Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
Dr. Clyde L. Smith
Scope and Content
The ledgers were donated by Kenneth L. Smith to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in 2006.
Clyde L. Smith was born on August 31, 1878 in Leipsic, Ohio, to W. W. and Viola A. Smith. His father was editor of the Leipsic Free Press, and he received newspaper training under his father. He later served as clerk and assistant postmaster of Leipsic and then entered into railway mail service. After leaving that position, Clyde entered the University of Illinois School of Medicine, graduating in 1904. After graduating, he practiced in Lindsey, Ohio, for two years, and then moved to Fremont in 1906, where he lived and worked until his death.
Besides keeping his daily office, Dr. Smith was also surgeon for the National Carbon Company since 1906, was on the staff at Fremont, Ohio’s Memorial Hospital, and was medical examiner for several life insurance companies. He was a former president of the Sandusky County Medical Society and member of the Ohio State Medical Society, Northwestern Ohio Medical Society, and the American Medical Association.
An active Mason, Smith was initiated in September of 1899 and became a Master Mason of the Leipsic lodge that same year. He became affiliated with the Brainard Lodge, #336, in Fremont on January 22, 1909 and was worshipful master in 1914. Smith was extremely active in local Masonic organizations, and some of his held positions include: chairman of the general committee for laying the cornerstone for the Masonic Temple in Fremont, president of the Masonic Temple Association from 1929 to 1932, a member of the Masonic Veterans’ Association, a member of the orders of Red Cross, Knight of Malta, and Knights Templar. He was elected grand commander of the Ohio Commandery Knights Templar in 1934. He was also a past patron of the Fremont chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, a sovereign prince of Northern Light Council, Princes of Jerusalem, and a member of Zenobia Shrine in Toledo, Ohio.
Smith married Melvia E. Tustison of Dunkirk, Ohio. She died in 1939. They had two daughters, Helen E. Smith and Edna V. M. Smith, both of whom lived at home. C. L. Smith died on February 28, 1945 at the age of 66. He had been in failing health for about a year and a half prior to his death, although he still worked every day in his office. On the morning of the 28th, Smith died in his home, 1228 W. State St. in Fremont, of coronary thrombosis while getting ready to leave for his office. He was buried in Oakwood Cemetery.
Scope and Content
These two ledgers, dating from 1906 and 1921, are the personal finance records of Dr. C. L. Smith. They give a day-to-day account of his expenses (for example, “shave, .10; sausage and pretzels, .20”) and incoming funds (patients examined). Sometimes he simply gives the name of the patient and how much he charged, and at other times he also writes a little note on the patient’s illness (“kidney stones” or “thyroid”). He also notes the name of the insurance company if the patient is being examined for a life insurance policy.
1. Ledger, January 1, 1906-December 31, 1906
2. Ledger, January 1, 1921-December 31, 1921