Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

 

Fremont Garden Center Council Records

1938-1988

 

LH-150

 

 


Introduction

Agency History

Scope and Content

Inventory

Addenda

 

 

Introduction

 

The records of the Fremont, Ohio Garden Center Council were donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center by the organization in 1982.

 

 

Agency History

 

The Fremont Garden Center was organized in April, 1938 by the Home Garden Club, one of many countywide garden clubs which would later comprise the Fremont Garden Center Council.  In 1941 the Fremont Garden Center moved into the basement of the Birchard Public Library in Fremont, Ohio,  where it remained headquartered until its dissolution in 1982.  1941 also witnessed the addition of the Fremont and Croghan Garden Clubs to the Garden Center project.  During the years of WWII,  persons interested in Victory Gardens made use of the Center.  In 1945 the Garden Center Council was formed.  The Garden Center was supported by assessing the member clubs yearly dues.  The Center held its first flower and fruit exhibit in September 1946 at Birchard Center in 1948 and 1949 respectively.  Two years later,  the Sun and Shade Gardeners were added to the Garden Center.  1954 saw the addition of two more clubs— Plant-N-Bloom and Harrison Trail.  The Garden Center in 1959 began holding its annual flower show in the newly constructed Fremont Ross Senior High School.  The following year saw the Lindsey Garden Club added to the roster of Fremont Garden Clubs.  By 1964 eight clubs with over 250 members comprised the Center.  In 1970 the Center’s name was officially changed in the organization’s constitution to that of Fremont Garden Center Council.  Six years later, only five clubs remained as members of the Council: — Countywide, Croghan, Home, Horizon, and Plant-N-Bloom.  As of May 28, 1982 the Fremont Garden Center Council became a defunct organization.  During its forty-five year existence, the Fremont Garden Center helped to beautify Fremont and the surrounding area, participated in Arbor Day plantings, placed books in the Birchard Public Library, and familiarized its membership and the community with the practices of good gardening.

 

 

Scope and Content

 

The records of the Fremont Garden Center Council consist chiefly of yearbooks from the various member countywide garden clubs, minutes of Garden Center meetings, 1942-1982, financial records, 1942-1982, programs and other miscellaneous material.

 

 

Inventory

 

1½ linear feet

Ac. 4477

 

Box 1

Folders:

1.  Minutes, May 1942 - November 1946

2.  Minutes, January 1947 - December 1959

3.  Minutes, January 1952 - December 1957

4.  Minutes, January 1960 - October 1965

5.  Minutes, January 1966 - October 1969

6.  Minutes, January 1970 - June 1975

7.  Minutes, February 1976 - November 1979

8.  Minutes, March 1980 - May 1982

9.  Meeting Notes, 1979

10.Treasurer’s Book, 1954-1982

11. Financial Records, 1942-1982 (includes miscellaneous records, bank book, 1942-1957 (Croghan

     Bank), check register, 1964-1982, and account of special fund, 1967-1970)

12. Constitution and By-Laws, 1963 & 1970

13. Histories

14. Programs

15. Fremont Flower Shows, 1959-1963

16. Flower Show Guest Book, July 27-28, 1963

17. 1964 Christmas Decoration (photos)

18. 40th Anniversary Guest Book, May 25, 1978

19. Map - “Civic Beautification”

20. Handbooks

21. Garden Poetry

22. Miscellaneous Papers

23. Cover Layout for 1968 History

 

Box 2  Club Yearbooks

Folders:

1.  Fremont Garden Club Yearbook, 1938

2.  Clyde Garden Club, 1949; Bellevue Garden Club, 1975-76; Green Springs Garden Club, 1947;

     Lindsey Garden Club, 1950 & 1961; and Woodville Garden Club, 1967

 

Countywide Garden Club (1949):

1947

1952

1962-63

1975-76

1976-77

1978-79

 

Croghan Garden Club (1939):

1947

1959

1960

1961

1963-65

1968-71

1975-75

1979

 

Fremont Garden Club (1938):

1938-52

1954

1956-59

1963-65

 

Hayes Garden Club (1948)

1970

1974

 

Home Garden Club (1948):

1947

1949

1950

1953

1960

1962-70

1973

1975

1976-79

1980

 

Horizon Garden Club (1947)

1949

1950

1953

1954

1958

1959

1962-69

1975

1976

1980

1981

 

New Bloom Garden Club (1971)

1972

 

Plant-N-Bloom Garden Club (1953):

1957-58

1961-67

1968-70

1972-77

 

Sun and Shade Garden Club (1950):

1952

1955

1959

 

Box 3

 

Program Booklets for Fremont Home Garden Club

1947

1949-53

1957-58

1960-70

1973

1975-76

1979-82

1984-86

 

Ledger containing minutes, membership roster, and news releases 1970-1988

 

Fiftieth Anniversary Guest Book

Certificates and Announcements (folder)          

 

 

Addenda

 

Ac. 5330

 

Croghan Garden Club - Addenda

Croghan Garden Club Minutes, membership roster, and news releases, 1979-85, 1985-89

 

Addenda

 

Ac. 5664

 

Program Booklets

 

1.  Countywide Garden Club, 1979 - 1980

2.  Croghan Garden Club, 1962

3.  Fremont Garden Club, 1953           

4.  Harrison Trail Garden Club, 1976

5.  Hayes Garden Club, 1968

6.  Home Garden Club, 1954

7.  Horizon Garden Club, 1957-1958

8.  Lindsey Garden Club, 1951

9.  New Bloom Garden Club, 1971

10. Plant n Bloom Garden Club, 1953-1954

11. Sun and Shade Gardeners, 1953

 

Fremont Garden Center Constituion & by-laws, 1963

Wooden gavel, inscribed “30th Anniversary Fremont Garden Center Council, May 16, 1968.”