Presidential History Book Club
FREMONT – History enthusiasts can read and discuss books about the American presidency with a book club based at the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums.
The Presidential History Book Club meets at noon once a month in the museum/library building. Participation is free. Members can bring their lunch to the meetings.
Members can get each month’s book from a local library or buy a copy. Copies of the books will be on sale in the Museum Store at Hayes Presidential Library & Museums.
Curator Dustin McLochlin prepares talking points to generate a discussion among members at meetings. The format of the Presidential History Book Club is informal, and everyone is encouraged to be involved. The book club is sponsored by Keller-Koch-Chudzinski Funeral Home.
The club has the following meetings and topics scheduled:
- April 25, 2018 - "The Triumph of McKinley: Why the Election of 1896 Still Matters"
- May 30, 2018 - "The Bully Pulpit" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Dennis Sulewski of the William Howard Taft National Historic Site in Cincinnati will join the group for discussion via Skype.
- June 27, 2018 - "The Bully Pulpit" by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- July 25, 2018 - "The Bully Pulpit" by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Aug. 29, 2018 - "Grant" by Ron Chernow
- Sept. 26, 2018 - "Grant" by Ron Chernow
- Oct. 24, 2018 - "Grant" by Ron Chernow
- Nov. 28, 2018 - "Wilson" by A. Scott Berg
- Dec. 19, 2018 - "Wilson" by A. Scott Berg
- Jan. 30, 2019 - "Wilson" by A. Scott Berg
- Feb. 27, 2019 - "Warren G. Harding" by John W. Dean
- March 27, 2019 - "Coolidge" by Amity Shlaes
- April 24, 2019 - "Coolidge" by Amity Shlaes
- May 29, 2019 - "A Secret Life: The Lies and Scandals of President Grover Cleveland"
- June 26, 2019 - "Only Yesterday: An Informal History of the 1920s" By Frederick Lewis Allen
For information on the book club, contact McLochlin at 419-332-2081 or [email protected]