Local History Collections

Collection ID: LH-275
Location: LH-275

(Description ID: 595312)

Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums

Hayes United Methodist Church


Agency History
Scope and Content

The collection contains miscellaneous records and related images donated by the church to the Hayes Presidential Center at an unknown date.

Agency History
The first Methodist Church of Fremont was organized in the fall of 1822 by Rev. James Montgomery, having held his first service in Lower Sandusky in 1819. A class of three members came into being in 1820, and by 1824, membership had risen to 97. Meetings were held in an old log school house built in 1817 on the present site of the junior high school (Croghan Street). Following the death of a cholera victim within the structure, townspeople were forced to destroy the building In 1834, the congregation erected a two-story frame building on the southwest corner of Arch and Garrison. The church served the congregation until 1850 when the Methodist Quarterly Conference authorized a committee to erect a more suitable meeting house. On June 18, 1851, at a cost of $2000, the congregation saw the completion and the dedication of a new brick edifice at the corner of Park and Birchard Avenues. Between the years 1850 and 1885, membership increased to 330 members. The increase forced members to consider the erection of a larger structure. Though never a formal member of the church, Rutherford B. Hayes pledged one dollar for every four raised for the purpose of a new building. In 1888, three years after completion of the new church, a fire nearly destroyed the structure. Again, Hayes contributed 25% of the funds needed for rebuilding. At this date, a parsonage was added to the church facility. In 1934, in memory of President Rutherford B. and Lucy Webb Hayes's contributions and leadership, the church officially changed its name to the Hayes Memorial Methodist Church. As membership increased, the congregation utilized the parsonage to expand its Sunday School classes. By 1963, membership included over one thousand parishioners, forcing the building committee to once again consider a larger structure. The church purchased eleven acres of land fronting on Fangboner Road and extending to Route 53. This new structure was consecrated in April of 1967, and in 1970, a parsonage was constructed nearby.

Scope and Content
The collection consists of a variety of records concerning membership, programs, church organizations, classes, and finances as well as histories, newsletters, and photographs covering the years from 1877 to 1980. Within the collection are a number of published and unpublished histories providing useful details about membership, ministers, classes, activities, teachers, and buildings.

Ac. 5373

Papers and Photographs, 1877-1980

1. Church directories and membership rolls
2. Published histories
3. Unpublished histories - Sunday School
4. Unpublished histories - Youth Fellowship
5. Honor rolls, WWI and WWII
6. Building of 1966 structure
7. Administrative Records
8. Financial Records
9. Special programs and services
10. Sunday School and Youth Programs
11. "Look Out" Class Minute Book, 1955-1968
12. Woman's Foreign Missionary Society
13. Woman's Home Missionary Society
14. Miscellaneous Publications
15. Miscellaneous
16. Newsletters - 1949-1950
17. Newsletters - 1951
18. Newsletters - 1952
19. Newsletters - 1953
20. Newsletters - 1954
21. Newsletters - 1955
22. Newsletters - 1956
23. Newsletters - 1957-1980, and unknown dates
24. Sunday Bulletins - 1928-1980 (scattered)
25. Photographs:
          W. W. Ross
          Methodist Church at the corner of Park and Birchard Avenues
          Contents of 1850 and 1853 cornerstone boxes
          Dr. George B. Smith's Methodist Episcopal Sunday School Class, September 12, 1915
          Lucy Webb Hayes Class, November 7, 1915