and stayed at home with Mother. I am going away again tomorrow afternoon. Went up to the dam this afternoon and catched crabs.

May 25th 1863 I went up to Vene Kelley's to-day [sp] and saw Alice. She felt bad because I was going away. I promised to write to her and she promised to write to me. "We shall meet-but-I shall miss him." I did not go away on the noon train but had to wait until six o'clock. Went down to Uncle Peter's office and he gave me $5.00 to pay any travelling [sp] expenses. Mother and Joe Laforce went to the depot with me. Got to Cleveland about nine o'clock and found out the boys had left for Erie, Penn. followed them and got here at two o'clock this morning.

May 26th 1863 Got to bed at Brown's Hotel about two o'clock this morning and slept until ten o'clock and went on the Michigan. Got on the Michigan just in time to save myself from being put down as a deserter. I am rated as a first-class when we were mustered in. Took dinner on the Michigan. We left Erie at half-past one and got to Cleveland about six. Changed cars, got a supper of bologn [sp], bread and coffee and went to Monroeville. Got to Monroeville about eight o'clock and went right on to Columbus.

May 26th 1863 [Second entry for the date] Got to bed at Brown's Hotel about two o'clock this morning and slept till ten then went on the Revenue Cutter Michigan. Got on the Michigan just in time to save myself from being put down as a deserter. Was mustered in and am rated as a first-class boy. Took dinner on board the Michigan and left Erie at half-past one o'clock in the afternoon. We got to Cleveland about six o'clock. We had a big supper of fried bologna, baker's bread and strong coffee. Changed cars and went to Monroeville.

May 27th 1863 Got to Monroeville about eight o'clock. Lt Cottle left us at Cleveland and we all felt bad over it especially me and my chum Erastus Sherman who lives a Chagrin Falls. At Monroeville we switched off and went right on to Columbus where we changed cars and went to Cincinnati where we got our breakfast this morning.

May 28th 1863 Got our supper in Evansville last night. Changed cars again and laid there a long time. Passed through part of Indiana and part of Illinois. Saw some very nice people who gave us sandwiches, pies, milk and friedcakes [sp]. We had our supper in Centralia to-night [sp] where we once more changed cars. I hooked two big pies and a piece of ham and my chum hooked all his pockets full of apples. One of the men saw us, but the boys said they would break his arms and legs, so he was scared and kept this mouth shut.

May 29th 1863 We arrived at Cairo Illinois at half past five this morning. Went right on the Receiving Ship "Clara Dolsen" and got our breakfast. After dinner to-day [sp] we drew our hammocks and clothes-bags. This is a pretty big boat and has lots of material of war except cannon. There is only one cannon on the boat. It is a "long to,." thirty-two pounder and is mounted on the forecastle. It is for the officers to drill with.

May 30th 1863 A fresh breeze swept down the river last night and I slept colder than the dickens. It rained and I did not have any blanket. I fell out of my hammock five or six times last night. I do not believe I can learn to lay in one all night without falling out of it. All the seamen of our draft, also the landsmen, left for the lower or iron-clad fleet. They numbered forty-five. The boys numbering 20 are left behind. Cairo does not look like much of a place from the Dolsen and I guess it is not either.

May 31st 1863 (Sunday) This is Sunday. This morning we were all mustered forward and the roll called. Sold my necktie this morning to the old "soft-tack" peddler for fifty cents and bought some milk and gingerbread. It almost makes me sick to eat the nasty salt-pork [sp] and pilot-bread [sp], but I suppose it is no use to feel bad over it as there is no one to blame but myself. The second Cleveland draft got here and came on board to-day [sp]. go back to top of Transcription

June 1st 1863 Drew blankets today. I also drew one pair pants, one cap, one necktie, one blue over-shirt [sp] and one pair of socks. A draft arrived from Chicago this morning; there were boys and men from Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. Went in swimming in the wheel-house [sp] of the boat.

June 2nd 1863 We were each furnished with a cup, pan, and a spoon this morning. Our breakfast consists of a quart cup of coffee and all the hard-tack we can eat, which is not much for me. For dinner we had salt pork and beans while for supper we had beech-leaf tea and hard-tack all of which will make me stout in time I suppose, If I do not cave in.

June 3rd 1863 The programme [sp] of our grub is about this way: we get fresh beef and potatoes Wednesday and Sundays: salt-pork [sp] and bean soup Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays: salt beef and dried apples Monday and Fridays. Now and then we have scouse for breakfast.

June 4th 1863 A boy fell overboard today but grabbed and held on the rudder while a man named Jack Sheppard jumped overboard and held him up until the dingy came around and picked them up.

June 5th 1863 A Buffalo draft came onboard this afternoon, numbering about 25 men most all New Yorkers. There is about 45 white men and 60 niggers aboard of this craft. Four men and three boys were drafted on the Argosy [sp] this afternoon. Wrote a letter to my mother. The monitor-ram Osage came up this afternoon.

June 6th 1863 Some more men and boys were drafted on the Argosy this morning. I was called out as one of them, and as soon as I heard my name called I sneaked away to the stern and made my way into the after-hold. My chum McCellan (Erastus Sherman) brought me a plate-ful [sp] of salt-pork [sp] and thick bean soup this afternoon. Found a broken barrel of hard-tack [sp]. Eat lots of it dipped into molasses which I hooked.

June 7th 1863 (Sunday) Came out of the hold last night after silence was piped and turned into my hammock. Did not sleep good and fell out of my hammock three or four times. Turned out pretty early this morning and went back into the hold. Mac brought me some dinner. They hunted all over the boat for me. They think I fell over board and got drowned. The Argosy [sp] draft went down this afternoon.

