Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
Scope and Content
The Stevenson Family Collection was donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in 2002 by Mrs. Norman Sinclair. Additional materials were given in 2006.
Dr. Matthew Stevenson, second son of James Stevenson, Jr.,
was born in Frederick County, Maryland, in 1777. He married Jane Gilson, daughter of Thomas
and Nancy (Boyd) Gilson in
Walter Edward Stevenson, who was born in 1848 in
Scope and Content
The Stevenson Family Collection is comprised primarily of identified family photographs, documents, and artifacts. The bulk of the material, dating from the Civil War to 1932, focuses on the Walter E. and Mary Louise (Hocke) Miller Stevenson family. Also included in the material are images of and documents associated with Mary Louise=s children by her first husband, August Miller, and his family. Many of the photographs of earlier generations of Stevensons and collateral relatives were identified by the donor, Mrs. Norman Sinclair, a daughter of (Mrs. Haven) Hortense Stevenson Sturdevant. Others were identified by older Stevenson and Miller family members.
The photographs and documents are filed in family groups
that preserve the arrangement and description created by the donor. Artifacts and an album of identified images,
primarily carte de visites, are housed in
Ac. 5567, 5705
2 linear ft.
1. Dr. James David Gilson Stevenson-Photos (1)
2. Walter E. Stevenson - Photos (14)
3. Walter E. & Mary Hock Miller Stevenson Home -
4. Walter E. Stevenson - Photo Album - (15)
5. Clara Louise Stevenson - Sister of Walter E. Stevenson - Photo (1)
6. John M. & Margaret Elizabeth Stevenson Family - Photo (1)
7. James A. Stevenson Family - Photo (1)
8. Will S. & Marie A. Stevenson Family - Photos (4)
9. Walter J. Stevenson - son of Walter E. & Mary Hock Miller Stevenson - Photos (4)
10. Haven & Hortense (Stevenson) Sturdevant Family - Photos (12)
11. Frank & Ethel Stevenson Bishop Family - Photos (12)
12. Mary Elizabeth Stevenson (Mother of Walter E.)- Photo (1)
13. Bat & Harriet Stevenson Boyer Family - Photos (5)
14. Dan & Marie Stevenson Dumbick Family - Photos (7)
15. Fred Miller - Photos (3)
16. Jessie & Mary Miller - d/o August & Mary Louise Hock Miller [Stevenson] - Photos (5)
17. Arthur & Phoebe Stevenson Family - Photos (8)
18. Arthur E. Stevenson Family - Photos (6)
19. Hock Family - Photos (11)
20. Louis Hocke (Uncle of Mary Hock Miller Stevenson) - Photo (1)
21. Mr. & Mrs. Fred Mueller Family - Photos (6)
22. Perry G. & Mary Miller Jones Family - Photos (10)
23. Mr. & Mrs. Ortive Haff - Photo (1)
24. Stereopticon Views - Miscellaneous (9)
Haven & Hortense (Stevenson) Sturdevant, 13 May 1962
Unidentified man, ca. 1950
Unidentified woman, ca. 1950 (2 photographs)
Frank & Ethel (Stevenson) Bishop, 1947
Fred Miller, 1945
Frank Bishop, Bat Boyer, Haven Sturdevant, & Dan Dumbick, 1923
Mary L. Stevenson, ca. 1918
Gus & Mayme, 25 September, n.y.
Fred & Mayme, n.d.
Walter James Stevenson, n.d.
Mary L. Stevenson, n.d.
Bat Boyer, n.d.
Hortense Sturdevant, Marion Sturdevant, & Harriett Boyer, n.d.
Hortense & Harriett Stevenson, n.d.
Walter Stevenson, n.d.
Hortense (Stevenson) Sturdevant, n.d.
Marie Lois Stevenson, n.d.
Harriett and Hortense Stevenson, n.d.
Hortense, Mary L., & Harriett Stevenson, n.d.
Harriett and Hortense Stevenson, n.d.
