Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
Frank Emerson Post No. 45, Auxiliary of United Spanish War Veterans
Scope and Content
The records of the Frank Emerson Post No. 45 were donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in 2008.
The Frank Emerson Auxiliary Post #45 of the United Spanish War Veterans was organized in Fremont, Ohio, in May 1924 at the Fremont, Ohio American Legion Hall with assistance from Margarette A. Beiler, Department President; Jean Spangler, District No. 2 President; post officers from Findlay, Fostoria, Toledo, and Tiffin, Ohio. The post was named in honor of the late Frank Emerson of Company K, 6th Ohio Infantry, a native of Fremont, Ohio. Emerson died in March 1899 at Santa Clara, Cuba, while serving in the Spanish-American War. The charter was issued August 4th, 1924 by Florence M. Clark, President General. There were 37 charter members. By 1927, the auxiliary had grown to 73 members.
As a chapter of the national and state organizations, the auxiliary was to extend aid to veterans of the Spanish-American War, particularly to the Frank Emerson Camp No. 53; assist in programs set forth by the national organization; and promote patriotism. The auxiliary was open to all female blood relatives of Spanish-American War veterans.
Thirteen of the charter members, all residents of Fremont, Ohio, elected Flora Porter as the organization’s first president; Lottie Nickel, senior vice president, Estelle Rearick, junior vice president; Edith Wensinger, chaplain; Carrie Myers, patriotic instructor; Mary Binkley, conductor; Maud Emerson, assistant conductor; and Blanch Beck, guard.
The chapter decorated veterans’ graves; assisted the local veterans’ organization,; performed charitable work at the Sandusky Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home in Sandusky, Ohio; and funded national, state, and local patriotic endeavors. Additionally, the auxiliary contributed financially to the Xenia (Ohio) Children’s Home and the Madison Home.
Scope and Content
The records consist of two ledgers containing the chapter’s minutes and membership rosters. The minutes are complete from the auxiliary’s formation through 1929. However, a gap exists between 1929 and 1941 when the records, once again, are consecutive through January 1951. The records also contain names of committee heads and names of some deceased members.
Minutes and Membership Rosters: 1924 – 1929
Minutes and Membership Rosters: 1941 - 1951