June 8th 1863 Joined my mess at breakfast this morning. Officer gave me the devil when I was reported to him. Had to roll a 68 lb ball on a crack for four hours. Nothing when used to it.

June 9th 1863 My back is nearly broken. I had to roll the blamed old ball four hours more to-day [sp] for missing inspection last Sunday. Besides, the officer of the deck would not let me go in swimming this evening.

June 10th 1863 A nigger called me a ball-roller this morning and laughed at me. I hit him with a marling spike and had to roll that dam [sp] ball once more, for two hours. _____ nigger had to roll it for four hours for starting the fuss.

June 11th 1863 Mac and I cut down the nigger's hammock last night so that his head got a bully bump on the hard deck. They are now building a turtle-boat near the wharf. It used to be a middle-wheel ferry-boat called the Fanny. She is not a very large boat.

June 12th 1863 Wrote a letter to Alice Botefur, also wrote one to Sis. Mac, myself, Walter Johnson, Lemiel H. Cook, Tommy Connors and four or five other boys swam to the Kentucky shore to-day [sp] and played Indian for two or three hours. Walked up to the point and swam back again. Officer of the deck said he would punish us tomorrow.

June 13th 1863 All of us boys who swam ashore yesterday except Mac, had to roll balls today for four hours. Mac cannot swim, so Johnson and I carried him ashore by letting him hang to our shoulders.

June 14th 1863 (Sunday) Inspection to-day [sp]. The fleet chaplain visited the Dolsen to-day [sp]. He has a nice little gig manned by ten little boys under twelve years of age.

June 15th 1863 Another Cleveland draft came onboard yesterday morning and among them was Johnny Thompson, the old Captain of the B.I.C., also Henry Anderson, a brother-in-law of Henry Lesher. Wrote a letter to mother. The crew went to work this afternoon and hoisted five thousand mortar shells out of the hold into the ordnance boat New National which lay alongside.

June 16th 1863 Six thousand soldiers, commanded by Major General A.E. Burnside, arrived here to-day [sp] from Cincinnati. About three thousand rebel prisoners from about Vicksburg came up to-day [sp] on transports. Monitor ram Osage left for Vicksburg. I and seven other boys and eight men were drafted on the new gunboat called the Fanny. We pumped all the bilge water out of the hold.

June 17th 1863 Been hard at work all day. Cleared the decks of all rubbish and scraped the decks of pitch, tar and paint. Our boat is a stout looking little craft with the sides fourteen inches thick. The bow _________ is eighteen inches thick with rolled plates of iron two and a half inches thick. The stern is fourteen inches thick with an inch of iron. There is no iron on the sides. We have two thirty-pounder rifled Parrott [sp] cannon, four twenty-four pounder smooth-bore shell guns and two twelve pounder rifled Wiard steel guns. The Wiard guns were not mounted so we had to mount them ourselves.

June 18th 1863 Another man [sp] came onboard to-day [sp]. This boat's name is "Tawah". Tug Myrtle towed us out in the stream. Forty-five men and boys came onboard. Henry Anderson is one.

June 19th 1863 Firemen and coal-heavers appointed. Steam was raised and we steamed up the Ohio River to within two miles of Mound City and then returned to anchorage. Officers said the boat went bully.

June 20th 1863 Laid to wharf boat this morning and took on cutlasses, boarding-pikes and Enfield rifles; also cannon and rifle ammunition, fire buckets and all equipments. We have come down to strict rules now. Have to turn out when "lash hammocks" is piped and lash with seven turns and a hitch. And we dare not even whisper when silence is piped fore and aft. The Mississippi is awful muddy and it made all of us sick to drink the water.

June 21st 1863 (Sunday) First inspection on the Tawah. Passed Island No. 10, New Madrid, and Fort Pillow and arrived at Memphis. Coaled up and at half-past seven this evening started on our way again down the river. Stopped at Peyton an hour - shoved out and kept on.

June 22nd 1863 Arrived at Helena, Ark. this afternoon. U.S.S. General Bragg lying at anchor in the River. Stood guard last night on the hurricane deck. Went away in the cutter to the Mississippi shore and got some blackberries. Exercised on great guns for two hours.

June 23rd 1863 All hands piped up at four o'clock this morning. I was on guard on the fantail last night. Commenced coaling at ten o'clock this morning and kept it up until nine o'clock this evening.

June 24th 1863 At half-past seven this morning we cast loose from the barge, shoved out and stood up the Mississippi. Drilled at great guns for two hours to-day [sp], also had practice at fire-quarters and repelling boarders.

June 25th 1863 Passed Memphis at noon. Made for a coalbarge about three miles above. A lot of troops are encamped on the heights below the city - maybe the 72nd is among them. Took on 300 bushels of coal and started on.

June 26th 1863 Passed steamers Nonpareil, Jack-o-Lantern and Sallie List with U.S.S. Ranger. Arrived at Island No. 10. Passed two other gunboats there at dusk, but did not find out their names. Drill to-day [sp] same as usual. Had false alarms of fire to practice the boys.

June 27th 1863 Passed Hickman this morning. Expect to reach Cairo tomorrow noon. Passed the Glendale, Belle Memphis, tug Myrtle, tow boat Brown and U.S.S. Forest Rose. Adam Saufferhelt fell overboard this evening but was picked up by the cutter.

June 28th 1863 (Sunday) Arrived at Cairo, on blue water, this afternoon about two o'clock. Saluted the Neoshe by dipping our colors. Laid into the coalbarge and took on about 800 bushels of coal. Knocked off at nine o'clock this night.

June 29th 1863 Stood sentry last night at forward Port gangway. This morning steamed out into the stream and cast anchor. Washed decks twice to-day [sp]. Scrubbed paintwork and scraped guards.

