Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
the Union Veterans
of the Civil War
Mattie McPherson Tent No. 46, Clyde, Ohio
Scope and Content
Photocopies of the membership roster of the Daughters of the Union Veterans of the Civil War, Mattie McPherson Tent No. 46, Clyde, Ohio, were a gift to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center from June Frankart of Clyde, Ohio in 1992.
Mattie McPherson Tent No. 46, Clyde, Ohio (1915-1959)
The Daughters of the Union Veterans was organized June 3, 1885 at Massillon, Ohio after five school girls observed a group of Sons of Veterans decorating graves. Originally, the name was Massillon Daughters of Veterans, but was changed to the National Alliance of the Daughters of Veterans, U.S.A. Lastly, its official title became Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War. Membership requirements included lineal descent from a Union Civil War soldier. The first "tent" was formed at Massillon, Ohio and named the Mrs. Major McKinley Tent #1. The national and state organizations were founded in June and September of 1890, respectively. This patriotic organization's purpose was to "perpetuate the names and deeds of members' fathers and brothers, their loyalty to the Union and their unselfish sacrifices for the perpetuity of the same, and to keep green the memory and history of those who participated in that heroic struggle for the maintenance of our free government."
The Clyde "tent" was formed June 17, 1915 with forty-nine charter members. The original officers are unknown other than Flora B. Rousch who served as its first secretary. The organization disbanded in 1959 due to lack of membership and interest.
Scope and Content
The photocopies represent the entire volume of the "tent's" membership roster throughout its existence. It contains the name, birthplace, age, and residence of each member. Each member's Civil War ancestor is listed along with his service record and GAR affiliation.
Photocopies of the membership record of the Daughters of the Union Veterans of the Civil War, Mattie McPherson Tent #46, Clyde, Ohio: 1915-1959.
go to top of page