Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
Ohio Child Conservation League, High Hopes League
Scope and Content
The records of the High Hopes chapter of the Ohio Child Conservation League were donated to the Hayes Presidential Center in 2001 by the organization.
The national organization of the Child Conservation League was formed in 1918. Ohio formed its first chapters in 1920. Believing that the nation’s "children are its most valuable assets and its least conserved," the non-profit Child Conservation League promotes worthy and effective relationships between parents and children in the home and the community. It attempts to provide an avenue for systematized efforts pertaining to childhood and its needs through education, philanthropy, and legislation. The Ohio organization includes 7500 members who are active in five hundred leagues in twelve districts. Delegates representing their league attend a district conference each spring. Each league holds monthly meetings at members’ homes from September through May. Four topics, revolving around the moral, physical, spiritual, and mental development of the child, are selected annually for research and discussion. Each league conducts fund raising events to support the Ohio Scholarship Loan Fund. $65,000 was loaned to university students by the organization during 1998.
Locally, the High Hopes league formed in the spring of 1965 with thirteen members. The organization’s first president was Mrs. James Duncan. Although membership varied over time, the annual average remained between ten and fifteen members. The High Hopes league made and sold candy, held bake sales and dinner dances, saved pennies, and made quilts to raise funds for the state scholarship fund, Betty Jane Center, School of Hope, School Shoe Fund, Easter Seals, the Ronald McDonald House, the Memorial Hospital of Sandusky County, the Trauma Society, Fremont School Band, Boys at Kindred Homes, needy children with health problems, individual children in foster care, and many other child-oriented projects. The organization also began providing volunteer services for scoliosis monitoring among fifth, sixth, and seventh graders in the Fremont school district in 1978
Scope and Content
The collection includes a complete record of the organization’s monthly meeting minutes, financial records, and membership rosters from its founding in 1965 to 1983. News clippings about and photographs of members, monthly meetings, and fund raising projects provide an excellent record of the organization’s members and its activities. The record is enhanced further by a two-page, ten-year retrospective of the league, written by charter member Mrs. Larry Longanbach Although the league appears to have been active until the spring of 1985, its existence is documented only by news clippings and photographs in the scrapbook. A published constitution also appears.
1/4 linear ft.
1. Meeting minutes, Treasurer’s reports, and Membership rosters: 1965-1971
2. Meeting minutes, Treasurer’s reports, and Membership rosters: 1972-1983
3. Constitution and Ten-year retrospective
4. Miscellaneous Correspondence
5. Ohio school funding correspondence, 1970
6. Ohio Child Conservation League pamphlets, Northern District Conference data, and misc.
7. Scrapbook: 1965-1975, news clippings, photographs, notes of appreciation, certificates
8. Scrapbook: 1975-1985, news clippings, photographs, notes of appreciation, certificates