Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

 

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church

Fremont, Ohio

 

LH-167

Introduction

Agency History

Scope and Content

Inventory

 

Introduction

 

Additional records of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church are retained by the church.

 

Agency History

 

On January 15, 1842, a meeting to organize a religious society in Lower Sandusky, Ohio, was held in the courthouse on Croghan Street.   The 28 citizens present became the nucleus of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church.  Following the canons of the Protestant Episcopal Church, articles of association were signed, wardens were chosen, and a delegate named to the Diocesan convention held in Newark, Ohio.  A temporary pastor, the Rev. James O’Kill, served from February 5, 1842 until November 4, 1842, when the Rev. William Flagg took over as the first permanent pastor.

 

By the end of 1845, a Sunday school and the Parish Aid Society had been formed, a baptism had been performed, and a class of 15 had been confirmed.  The church was consecrated November 14, 1845 by Bishop Charles P. McIlvaine of the Ohio Episcopal Diocese.

 

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 206 North Park Avenue, Fremont, Ohio, is the oldest church building still in use in Sandusky County.  The site was purchased in 1843 for $400.00.  The 60 by 42-foot building with seating for 52 was constructed at a cost of $3000.00.  Members pledged funds to pay for the construction.  Members “bought” pews when they were ordered in 1844; that money paid the pastor’s salary.

 

Over the years the structure has been remodeled several times. Gas illumination – the jets were installed on poles at the ends of pews – was added in 1861.  The church building was enlarged in 1872 and1873.

 

In 1890 the “Farmers’ Tavern,” an inn adjoining the church, was purchased and fitted out for use as a chapel, Sunday school classrooms, and rectory.  In 1906 both the church and the adjoining chapel were remodeled.  The church received a square tower, baptistery, choir stall and robing room, and an office for the rector.  The chapel was wired for electricity, and a porch was added.  It continued to serve as the rectory until a house on Clover Street was purchased in 1916.

 

Major structural repairs and changes were made in 1965 and1966.  The chancel, containing the altar, lectern, and pulpit, was torn down and rebuilt five feet to the west.  When the marble flooring, pulpit, and altar were reinstalled, the altar was made free standing.  A retable and dossal curtain were installed behind the altar.  The entire church was rewired.

 

The outside walls were sandblasted and repainted.  Interior walls were repainted, and brass was re-plated.  Nearly all work was done by Fremont firms.  The church was rededicated May 22, 1966.  In June 1977 St. Paul’s Episcopal Church was entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

 

Scope and Content

 

The contents of these records span the years between 1842 and1992.  The majority of the documents are from the years 1842 to 1900.  Documents provide information about church membership, finances, and programs. Perhaps the most valuable of the records are the Parish Records (Volume I, II, and III) found in the first box. In addition to organizational information, the volumes contain family registers, giving surnames and names of children within each family. Names and dates are also given for members who died, were baptized, confirmed, or married. Those who joined or transferred from St. Paul’s also are listed. Documents relating to additions and alterations of church property are numerous. Activities of organizations, such as Women’s Auxiliary, Ladies’ Guild, and Altar Chapter, are part of this collection as well.  

 

Inventory

3 ½ linear ft.

 

Box 1

1. Parish Record Book, Volume I 1842 – 1864 (organization, treasurers’ reports, parish vestry records)

2. Parish Record Book, Volume II 1843 – 1874 (families, baptisms,      confirmations, communicants, marriages, burials)

3. Parish Record Book 1843 – 1874

      4. Parish Record Book, Volume III 1842 – 1876 (vestry meetings’ minutes)

      5. Vestry Record Book 1889 – 1918

 