June 30th 1863 Laid in to the Naval wharf-boat and took in stores and some more ammunition. Capt. Phelps left with his buck nigger steward. Capt. Jason Goudy came onboard and assumed command of the Tawah. Officers are divided into two messes wardroom and steerage. Charles Newton, a Wisconsin boy, is steerage steward with Tommy Conners and I for pantrymen. go back to top of Transcription

July 1st 1863 Stood in and lashed to the Naval wharf boat this morning and took on 3000 rounds of cannon ammunition and 30,000 rounds of Enfield cartridges. We also took on a lot of hard-tack [sp], dessicated [sp] vegetables and canned meat for some other gunboats.

July 2nd 1863 Arrived here at Paducah about ten o'clock last night. This is one of the finest cities in the South (in a hog's eye) according to Cairo papers. It is about the size of Sandusky city. We are anchored almost opposite the fort.

July 3rd 1863 Weighed anchor and started up the Tennessee river for the Muscle Shoals. We are assigned to the Tennessee River fleet. Have just found out that we are going to Ft. Henry. Tommy Conners is put in the wardroom. Stood guard last night.

July 4th 1863 We are tied to a coalbarge off Ft. Himon about a mile and a half above Ft. Henry on the opposite side of the river. Arrived here last night. Gunboats Exchange, Key West, Fanny Barker and Robb are lying here. We fired a salute of 101 guns. Port watch went ashore this afternoon and got lots of great big blackberries and some spring water.

July 5th 1863 (Sunday) Muster and general inspection this morning. Our crew numbers 77 Officers and men. Exchange, Key West and Fanny Barker started up the river this morning for Savannah. Each boat has forty miles to patrol. The Robb started down with the mail.

July 6th 1863 Some forty of the men with two officers, in the boats, started down to Fort Henry in the morning. Got back in the afternoon. When going back to their boats from the fort some bushwackers [sp] belted away at the boys without doing any injury. The boys returned the compliment.

July 7th 1863 We steamed down to Fort Henry to learn the results of yesterday's powder burning. Found lots of blood stains in the brush back of the fort, which shows that someone got hurt. Found a Mississippi waist belt.

July 8th 1863 The Robb returned about three o'clock this morning bringing mail. I received a Catholic Telegraph. On guard on fantail last night Anderson and Billy Houck kept me company after silence was piped, squatting on the fantail and spinning yarns until after four bells.

July 9th 1863 Started up the river to-day [sp], landed at the "bend", where Capt. Goudy went ashore for sometime. On his return we pushed out and kept on to Perryville where we made another landing. Afterward steamed up to Turkey Island where we anchored.

July 10th 1863 Raised anchor at 8 a.m. and went up to Clifton then returned. Stopped at Carollville for two hours, then went down to Tom Cade's landing tied to bank and sent out pickets. I was on fantail guard last night.

July 11th 1863 Started down the river yesterday evening. Shot at a flock of buzzards with one of our 24's and killed some of them. Rounded to at Ft. Himon. Everything all right.

July 12th (Sunday) 1863 Went ashore and up to the fort. The soldiers practiced at an old house about a mile and a half off, with their cannon. Got all the blackberries I could eat and a messkettle full besides. Stood guard on forecastle last night. Capt. Phillips the scout went ashore and killed two beares [sp], one of which he gave to us.

July 13th 1863 Robb came up last night with the mail. I got two Telegraphs of first part of June. Received news of capture of Vicksburg with 30,000 prisoners by Grant. Also that Gen. Meade with the Army of the Potomac had licked Lee like the devil at Gettysburg in Pennsylvania. We fired a salute of 34 guns.

July 14th 1863 Nothing of much account. Stood fantail guard last night for Charley Newton who had the chills. I would just as leave stand guard as sleep these warm nights. Coaled - 800 bushels.

July 15th 1863 Stood guard on fantail last night - relieved Twitchel. Our scouts came in with eleven prisoners. Raised anchor this afternoon and started up the river.

July 16th 1863 Stopped at Perryville an hour. Stopped at Turkey Island No. 2. Capt. went ashore and hunted for two hours but did not kill any. Old Jack Martin killed two big fellows and gave one to our mess. Had some for dinner.

July 17th 1863 Anchored two miles below Cade's landing last night. Weighed and steamed to Cade's this a.m.. Cast loose about ten and steamed up the river. While passing under the Bluffs below Carollville we were fired into by a body of rebels who slapped it to us for ten minutes before we could get out of the current and elevate our guns sufficient to hit them. We then gave them such a dose of shells and shrapnel that they everlastingly lit out. We were "at quarters" in less than a minute from the boatswain's "pipe". A M.M. Weave was slightly wounded in the handed [sp] and Wm. Mozzington (Asst. Engineer) in the right calf of the leg by a splinter. Anderson was washing [sp] on the guards and came near being hit, several balls striking close to him. I was a little scared but quickly got over it. Anderson tried to sponge his gun with water but Goudy stopped him.

July 18th 1863 After the riot yesterday we steamed up to Carollville then to Clifton where we cleaned our guns and washed down decks. Weave and Mozzington are all right. Rifle drill.

July 19th 1863 (Sunday) Muster and General Inspection. Captain Phillips came on board to-day [sp]. He is going East looking for Rosecrans' army. Started down the river this morning. Stopped three or four places.

July 20th 1863 Got here (Ft. Himon) this afternoon and coaled. Twenty ____ went out on a scout. Ranged about six miles then returned. It is ten o'clock and I am tired and hungry.

July 21st 1863 The little stern-wheeler attempted to leave without permission. She was almost opposite Ft. Henry when missed. Captain Goudy immediately threw a shell to her from one of our steel guns which brought her to in a jiffy and brought her back.

