Rutherford B. Hayes PresidentialCenter
Auxiliary of United Spanish War Veterans
McMaken Post No. 60
Scope and Content
The records of the McMaken Post No. 60 were originally part of the Thaddeus B. Hurd Collection donated to the Hayes Presidential Center in 1989.
The auxiliary to the McMaken Encampment No. 60 of the United Spanish War Veterans was organized in Clyde, Ohio, in November of 1927 with the assistance of the Emerson Auxiliary of Fremont, Ohio, and the Cleveland and Garetson Auxiliaries. As a chapter of the national and state organizations, the auxiliary’s purpose was to extend aid to veterans of the Spanish-American War, assist in programs set forth by the national organization, and promote patriotism. The auxiliary was open to all female, blood relatives of Spanish-American War veterans. Eighteen charter members, all residents of Clyde, Ohio, elected Julia Meek as their first president.
The chapter decorated veterans’ graves, assisted the local veterans’ organization, performed charitable work at the Sandusky Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home in Sandusky, Ohio, and funded national, state, and local patriotic endeavors. Additionally, the auxiliary contributed financially to the to the Xenia Children’s Home and the Madison Home.
The records consists of the organization’s original charter, and four ledgers containing the chapter’s constitution, minutes, and membership rosters. The minutes are complete from the auxiliary’s formation to 1963.
1/3 linear ft.
Membership roll book: 1928-1960
Original charter: 1927. (Transferred to the Oversize Collection)
go to top of page