Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

 

Harnden Command Post #37
Union Veterans’ Union

 

LH-MISC MSS OVERSIZE


Introduction

Agency History

Scope and Content

Introduction

The Harnden Command Post #37 material was donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in 1991.

Agency History

Although no formal history of the Harnden Command Post exists, it is believed that the Clyde, Ohio chapter of the national Union Veterans’ Union formed around 1886. Membership was restricted to Civil War Army, Navy, and Marine Corps veterans who had served continuously for six months between the dates of 12 April 1861 and 30 April 1865 (unless discharged due to wounds). A further requirement was service on the front line and an honorable discharge. The Union Veterans’ Union and its chapters promoted veterans’ pension legislation, patriotism, care and relief of veterans.

Scope and Content

The collection consists of a single record series, the Clyde, Ohio Harnden Post membership roster. The roster was created between the years 1890 and 1892. The four-page record includes the name, age, birthplace, occupation, and Civil War service record of each post member.

Ac. 5154

go to top of page

Return to Rutherford B. Hayes Home Page

[Hayes Home | Museum | Library | Dillon House | Manuscripts | Biography]
[Membership | Store | Events Calendar | Staff | News Releases | Summary Background]
[R.B. Hayes Diary and Letters | Reception Desk: Hours, Map, Admission]