July 22nd 1863 The Muscle left this morning convoyed by the Key West (No. 32). Weighed anchor and went up the river. Were fired into at the "bridge" by some rebs who were in the bridge-house. Cleaned them out quickly. One of the pilots got a ball through his cap. Shelled the woods considerably. Sent a party ashore but they found only three dead rebs. Anchored in midstream.

July 23rd 1863 Went ashore to bury the Johnnies but they had gone. Got four bullet-holes in our smoke-stacks yesterday and our wooden sides were well peppered. Found and destroyed two canoes and a raft.

July 24th 1863 Got back to the post at six this morning found the fort abandoned and the coalbarge sunk. Wrote a letter to mother. Laid in to the barges and commenced pumping. We raised two of them, the Exchange coming down finished with us, the others.

July 25th 1863 Towed the five barges out in the stream. The Robb came up, no mail for me. She was fired into last night and hit eight times - rifles. Started up the river. Robb guarding the barges.

July 26th 1863 (Sunday) Stopped here (bridge) yesterday afternoon. Last night quartermaster Miles reported a number of men gathering in the bridge house. Our watch was on with Adams for officer of the deck. Gave them twelve shell and they evaporated. Been cutting and hauling wood all day long.

July 27th 1863 Thirty men went out on a scout this morning to a place called Dick Davis' about 13 miles away. Picked up five of Davis' "groundhogs" who were armed to the teeth. About a mile from the boat this evening we were fired on by guerrillas but no one hurt.

July 28th 1863 Started up last night and when ________ Island was reached landed Mr. Adams with twelve men. They will scout down and meet us at the bridge. An extra wash day for those who were ashore yesterday.

July 29th 1863 Adams came on board this morning with three prisoners - one wounded in the arm by an Enfield ball. Went up this forenoon. Met Fanny Barker - she turned. Met Exchange - she turned. We all went up to Culp's landing and anchored.

July 30th 1863 Key West came down last night and anchored with us. At sunrise about 200 men from our four boats started off to capture a rebel conscripting party. Were met about two miles from river and driven back in disorder. When boats got range the rebels were quickly driven back and scattered. Will Symonds wounded in leg with a pistol ball.

July 31st 1863 Quite a number of rebs were killed or wounded so a deserter says who came aboard this morning. He is slightly wounded by some of our spherical case shot. Washed decks. Went down the river. go back to top of Transcription

August 1st, 1863 Cut up two canoes and a large raft. Went ashore in the cutter seven times to-day [sp]. Took on a family of refugees who were burnt out and want to go North.

August 2nd, 1863 (Sunday) August Second! What fun I used to have at home on this day. Today it was observed by eating hardtack and salt-pork [sp], and scrubbing down decks, instead of being at home stuffing myself with cake, pie, apples, beer, cider, etc.

August 3rd, 1863 Stood guard, last night, on Hurricane deck. Arrived here at bridge last evening. Key West & Exchange coaled and started for their stations this forenoon. Robb started down, Fanny Barker started up this P.M..

August 4th, 1863 Coaled this morning. Started up about one o'clock P.M. leaving Paw Paw to watch the coal-barges.

August 5th, 1863 Standing guard this A.M. over the rebel officers on the Hurricane deck, I felt faint and keeled over - was prostrated by heat. Was pretty well doctored up by the surgeon who gave me some genuine Chicago sanitary.

August 6th, 1863 Surgeon says I was sunstruck yesterday. Am on sick list. Was my guard last night but escaped it by the sunstroke.

August 7th, 1863 On sick list. I am satisfied. Stopped at Culp's Landing where some niggers informed us that rebels were below (Wilson's) ____ bend. Started down and run across a large camp of them which we speedily shelled-out [sp].

August 8th, 1863 Still on sick list. Patrolled from Culp's to bend 57 [?]. Took on three refugees, two of whom, Isaiah Watkins and Charles Wolford, enlisted each for one year. Both had been laying out for six weeks, Watkins with a rifle bullet-hole in his arm.

August 9th, 1863 (Sunday) On sick list. Went up seven miles above Clifton. When returning were fired into from Clifton Hydraulic Works. Shelled them out and demolished, completely, the remains.

August 10th, 1863 Took on sixty cords of wood. Cap Wheat's rebs made a dash on our pickets, drove them in and captured Powers. By the time we had our arms and were formed, they were gone.

August 11th, 1863 Finished wooding. Got off of sick list in time to help wood up. Went up to Clifton and returned to Cades'.

August 12th, 1863 Powers swam over to the boat about four o'clock this morning . He got away from Wheat's men night before last by pretending to be lame. Mr. Adams with thirty men went out on a scout to-day [sp].

August 13th, 1863 Mr. Adams and squad returned last night. They were attacked by some of Wheat's men near the cave and driven back but managed to bring in Wheat and one of his men. Mr. Adams was singed by a rifle-ball but no one else was hurt. Went up to Carollville. Col Simms, rebel artillerist, prisoner on parole, came on board to report at Paducah for exchange. Started down the river to the bridge where I hope we shall have some rest.

August 14th, 1863 Met the Robb coming up. She came alongside and took us in tow. Bushwackers belted at us few minutes ago (12M). Gave them a few canister. Arrived here (bridge) this evening. Are coaling by watches.

August 15th, 1863 Finished coaling at half-past three this A.M.. Took on 65 tons, 700 cwt. and did not work hard either. Lay down on deck and slept for an hour or so. Turned to, washed down decks and had a rousing swim before breakfast. Robb went down yesterday. Had inspection of clothes. Mended and washed.

August 16th, 1863 (Sunday) Pawpaw went up this morning. I got two Telegraphs, also a letter from brother John. Anderson got two or three letters and six illustrated papers from Wes Vandercook..

