Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library and Museums
St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church
Scope and Content
The “Parish News” bulletins of the St. Alphonsus Liguori Catholic Church of Peru, Ohio were donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library and Museums in 2017.
Settlers of the Catholic faith first settled in Peru Township Huron County, Ohio in the fall of 1828. In 1829, ten additional families from Lorraine, France settled in Peru, then known as Veredenbourg. Sacraments were administered in settlers’ homes. In 1830, Bishop Fenwick directed Father J. M. Henni, resident pastor of St. John Church of Canton, Ohio, to minister to Peru settlers. Mr. J. Taylor, a Protestant farmer donated two acres to Bishop Fenwick for a church and school. The frame church was first used in 1831. Two years later, Father F. X. Tschenhenss was named the first resident pastor of Peru. A schoolhouse was soon built and attended by twenty-six pupils.
Through the decades, the number of members grew. A larger church was built and then renovated in 1890. A new rectory was built and two new schools were constructed.. Originally, Sisters of Notre Dame from Cleveland served as teachers. Later, lay teachers were employed. Among its pastors was Rev. Marcellus Lambiollotte, who oversaw St. Alphonsus from 1935 to 1953.
Scope and Content
During his years at St. Alphonsus, Rev Lambiollotte perused the church’s earlier records and abstracted baptisms, marriages, and other vital records. However, these records did not necessarily include the earliest records. He published the abstracts in the weekly “Parish News” bulletins from 1935 to 1952. These and other records from this oldest church in the Toledo, Ohio diocese appear in Family Search. They have also been microfilmed by the Center for Archival Collections at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio. They have been arranged chronologically by year.
1/3 linear ft.
“Parish News” Bulletins, 1935 to 1964.