Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums Political Cartoon Contest
The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library and Museums invites students to illustrate their own political cartoons for our upcoming exhibit, Press & the Presidency! A political cartoon is a type of editorial cartoon that artists use to express their opinions about politics, publics figures, or events. The illustrations are often caricatures, and feature hyperbole and satire to draw attention to issues faced by the world today. Students are invited to voice their opinions through their own political cartoon illustrations.
- The contest features two categories based on age group – a middle school category for grades 6-8, and a high school category for grades 9-12.
- The contest is open to all students in the appropriate categories in the state of Ohio.
- Students and teachers will be notified via e-mail if the cartoon has placed.
- Submission confirms the knowledge that the cartoons will be made available for public viewing, publicity by the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums, and other purposes. We are sorry, but cartoons will not be returned.
Submissions can be submitted by email to [email protected] or by mail to:
Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
Re: POLITICAL CARTOON CONTEST
Fremont, OH 43420
- Entries MUST be submitted, by Sunday, April 5th 2020.
- Three winners will be picked from each category by a panel of four judges.
- All artwork must be verified by a teacher that it is the student’s original work. Teachers must sign the back of the artwork for each submission.
- Cartoons can be drawn by hand and scanned, or created digitally, but must be an original illustration.
- Each submission must include the information listed below.
- Student’s name
- Student’s grade
- Student’s e-mail
- Name of school
- School address
- Name of teacher
- Teacher e-mail
- Winners will have their art featured in the exhibit, The Press & The Presidency for the duration of the exhibit (May 1, 2020 – February 28th, 2021) and feature the student’s name and school.
- Students will receive 2 free admission vouchers to visit the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums.
- Winners will receive a store gift card (3rd place: $10, 2nd place: $20, 1st place: $30) – gift cards will be mailed to the school.
- Students and their parents will be invited to the Member’s Only opening of the exhibit on Thursday, April 30th, 2020 at the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums in Fremont, OH.