August 17th, 1863 Robb came up bringing two more barges of coal, Col Simms and another mail. I got two Illustrated [sp], some stamped envelopes, letter paper and a letter from mother.

August 18th, 1863 Key West, Exchange & Fanny Barker came down this afternoon. The Barker struck a snag up near Florence and leaks badly. Took on fifteen tons of coal and started up.

August 19th, 1863 Stopped at Matthews' last night. Sent out a party this morning who arrested the old man and his son. Homart and I guarded them to the boat. Started down again.

August 20th, 1863 Arrived at the bridge this A.M.. Matthews and son were sent over on Fanny Barker. Barker went down to Cairo for repairs.

August 21st, 1863 Coaled up snug even to the bunkers. Put up extra pilot-house plates. It is said that Wheeler is once more along the river. Sent Cap. Wheat and 23 other prisoners on Robb and started up with Exchange and Key West.

August 22nd, 1863 Parted with other boats at Perryville. Went through W. Perryville and found about 500 old flint locks and squirrel-rifles. Searched E. Perryville, but uselessly.

August 23rd, 1863 (Sunday) Forty men and three officers went out about ten miles yesterday afternoon and got back this A.M.. Captured 23 rebels. Had a little skirmish with no damage to our side. Of the prisoners, six are awful pot-guts, two are blind of an eye, one has but one arm, five are going on crutches and canes, one has the consumption, two have been bed-ridden eleven years in the aggregate, one just recovering from an attack of malarious fever, one had both legs broken by a fall from a horse and the balance are sound. General inspection.

August 24th, 1863 Still anchored of [sp] Matthews. Stood guard over prisoners last evening. Went ashore in the cutter five times to-day[sp].

August 25th, 1863 Heaved anchor, catted and rigged down in four minutes, thirty-seven seconds, having [sp] out 15 fathoms chain. Steamed up to Clifton then went down to Carollville and anchored.

August 26th, 1863 Started down this morning. Hurricane deck took fire from smokestacks. Burned a hole ten feet square. Put it out in less than no time some officers were scared.

August 27th, 1863 On guard on Hurricane deck last night. Bushwackers fired at boat. Had my gun at support when a ball struck the Enfield and glanced off just burning my left fore-arm. Lamed my wrist some. At post again.

August 28th, 1863 Excused from all duty to-day. Exchange came down this A.M.. Her cruising on this river is ended. Too bad, Old Boat.

August 29th, 1863 Exchange left for Cairo. We are all sorry to part with the Exchange. It is said too that the Tawah is going to leave, perhaps for Port Hudson. I hope not. Robb came up.

August 30th, 1863 (Sunday) Muster and inspection. Went down to Fort Henry. Went ashore twice in the cutter.

August 31st, 1863 Sent out a squad who captured 17 guerrilas[sp] and killed three about six miles from the landing. Returned to the post (bridge). go back to top of Transcription

Sept. 1st, 1863 Coaled last night and started down the river with Robb lashed alongside. Anderson says we are going to Red River. I hope not.

Sept. 2nd, 1863 Got to Paducah this morning (1:30 A.M.). Pawpaw has just started up Tennessee for the bridge with mail. Key West left for Cairo this A.M.. Had rather be at home than go on the Mississippi again.

Sept. 3rd, 1863 Robb left for Mound City this A.M.. Went ashore thirteen times in the cutter and once in the gig. Capt. Goudy read a report of our patrol of the Tennessee. He said we had destroyed seven flatboats, three log and three board rafts and 213 canoes.

Sept. 4th, 1863 Weighed anchor last night at eleven o'clock. Started for Cairo. Arrived here at 4 A.M.. We are anchored opposite Louisiana House. Laid in to barge at 7:30 A.M. to coal. Finished at 12:30 and then took on our provision. Finished that at 5:30.

Sept. 5th, 1863 Took on some boarding-pikes and battle-axes, also 100 solid parrott shot. Started down the river. Passed Hickman at dusk. Received 13 new men.

Sept. 6th, 1863 (Sunday) Passed New Madrid last night, Mound City this forenoon and reached Memphis at 7 P.M.. Laid in to a barge and tied ____ for the night.

Sept. 7th, 1863 Stood guard on the barge last night. Commenced coaling at 9 A.M. and finished at 5 P.M.. Some of the crew got ashore on liberty and we are now 9 P.M. waiting for them.

Sept. 8th, 1863 Mike Hughes and Jack Martin came on board about 10 P.M. and were black listed 40 days for overstaying their time. Started down 11:30 P.M.. Reached our old acqnaintance [sp], Helena, at 5 P.M..

Sept. 9th, 1863 Started down early this A.M.. Reached the mouth of White River this P.M.. Gunboats Lexington, Queen City (Capt. Goudy's old boat) and Benton iron-clad, are lying here.

Sept. 10th, 1863 Battle of Lake Erie. Wonder what is going on at home. Do they miss me. My! What heaps and heaps of fun I would have. Weighed anchor and started up White River this A.M., bound for Duval's Bluff. Awful crooked river. Just passed Clarendon.

Sept. 11th, 1863 Passed wreck of Durnal [?] sunk short time ago. Passed Crockett's Bluff, also St. Charles. Arrived at Duval's Bluff at 4 P.M.. Three gun boats just went down.

Sept. 12th, 1863 Linden, Naumkeag, Hastings, Cricket, Marmora and Kenwood are lying here as are also about 25 transports. Lots of blue bellies ashore. Engineer Lynn went ashore taking ( our dog ) Whiskey with him. Whiskey got lost and seeing the Tawah in the stream. Jumped into the river and out to her and around her until he was noticed and taken on board. The transports have each a calliope and have all been tooting this evening.

