Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Presidential Library & Museums
Ballville Presbyterian Chapel
Scope and Content
The record book for the Ballville Presbyterian Chapel was given to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center by David Miller in August 2008.
An extension of Fremont, Ohio’s East Side Presbyterian Church, the Ballville Presbyterian Chapel was chartered March 28, 1948. There were 12 charter members and seven associate members.
The Board of National Missions of the Presbyterian Church had “made it possible for a full time pastor to serve the regularly established East Side Presbyterian Church and also to share this ministry with the Ballville Presbyterian Chapel….” The shared ministry meant that baptisms, weddings, and funerals performed at the Chapel would be registered in the established Presbyterian Church.
A chapel was constructed in the 1800 block of Cemetery Street, Ballville in 1946. Services were held Sunday morning, and young people met Sunday evening. Prayer meetings were held Wednesday evening.
Scope and Content
The record book for the Ballville Presbyterian Chapel begins with a record of offerings beginning October 7, 1945. The book contains minutes of weekly services, providing summaries of services (readers, scriptures, hymns, attendance, offering, and presiding clergy) financial reports, attendance records, from October 1945 through April 1959.
Also included are the mission statement of the Ballville Presbyterian Chapel and the history of the Chapel’s association with the East Side Presbyterian Church in Fremont, Ohio. The 12 charter members and seven original associate members are listed. Records of congregational meetings and year-end financial reports also appear. The record also includes 32 baptisms (some with birth information) performed by Reverend George O. Walter from 1947 through 1958. The final entry is a summary of the service held April 26, 1959.
One 8 ¾ inch by 13 ½ inch ledger book of 300 pages, containing several loose miscellaneous notes and notices.