Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

 

Sandusky County Federation
of Farm Women's Club

 

LH-288


Introduction

Agency History

Scope and Content

Inventory

Introduction

The records of the organization were acquired by the Center from Dorothy Darr in 1998. For information on individual chapters, see: LH-272 Batesole records and LH-286 Friendship Circle records.

Agency History

The Sandusky County Federation of Farm Women's Club formed in January 1925 as the eighth such organization to "federate" in the state of Ohio. Initially, the organization encompassed chapters in the counties of Sandusky and Seneca. Its purpose was to "create relationships among rural women in order to promote, through common interest, the general welfare of the state, and especially the betterment of conditions in rural homes and communities and to afford facilities for helpful interchange of ideas and club methods." Any woman within the two-county area could qualify as a chapter member. Its first president was Mrs. Marshall Bixler. By 1935, fourteen chapters organized: Green Creek, Ballville, Busy Bee, Bide-a-Wee, Green Springs Circle, Friendship Circle, Pottersville, North Ridge Progressive. Riverbye, Wolf Creek Circle, Unity, Riley Reapers, and Batesole. Later, Welcome and Townsend Sunshine formed. The membership originally devoted itself to missionary work. Within a short time, health and safety issues, education, and environmental concerns dominated the agenda. The chapters also saw fit to support higher education loans and scholarships for young people interested in home economics and agriculture. Meeting at an annual "union convention," Seneca and Sandusky County directors oversaw the activities of the local chapters. The directors also met with chapter legislative chairpersons at quarterly meetings

Scope and Content

The collection includes the organization's by-laws and constitution, annual programs, the annual minutes of the Sandusky County Federation of Farm Women's Club, and the minutes of the quarterly meetings of the directors and legislative chairpersons from 1925 to 1982.

Inventory

Ac. 5442

Papers, 1925-1982

 

1. Minutes of Annual Meetings (Seneca and Sandusky Counties): 1925-1934, 1935-1952, 1953-1982 (Includes, by-laws and constitution, program booklets, and news clippings).

2. Quarterly Minutes of Meetings of Directors and Legislative Chairpersons of Seneca and Sandusky Counties: 1930-1934, 1935-1939, 1953-1970.

3. Miscellaneous Programs

go to top of page

Return to Rutherford B. Hayes Home Page

[Hayes Home | Museum | Library | Dillon House | Manuscripts | Biography]
[Membership | Store | Events Calendar | Staff | News Releases | Summary Background]
[R.B. Hayes Diary and Letters | Reception Desk: Hours, Map, Admission]