Sept. 13th, 1863 ( Sunday ) Muster and general inspection. Rated as a landsman from to-day [sp]. Some of the crew went ashore on liberty. Wrote letters all day.

Sept. 14th, 1863 The army pickets were firing away quite lively last night. Some guerrilas prowling about most likely. Exercised our great guns.

Sept. 15th, 1863 Hastings went down the river this afternoon. We went down this evening and are still ( 9 P.M. ) on our way.

Sept. 16th, 1863 About 2:30 A.M. heard cannonading. At 3 A.M. came on the Hastings who was engaged with a lot of Johnnies. They quieted down at our first broadside. Nobody hurt on Tawah but think that a sailor or two got shot on the Hastings.

Sept. 17th, 1863 Cleaned great guns. A squad went ashore at this place ( Erskine's) early this morning, scouted about and got but muscadines and persimmons. Went up river.

Sept. 18th, 1863 Got to Duval's Bluff last night. Juliet came up this A.M.. Was fired into last night on her way up. News has just come here that the rebs have captured a transport, sunk it in the channel at St. Charles and are trying to blockade the gunboats up the river. If that is what they are up to I think the cavalry will "hoop em up" if necessary. Entire crew went ashore after wood.

Sept. 19th, 1863 Went up river to Little Des Arc to get lumber for soldiers' barracks at the Bluffs. Fired at from the village while taking on lumber. Landed 65 armed men and drove the bushwackers out of the village dropping several of them on the way. Jim Rooney wounded slightly in arm. Returned to the Bluff.

Sept. 20th, 1863 ( Sunday ) Reindeer came up this morning. Rattler went down last night and was fired upon at St. Charles. Port watch (except Newton, Martin and myself ) went ashore P.M..

Sept. 21st, 1863 Queen City, Springfield, Juliet and Tawah went down the river to St. Charles. Were fired into by infantry. Did not discover any batteries. Sailor on Queen City shot.

Sept. 22nd, 1863 Hastings and Romeo arrived this P.M.. They were fired into at or near St. Charles but no one was hurt. Both boats have their bunkers full of coal. Cut wood by watches. It is all green and extremely difficult to carry down to the boat.

Sept. 23rd, 1863 Three hundred men from the fleet were in the woods to-day [sp] felling fire timber. Got 75 cords of it on Tawah. Did not wash decks to-day [sp]. Stood guard on forecastle, Homart on fantail, Newton on Hurricane deck.

Sept. 24th, 1863 Went up to Des Arc with transport Rose Hamilton. When five miles below Des Arc, on the return, Rose H. was fired into by concealed rebs. Tawah quickly advanced and repulsed assailants. Mate of R.H. was shot through breast and cutter called away when firing was going on. Two bullets struck the cutter and one splintered the blade of my oar. Got back to Bluff all right.

Sept. 25th, 1863 Received a bully good letter from Joe Batig. It came by way of Little Rock. Mate of Rose Hamilton was shot through the breast but will live. Surgeon's steward McGavran had a bullet-hole through his clothes. Been chopping and lugging wood all day.

Sept. 26th, 1863 Took on 30 cords of wood. Cricket came up last night. She was fired on but no one hurt. Chopped by watches. Our ( Port ) watch killed a bear, a big brown fellow.

Sept. 27th, 1863 (Sunday) Had bear meat for dinner. Starboard watch had liberty. Some came back pretty full. Wrote a couple of letters - one to Mother. Took on twenty cords of wood. Linden and Marmora went up the river. Bob King and Adam Soufferhelf captured by guerrilas.

Sept. 28th, 1863 Juliet, Ranger and Cricket went up the river after the Linden and Marmora did. Springfield, Reindeer and Queen City went up this morning. We started up this afternoon after wooding up.

Sept. 29th, 1863 Passed several of the boats coming down last night during my watch. Passed the Queen City and Cricket this morning. Broke up nine canoes. Anchored below Des Arc. Are going down.

Sept. 30th, 1863 Fired into twice last night. Returned the compliment, of course. Nobody hurt on Tawah. Broke up three canoes. Arrived at post this A.M. . Found Q.C., S., L., M., C., and Ranger. Q.C. just going down the river. Cutting and hauling wood all day. go back to top of Transcription

October 1st, 1863 Enlisted six niggers - runaways. They were assigned as coal-heavers. Hastings came up. Wooding up again.

Oct. 2nd, 1863 Wooding up. Wood-cutters saw a panther and tried to kill it but did not succeed. A lot of the soldiers left for Little Rock.

Oct. 3rd, 1863 Rattler went down with some transports. One of the boys killed a blacksnake eight feet long. Haul our wood a mile.

Oct. 4th, 1863 (Sunday) Muster and Inspection. Port watch had liberty. Tommy Connors brought me some mucadines. Caught a catfish this evening that weighed about twenty-five pounds. Everbody is fishing now-a-days. Nights are getting cooler.

October 5th, 1863 It is rumored that the rebs have stopped the channel at St. Charles. The "boys" had mule races while ashore yesterday. Guess I will go ashore next Sunday if we are on post duty.

Oct. 6th, 1863 The Carondelet and Pittsburg, ironclads, came up this A.M.. Tyler, Lexington, Exchange and Faron ( lately Fanny Barker ) are here. Wrestled wood-pile as usual.

Oct. 7th, 1863 A large number of soldiers came in from Little Rock. I hear they are making considerable of a fort ashore. Woodpile.

Oct. 8th, 1863 Carondelet and Pittsburg went down this A.M.. Newton, Soufferhelt, Hellen and myself swam to the east bank of the river. Were detected by O.D..

