Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

 

Sandusky County, Ohio Jail

 

LH-290


Introduction

Agency History

Scope and Content

Inventory

Introduction

Mrs. Calvin Bristley donated The Sandusky County, Ohio Jail Collection to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center after successfully submitting an application for the structure's nomination to the Register of National Historic Places.

Agency History

The Sandusky County, Ohio Jail was erected in 1890 and 1891 at the corner of Croghan and Clover Streets in Fremont, Ohio at a cost of $40,000. The three-story gray, sandstone structure, designed by well-known architect J. C. Johnson, combined features of Queen Anne and Romanesque styling. Impressive woodwork and pressed wood detailing adorn both the jail and the sheriff's residence. Sandusky County commissioners, George F. Wilt, J. E. Wickert, and Joseph Gschwind joined Probate Judge E. F. Dickinson, Clerk of Courts, J. W. Worst, and Sheriff Lorenzo Dick in overseeing the construction of the sheriff's residence (50' X 50') and the jail proper (48' X 40'). The first and second floors of the rectangular section of the structure featured eight individual cells for housing male prisoners. Six cells for females prisoners were located on the third floor. The design allowed for the separation of "hardened" criminals from those who committed less serious offenses. A cornerstone- laying ceremony occurred on November 6, 1890. Ex-President Rutherford B. Hayes delivered the address. As president of the National Prison Reform Association, his interests focused on the structure's design features that promoted more humane treatment of prisoners. The edifice continued in service for over one hundred years when, in 1987, stricter state codes forced its closure.

Scope and Content

The Sandusky County, Ohio Jail Collection consists primarily of material compiled by Mrs. Calvin (Pat) Bristley during her effort to save the structure from demolition in 1996. Correspondence, an alternative-use study, news clippings, photographs, and documentation of the structure's history are combined with the application forms for nomination to the Register of National Historic Places.

Inventory

Ac. 5448

1/4 linear ft.

 

1. 1991 Alternative Use Study
2. 1995 Advisory Committee
3. Biographical Sketches
4. Photographs of structure
5. History
6. News clippings, 1890-1996
7. National Register of Historic Places Registration Forms
8. Miscellaneous notes

go to top of page

Return to Rutherford B. Hayes Home Page

[Hayes Home | Museum | Library | Dillon House | Manuscripts | Biography]
[Membership | Store | Events Calendar | Staff | News Releases | Summary Background]
[R.B. Hayes Diary and Letters | Reception Desk: Hours, Map, Admission]