information center:  
 
Return to homepage
 

Features

Floor Plan: Upper Level
Floor Plan: Lower Level

 

 

 
About the Museum

The exterior of the Hayes Museum showing the original main entrance to the structure.

The museum of the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center was started by the President's second son, Colonel Webb Cook Hayes and his siblings, shortly after the turn of the 20th century. In several transactions, Colonel Hayes and his siblings deeded over to the state of Ohio, Spiegel Grove, the President's estate and all its holdings. Ground was broken in 1912 for the building, and the first presidential library/museum in the U.S. opened on May 30, 1916. Construction was funded by the State of Ohio and Webb C. Hayes. Ground breaking for the Hayes Museum/Library in 1912.

Major additions in 1922 and 1968 brought the building to its present configuration of exhibit galleries (two floors), research library (one floor), and storage areas (four floors) comprising 52,640 square feet. In keeping with our mission, the museum uses its resources, including 19,000 artifacts, 1,785 of them on permanent display, to illustrate the life and times of Rutherford B. Hayes, his family, and Ohio history.

The Hayes Museum as it looked at the time of its opening in 1916.As President, Hayes contended with the aftermath of Reconstruction in the South, the problems of our Black citizens, and the plight of the American Indian. He fought against inflation, vetoed the controversial Chinese Immigration Exclusion Act, and promoted Civil Service reform. Before his election, President Hayes espoused a single six-year term for presidents and true to his word he retired after four years.

Hayes believed strongly that an ex-president should continue to serve his town, state, and country. As an ex-president, the Squire of Spiegel Grove remained active in local affairs, and on the national level traveled extensively to participate in veterans' affairs and promote prison reform, and advocated both vocational and scholastic education for black and white, rich and poor, North and South.

On a regular basis, the museum staff creates temporary exhibits on the Hayes family, the Hayes Administration, Ohio history, the Gilded Age, the Civil War, and personalities of the 19th Century. The Center also rents or borrows temporary exhibits that are appropriate to its mission.

OBJECT COLLECTIONS
The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center houses more than 19,000 three-dimensional objects and more than 30,000 images of these objects. The items in the searchable database belonged to President Rutherford B. Hayes, Lucy Webb Hayes, their family, and donors located throughout the United States. Civil War weapons, Spanish American uniforms, Hayes administration state china, and 19th century toys are just a few of the object catalog records available.

Museum Contact: Collections Manager Mary Lou Rendon, Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center, Spiegel Grove, Fremont, Ohio 43420. 1/800-998-7737, ext. 228. Email mlrendon@rbhayes.org.

NOTE: The photographs on this site are for identification purposes only. If you would like to purchase a high quality image(s) please contact:
Head of Photographic Resources Gilbert Gonzalez at 419-332-2081, ext. 222 or ggonzalez@rbhayes.org.



© 2005 The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
Spiegel Grove, Fremont, OH 43420-2796
phone 419.332.2081 | fax 419.332.4952
admin@rbhayes.org

Web design and hosting by WGTE Public Broadcasting

56366