Oct 9th, 1863 Tried to get on sick list. No go. Carried my hammock four hours last night for swimming ashore. Newton, Soufferhelt and Hellen kept me company. Whole crew put on half rations.

Oct. 10th, 1863 Started down river at 10 A.M.. Got to St. Charles at 3:30 P.M.. Were fired on and had a skirmish. Did not last long. Tawah struck by a shot or a shell on starboard forward casement. No damage. A splinter, loosened by a musket ball or a canister shot, pierced my cheek and had to be cut off and pulled through. It loosened a tooth and cut my tongue. Dr. pulled tooth. Sent squad ashore. They found four dead rebs and one wounded. Let him go. Started up again.

Oct. 11th, 1863 ( Sunday ) At post ( Duval's Bluff ). Muster and inspection. Jaw awful sore. Tongue is lacerated, so it hurts me to talk. Got on sick list this morning. Niggers were terribly scared yesterday - one fainted away when balls came whistling in portholes and gangways.

October 12th, 1863 Took on 100 cords of wood this A.M. and went up nearly to Des Arc - then returned. Starboard watch went ashore to indulge in target practice. Port watch drilled.

Oct. 13th, 1863 Port watch went ashore for target practice. Jack Martin and I, being on blacklist could not go with them. Starboard watch drilled with rifles. A Cherokee Indian came on board to enlist but Capt. Goudy would not accept him.

October 14th, 1863 Started down this A.M. with Sallie List, a transport. We are on quarter rations to-day [sp]. Mr Adams gave me some genuine old "Chicago Sanitary" this evening. He got it from McGavran. River looks pretty.

October 15th, 1863 Caught up with Pittsburg this P.M.. Taken off of sick list. Broke up a canoe. Bushwacker sent a rifle-bullet into the pilot-house. Writing letters.

Oct. 16th, 1863 Took "cut-off" and came out of Arkansaw [sp] river this A.M.. Scraped about 300 bushels of coal out of a barge, then anchored out in the stream. Sallie List went on her way rejoicing. Wrote to Mother.

Oct. 17th, 1863 Started up this A.M. convoying transports Champion No. 4, Wheeling, Lady Franklin and Doane No. 2 . A company of actors and actresses en route [sp] to Little Rock are on the Lady Franklin.

Oct. 18th, 1863 (Sunday) Guerrilas [sp] attacked transports, right below Lawrenceville. We fired into and speedily dispersed them. Two men shot on Lady Franklin. Theatre [sp] company came on Tawah this evening.

Oct. 19th, 1863 Officers had a dance in the ward-room [sp] last night and everlastingly hustled the actresses around. One of them is a good singer. She sang "The Long, Long Weary Days" so feelingly that it made us all homesick. General quarters were called at three o'clock A.M. and we were dressed at our stations in no time at all. It was no attack, only Capt. [?] wished to show off. As we rounded the bend below Bluff we let fly our eight guns as a salute. This made the boats on post call to quarters and raise steam - thinking it was an attack. Cut wood.

Oct. 20th, 1863 Starboard watch cut wood. They cut a new path through the cane-brake. Whiskey went ashore with some officers, got in a fight with another, bigger dog and licked him. Cold last night.

Oct. 21st, 1863 Entire crew cut wood. Backed twenty cords about a mile. Hauled some with mules and cannon trucks. Hastings and Falcon had out wood parties.

Oct. 22nd, 1863 Hauled into shore and wooded up by means of our small boats. Started up the river. Stopped at Mother ______'s landing. Officers bought chickens, sailors traded off salt for sweet potatoes.

Oct. 23rd, 1863 Struck into Big Black and went up as far as we could. Had a skirmish on the way. Returning we were fired into three times before we reached Des Arc. Andrew Miles hit in the face by a bullet.

Oct. 24th, 1863 Went up again. Fired into at Cherokee landing - had a lively time and whipped rebs. Cock of No. 1 Port broke, so Cummings fired it repeatedly - using a hammer. No. 4 Port kicked out of breaking twice and was dismounted. No one hurt.

Oct. 25th, 1863 (Sunday) Started down last evening and got to the Bluffs this A.M.. Inspection and muster. Starboard watch on liberty.

Oct. 26th, 1863 On post duty. Nothing doing.

Oct. 27th, 1863 Forest Rose came up. We received five barrels hardtack, one of beef, one of pork, a gross cans mule meat and some desiccated vegetables. On full rations.

Oct. 28th, 1863 Moved in and anchored opposite the Bluff. Lexington came up. Conestoga left for the Tennessee. Tyler is also going. Randolp [sp] came up. Marmora got into a fight and was licked.

Oct. 29th, 1863 Hastings came up. She has been newly repainted and repaired all over.

Oct. 30th, 1863 Cut wood all day long. Part of the Hastings crew were ashore at the Bluff working on a new fort.

Oct. 31st, 1863 Put on half rations again. All except the cutter's crew went ashore after dinner and worked on the fort. We (cutter's crew) hauled wood from east bank to the boat. Ferried twenty loads. go back to top of Transcription

November 1st, 1863 (Sunday) Pickets of 114th Ill., coming off duty towards morning, fired off their guns and three balls hit Tawah - one going through port-hole. Two bullets lodged in Hastings' woodwork. Capt. Goudy taken pretty sick. Went ashore on liberty. First time in nearly six months. Went up to where rifle-pits are dug. Saw earth works being built by the tars.

Nov. 2nd, 1863 Received a letter from home. Entire crew cutting wood. Commenced hauling late in afternoon. Quit at 9 P.M..

Nov. 3rd, 1863 Piped up hammocks at 4 A.M.. Hauled wood until 7 o'clock. Laid into shore after breakfast. Bridged with small boats and planks. Port watch hauled - starboard watch wooded up. Finished at noon, then steamed slowly up the river.

