Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
Clyde, Ohio Fire Department Records
Scope and Content
Clyde local historian Thaddeus Hurd photocopied Clyde, Ohio's fire department records in an effort to preserve the organization's history and activities. Mr. Hurd donated the photocopies to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center.
The Clyde Fire Department was organized in response to the March 9th, 1873 fire that destroyed a major portion of Clyde's business district. On March 17, 1873, thirty-eight residents formed the McPherson Hook and Ladder Company No. 1. The following day, Clyde Engine Company No. 1 was created with fifty-seven charter members. The companies jointly chose Charles H. McCleary as the department's chief. The department held monthly meetings in the McPherson Guard Hall in the Harkness Building. In 1877, the Clyde Fire Department sent its first delegate to the Northwestern Ohio Volunteer Firemen's Association Convention. The following year, the organization purchased its first horse-drawn steam engine. Residents created eight cisterns within the village to be used for water storage. As technology increased, the Clyde Fire Department expanded its district to include all of Green Creek and portions of Riley and York townships.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of photocopies of the department's records, including its constitution, by-laws, minutes, attendance rosters, treasurers' reports, fire and water level reports, and some Northwest Ohio Volunteer Fireman's Association memorabilia. Although incomplete, the records provide an understanding of early firefighting activities and actions used by this rural Ohio village.
1/6 linear ft.
Constitution and By-Laws, 1873-1883
Attendance Register, 1873-1883
Constitution and By-Laws, 1892
Secretary's Record of Fires, 1874-1911
Water Level Records, 1874-1880
Cash Journal, 1937-1949
Attendance Register, 1946-1949
Miscellaneous Fund Account
Northwest Ohio Volunteer Fireman's Assn. Annual Convention, 1983 booklet and ribbons