Cased images and tintypes (8)
Walter Edward Stevenson, aged 12
Jane Buchanan Stevenson
Walter E. Stevenson (daguerreotype), Jake Hocke (tintype)
Walter E. Stevenson (brooch with image), 1920
Engraved plate for business cards
for Fred Miller,
1. Insurance Policies, Business Documents of Mary Miller c. 1871-1887
2. Apprenticeship Document - Children of August and Mary Hocke Miller - 1884
3. George H. Steward Receivership Papers - 1886
4. Walter E. Stevenson Guest Book Pages - 1878
5. Field Notes and Deeds,
6. Walter E. Stevenson Correspondence - 1921
7. Hortense E. Stevenson Sturdevant Correspondence - 1920-1931
8. Masonic Membership of Fred Miller,
9. Obituary of Mabel Frances Beebe - 1899
10. Diary: January -June, 1864
11. Recipes, Pamphlets, Memorabilia
12. Greeting Cards - c. 1867-1932
Stevenson family seal
Birth announcement for William Daniel McDonough, 10 April 1929
Forwarding address for Beverley Bishop & James Robbins
Funeral card for Hollis W. Bishop, 08/17/1915-04/04/1976
Funeral card for Frank Bishop, 10/12/1886-01/30/1967
Death record for Ethel E. Bishop, 26 June 1959
Drawn map of Bishop cemetery plot
Printed map of Bishop cemetery plot
Printed map of
Genealogy record for Carl & Elinor Magsamen
Death certificate for Fred W. Miller, 05 May 1961
Funeral card for Marie L. Dumbick, 05/21/1892-06/05/1974
Funeral card for Daniel Dumbick, died 12/03/1965
Funeral card for Hortense Sturdevant, died 11/20/1983
Funeral card for Haven H. Sturdevant, died 07/20/1978
Genealogy record for Alfred Arens & Beverley Bishop
Genealogy record for Richard Bishop & Janet Sudak
Genealogy record for Stanley Stevenson & Madeline Pullen
Genealogy record for Sydney
Stevenson family genealogy. 3 pgs. Typed (2 copies).
Stevenson family genealogy. From Hortense Sturdevant, dtd 02 February 1982. Handwritten with photocopy.
Stevenson family births & deaths
Hocke family genealogy. Handwritten with photocopy.
Cemetery payment sheets for plots of Walter & Mary Louise Stevenson
AUCION, ROBERTA L.
To Marian, dtd 26 February 1982.
To Marion & Norman Sinclair, dtd 13 September 1980.
To Hortense Sturdevant, dtd 04 November 1983. 2 copies.
To Hortense, dtd 26 September 1980.
PECK, MARIAN & SAM
Captain Samuel De Zoscieur Stevenson
Mary Elizabeth Stevenson
Elizabeth Jane Stevenson, Aunt Libby, b. 1852
Eva M. Hurd,
Fannie A. Hurd, 16 yrs., 1874
Mary Louise Stevenson, Mother of Hortense and Harriet, 1854-1918
Walter E. Stevenson, husband of
Mary; Father of Hortense and Harriet,
Nellie to Walter, 1877,
Mary Louise Stevenson (Hoch), 1854-1918
E. P. Jones girls,
Geo. Jones, E. P.’s Son, 7yrs., 1874
Cousin Susie Covey,
Wm. F. Covey
[Studio address] Wm. Knight,
Charles W. Stevenson, July 1880
Cousin Sophia M. Benit, 18 years, married to Charles Chamberlin, 1872
Mrs. James W. Stevenson
Charles Walter Stevenson, July 1880
Dr. James W. Stevenson
May 19, 1876,
Sophia Barber, May 19, 1876,
Wooden cane handle (with hound’s head); inscribed “From James S. Skedden to Col. Sam Sizer Decr 1870”
Christening dress of Walter E. Stevenson
Oversize Documents - Transferred to the Oversize Area
Hortense Stevenson Clyde, Ohio, grade school diploma, 1908
Hortense Stevenson Clyde, Ohio, High School diploma, 1912
Books - Transferred to the General Collection
Household Discoveries, An Encyclopedia of practical Recipes and Processes.
Dr. Chase’s Third Last and Complete Receipt Book and Household Physician