Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

 

 Henkel-Clauss Title Abstract

 

 LH-MISC MSS


Introduction

Agency History

Scope and Content

Inventory

Introduction

Information on the Henkel-Clauss Company may be found in the Center's Local History File, the Carroll Family Collection (LH-279), and the Fremont Collection.

Agency History

Founded in 1877 in Elyria, Ohio, Clauss Cutlery was moved ten years later to Fremont, Ohio by its owners. A cheap and abundant supply of gas prompted the choice of Fremont as a site for the cutlery company. Three years later, the entire factory was consumed by fire, causing the unemployment of 125 workers. Within four months, a new buildng was erected at State and Sandusky Streets. Harry L. Zimmerman and Paul Schaaf, along with three other partners, established their own cutlery company, Henkel, in 1906. In 1919, Henkel and Clauss merged to form Henkel-Clauss, the largest shear works in the nation.

Scope and Content

The 154-page document represents the abstract of the land title for Fremont, Ohio inlots 51 and 52, located on State and Sandusky Streets. Beginning with the original plat of 1807, attorney Chester Culbert of Culbert and Culbert prepared the deed abstract, running through the year 1943. The document presents some of the history of the Clauss Cutlery, including its merger with another local cutlery firm, Henkel Company, forming Henkel-Clauss.The abstract not only documents the sales and mergers of the cutlery companies located at the site, but also the suits and liens filed against the property.

Inventory

Ac. 5482

One item: Title abstract, dated 1807 to 1943, prepared by Fremont, Ohio attorneys Culbert and Culbert.

go to top of page

Return to Rutherford B. Hayes Home Page

[Hayes Home | Museum | Library | Dillon House | Manuscripts | Biography]
[Membership | Store | Events Calendar | Staff | News Releases | Summary Background]
[R.B. Hayes Diary and Letters | Reception Desk: Hours, Map, Admission]