Nov. 4th, 1863 Got to Des Arc at 10 P.M.. Took on about 8000 feet of lumber. Broke into a number of stores. I got a supply of envelopes and writing paper for my share. Started down this afternoon.

Nov. 5th, 1863 Got here this morning. Discharged our cargo of lumber. Been ashore all day chopping wood.

Nov. 6th, 1863 Piped up at 4 A.M.. Wooded until 8 A.M.. I was sent on Hastings for its mail. We started down. Passed Rocksoe, Crockett's Bluff, St. Charles and Clarendon. Are going it lickity-switch. Fired at from west bank this evening. Fired back.

Nov. 7th, 1863 Reached mouth of river about 10 A.M.. Struck a snag coming out. I was standing outside casemating on bow. Knocked me headlong into the water. Came near being sucked under by the wheel, but Jim Ryan pulled me out. Wooded and started up.

Nov. 8th, 1863 (Sunday) Inspection and muster. Got to Helena before daybreak. Mined for coal through eleven feet of clay. Bank caved in on us four times. Just finished at 9 P.M..

Nov. 9th, 1863 Started up this A.M.. Bully! Going where we can get something to eat. Three weeks of half rations is enough, especially when working hard all day.

Nov. 10th, 1863 Got to Memphis last night. Laid in to a coalbarge. Got some hardtack. Coaled . Purser's Steward Morlan left us here, a young New Yorker taking his place. Mr. Morlan has been ordered to another boat.

Nov. 11th, 1863 Received mail from an unknown (to me) boat. Passed U.S.S. New Era. Anderson tells me there is a Fremonter on her. C.E. Hillman gave us a mail in passing. I got two Telegraphs, a Tablet and a letter from Joe Batig.

Nov. 12th, 1863 Passed New Madrid this P.M.. Passed the Ohio Belle, Belle Memphis, Wild Waggoner, Naugatuck, and Echo.

Nov. 13th, 1863 Arrived here (Cairo) 11 P.M.. Coaled then steamed up to wharf boat and took on provisions. On full rations again. Got a letter from John Botefuhr and one from Alice Botefuhr. Got a volume of Gleason's Literary Companion, two extra copies of the same two Leslies and one Harper.

Nov. 14th, 1863 Tied to wharf-boat last night. Anchored out in stream today. Scraping and painting all day. Finished.

Nov. 15th, 1863 (Sunday) Muster and Inspection. Laid in remainder of provisions, some more ammunition, coaled then started up Ohio River. In our cruise up White River we destroyed 13 canoes, 16 rafts, 4 flatboats and two other conveyances.

Nov. 16th, 1863 Got to Paducah this A.M.. Received 13 new men from the Dolsen while at Cairo yesterday. Tyler here, been trying for nine days to get over the bar.

Nov. 17th, 1863 Started up Tennesse [sp]this A.M.. Met Conestoga near Birmingham. Delivered her mail and kept on. Passed Ft. Henry then Ft. Himon. U.S. troops again in Himon.

Nov. 18th, 1863 Passed Bridge & Bend last night, - Culp's Matthews' this A.M.. Carollville, then Clifton .Got to Saltillo - a small place - after dark. Wooded. Signals of distress. Found Hastings on a bar. Pulled her off. It was Hastings who beat us here by two days. Tied to Hastings and started up.

Nov. 19th, 1863 Reached Savannah at daybreak. Hastings cast loose and anchored. Guerrilas [sp] burned west side of town yesterday. A rebel deserter came onboard to enlist, but was rejected. Passed Pittsburg Landing.

November 20th, 1863 Passed Crumps and Hamburg. Sighted Eastport 6 A.M.. Anchored and delivered mail and dispatches at 8 A.M..

Nov. 21st, 1863 Wrote to Joe Batig. Sent one dollar home for stationery. Pickets on other side of the mountain firing because rebels tried to desert. About 10,000 men here.

Nov. 22nd, 1863 (Sunday) Hastings and Pawpaw brought up a convoy with 5000 soldiers. Two zouave regiments are here. Rebels fired at us from east side of river. Shelled them and killed two men off a transport chopping wood.

Nov. 23rd, 1863 There was a grand review this morning which looked nice from the boats. Pickets have been firing all day.

Nov. 24th, 1863 Pickets firing most all night. Called to quarters three times during the night. Once the artillery got at it and two or three shell exploded in our neighborhood. We threw twenty shell back over the hills.

Nov. 25th, 1863 Rebels leaving pretty fast. Slight picket firing last night. Long wagon train with 9000 soldiers left for Bridgeport. Four batterys [sp] left with them. A Tennessean named Martin Van Buren Siewel came on the boat and enlisted for two years.

Nov. 26th, 1863 A large number of troops left this A.M. and another body this P.M.. All for Chattanooga. Laid into coalbarge.

Nov. 27th, 1863 Rest of soldiers left this A.M., coaled Gun and other boats started down river. Peosta leading, Tawah bringing up rear, other G.B.'s interspersed through convoy.

Nov. 28th, 1863 Passed Savannah this A.M., Chalk Bluff at breakfast, Saltillo and Point Pleasant, arrived at Clifton while at supper. Three companies 17th Tennessee Cavalry (Union) are building a stockade here.

Nov. 29th, 1863 (Sunday) Kade Bridge at sunrise, Paducah about sunset. Found Key West anchored opposite fort. Gunboats anchored in line, transports left for Cairo.

Nov. 30th, 1863 John Martin got liberty and came on board drunk. Received a novel from J. H. E. Botefur. go back to top of Transcription

Dec. 1st, 1863 High wind all day. Awful time washing down decks. Stea