"Uncaged:" Monthly featured artifact
From an Olympic medal to the pencil Ulysses Grant used to write the draft of the Civil War surrender terms, unusual and interesting artifacts are coming out of storage to be featured in the Hayes Museum.
“Uncaged” features a different artifact each month in a display case in the lower level of the museum. These artifacts are taken from the Hayes Presidential Library & Museums’ collection storage area, which staff have nicknamed “the cage.”
The title sponsor for Uncaged is Albrechta & Coble Ltd., Attorneys at Law.
The artifact schedule:
- November 2018 – Civil War drum and Spanish-American War fife: The drum was believed to have been used during the Civil War era. The fife was one of three used on a transport on an 1899 voyage from San Francisco to Manilla.
- December 2018 –East Asian Swords and Spears: This is an assorted collection of imposing weaponry acquired by Col. Webb C. Hayes while traveling throughout East Asia
- January 2019 – Chinese Fish Bell: This bell was captured in the Relief (or battle) of Peking during the Boxer Rebellion.
- February 2019 - Presidents' Day assorted presidential items, sponsored by Unique Fabrications
- March 2019 - Historic cameras
- April 2019 - Political cartoon(s)
- May 2019 - Memorial Day – Civil War artifacts
- June 2019 - President William McKinley items, sponsored by Unique Fabrications
The Hayes Presidential Library & Museums is America’s first presidential library and the forerunner for the federal presidential library system. It is partially funded by the state of Ohio and affiliated with the Ohio History Connection. The Hayes Presidential Library & Museums is located at Spiegel Grove at the corner of Hayes and Buckland avenues.
For information, call 419-332-2081, or visit rbhayes.org. Like HPLM on Facebook at fb.me/rbhayespres and follow on Twitter at @rbhayespres and Instagram at rbhayespres.