Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
Chamber of Commerce of Sandusky County
[Ohio] Photograph Collection
Scope and Content
The collection was donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in 1982 by the Chamber of Commerce of Sandusky County. More information about the organization and its activities may be found in the Local History File in the library’s reading room.
Founded in 1946 to promote the economic interests of Sandusky County, Ohio, the Chamber of Commerce of Sandusky County was largely responsible for the development of Kessler Industrial Park; recreational facilities at White Star Park at Gibsonburg, Ohio; and better relations between agricultural and business interests. The organization, a private entity located at 101 South Front Street in Fremont, Ohio, and supported by the area’s business community, also established programs to recognize and develop the area’s civic and business leadership.
As the Sandusky County Economic Development Corporation ( formed in 1985) began to take over the organization’s economic improvement programs, the chamber focused on enhancing the skills and education of the area’s workforce, representing and lobbying for small businesses, and encouraging the employment of area youth. The Chamber of Commerce of Sandusky County is governed by a board of directors composed of local business leaders to whom committee chairs report. The organization publishes a series of guides highlighting county resources and activities. A monthly newsletter titled "The Voice of the Chamber" informs members of organizational views, events, and services. In recent years, the organization’s emphasis has been on community planning and development, tourism, and trade.
Scope and Content
The collection of 82 black and white photographic prints was part of the records of the Chamber of Commerce of Sandusky County and date from the early years of the twentieth century to 1982. The images were taken by several Fremont, Ohio, commercial photographers perhaps for the purpose of promoting the area’s economic and cultural features to prospective businesses owners and real estate developers. The collection’s focus is largely the city of Fremont, the county seat and largest city within the limits of Sandusky County. It includes approximately twenty aerial views depicting potential sites for industrial parks, the downtown business district, businesses and industries, the Sandusky River, residential areas, and highways. The collection also contains individual photographs of Fremont businesses, industries, parks, churches, public buildings, and municipal services. Those images taken early in the twentieth century were perhaps part of the records of the Fremont Chamber of Commerce, an organization with similar goals that existed before the Chamber of Commerce of Sandusky County.
Box 1 - Chamber of Commerce of Sandusky County Photographs
1. Aerial Views (21)
2. Banquet (unidentified), 1950 (1)
3. Business and Industry (11)
Herbrand (Stone Street)
Fremont Suspender Co.
Carter - Christy
Fremont Savings Bank
4. Churches (7)
Hayes Memorial Methodist
Grace Lutheran (3)
St. John’s Lutheran (2)
St. Paul’s Episcopal
5. Early Street Paving (2)
6. Filtration Plant and Water Tower (5)
7. Corner Stone Laying Ceremony (1)
Ground breaking ceremonies
Crown Rubber (1)
CATV 11-9-70 (1)
Fremont Container (1)
8. Miscellaneous Buildings
Moose Bldg. - Park Avenue & West State (1)
9. Governor James Rhodes photographed with a group of four unidentified men (duplicates) (x4)
10. Parks, Monuments, Sandusky River (3)
11. Public Buildings
Birchard Library (1)
Memorial Hospital (1)
Sandusky County Courthouse (3)
Ross High School (1)
St. Joseph Central Catholic High School (2)