Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
David B. Love Papers
LH - 127
Scope and Content
David B. Love, son of George and Barbara Barclay Love, was born January 15, 1859 in Harrison County, Ohio. He attended Franklin College in New Athens, Ohio for two years, teaching school between terms in order to pay for his education. In preparation for a career in education he enrolled in the Ohio Normal University at Ada, Ohio, graduating in 1885 with a Master of Arts degree. Although he intended to study law after graduation, he was offered the position of Superintendent of the public schools in Oak Harbor, Ohio. He filled this position for two years reorganizing the schools and then moved to Fremont, Ohio to begin his legal studies in the office of Finefrock & Dudrow.
David Love was admitted to the bar in December 1890 and opened an office, practicing alone until October 1892 when he joined Horace Buckland and formed the firm Buckland & Love. This practice dissolved when Buckland became a judge. Love later joined A. E. Culbert in the firm Culbert & Love.
David Love was a member of the Masons and the Knights of Pythias. He served on the Fremont Board of Education and was active in the local Republican Party including two years a s Chairman of the Sandusky County Republican Executive Committee. He was a member of the First Presbyterian church in Fremont, teaching a Sunday school class for college-aged students.
David Love married Josephine Wood, daughter of Asa and Eliza Wood, in Mt. Gilead, Ohio in 1888. They were the parents of four children: D. Ewing, Esther Josephine, Anna Maree, and C. Wendell. David Love died at his home in Fremont September 1, 1930
Scope and Content
This collection contains two ledgers for the legal practice of David Love and records of a few cases in which he was involved. The largest amount of information pertains to the case Henrie Clauss vs. International Cutlery Company. In this lawsuit Henrie Clauss and the H. Clauss Cutlery Company of Tipton, Indiana contest the use of trade-marks and trade-names. Henrie Clauss also claimed he had not been paid royalties for the use of machinery, on which he held patents, instrumental in the manufacture of straight razors. The case details the transition of several firms in the cutlery industry in Fremont, Ohio including The Clauss Shear Company, The H. Clauss Manufacturing Company, The H. Clauss Cutlery Company, and the International Cutlery Company of Maine.
Folder 1 Ledger 1919
2 Ledger 1927
3 Fremont Designing, Patent and Realty Company Record Book 1921
4 Fremont Lumber Company Case #58362, 1908
5 Professional Standing, Benjamin F. James Case #2488, 1915
6 Huffman Traction Engine Co. Case #2996, 1917
7 Henrie Clauus vs. International Cutlery Co. Case #15259, 1925
8 Henrie Clauss vs. International Cutlery Co. Case #15259 Miscellaneous Papers 1925
9 Henrie Clauss vs. International Cutlery Co. Transferred to Federal Court, 1925
10 State Budget Bill, H.B. 502, 1927