Box 2

      1. Inventory of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church records at Hayes Presidential Center

      2. Handwritten book (circa 1830s) of poems for albums

      3. Subscription lists; certifications of loans from Buckland & Pease 1843 to 1845

4. Contracts for construction of church 1843; Quitclaim, June 4, 1843; mortgage, December 27, 1849; note, June 3, 1843

      5. Lists of slip [pew] renters 1843 – 1846

      6. Rectors’ salary receipts 1843 – 1850

      7. Letters of rectors and vestrymen

      8. Miscellaneous receipts and notes 1844 – 1850

      9. Sentence of Consecration, November 14, 1845; copy of account of incorporation

      10. Slip [pew] assessments; receipts, notes 1849; 1851; 1880

      11. Financial memo book – miscellaneous entries 1858 - ?

      12. Business papers; miscellaneous 1867 – 1882

      13. Miscellaneous certificates 1870 – 1873

      14. Loan Exhibition pamphlets (80)

      15. Sunday school class book 1884

      16. Ben Hur Pageant; social events 1886; 1894

      17. References to St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Church Life [publication] 1887

      18. Subscription book May 1890 for purchase of inlot #63

      19. Cancelled checks; receipts 1890 – 1894

      20. Papers of George Buckland and others concerning purchase of Miller lot for

      Chapel, 1889, 1890, 1893        

      21 Papers concerning purchase of Miller lot for chapel 1889, 1890, 1893

      22 Miscellaneous bills and receipts 1875; 1892

      23 Papers concerning bequest and upkeep of grave of the Rev. Alonzo Phelp,                   

      1890-1891

      24 Treasurer’s book 1911 – 1918

      25. Church property appraisal 1942

      26 Correspondence concerning the history of the church

 

Box 3

      27 Printed histories of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church and other parishes

      28 Chronology of St. Paul’s Parish

      29 Correspondence from Diocese of Ohio 1865 – 1905

      30 Miscellaneous correspondence 1866 – 1917

      31 Treasurer’s book of the Ladies Aid Society 1878 – 1889

      32 Sunday school class book No. 9, (circa 1880s)

      33 Records of St. Paul’s altar guild 1890

      34 First annual recital of St. Paul’s Vested Choir 1905

      35 Minutes of the Women’s Auxiliary January 10, 1924 – December 4, 1930

      36 Minutes of the Women’s Auxiliary June 6, 1912 – 1923

      37 St. Paul’s Women’s Auxiliary program booklets 1910 – 1941

      38 St. Paul’s Church Periodical Club miscellaneous materials 1912 – 1918

      39 French orphan adoption papers 1918

      40 Altar Chapter Record Book 1937

      41 Minutes of the Ladies’ Guild December 1938 – November 15, 1939

      42 Miscellaneous church bulletins 1881 – 1949

      43 Programs for activities held at the church early 1900’s

      44 Newspaper clippings circa 1917

      45 Newspaper clippings re Rev. Franklin E. Hauck, his mother, and his brother

      46 Photographs of Rev. F. E. Hauck and his home

      47 Certificates received by Rev. F. E. Hauck

      48 Miscellaneous booklets, cards, etc.

      49 “Morning and Evening Prayers for the Family,” Rev. A. Phelps, 1862

      50 “St. Paul’s Churchman,” 1891

 

Box 4

      51 Church Life November 1928

      52 Photographs of the church and former pastors

      53 Transcriptions from other collections (McIlwaine – Episcopal Bishop of Ohio,            

            1832-1890)  

       54 Miscellaneous odds and ends

       55 The Prefect to Mrs. Raymond Sprunk dtd Vatican City, August 3, 1981.          

       56 An Interlude of Wealth and Health, Cleveland: The Clerk’s Press, 1910

       57 The Rev. Franklin E. Hauck correspondence, etc.

       58 National Park Service certificate for National Register of Historic Places 1977

       59 Program, photos, etc., 150th Anniversary 1992

       60 Programs, newspaper clippings, etc., special events 1866 – 1967

       61 Membership directories 1967 – 1977

       62 Women’s Auxiliary, Altar Guild miscellany

       63 Financial statements 1941 – 1988

       64 Loose clippings from bound scrapbook

       65 Loose bulletins, etc., from bound scrapbook

 

Bound volume

         Scrapbook of newspaper clippings, souvenir items, etc., 1876 – 1914

 

Oversize

            Photograph of the Rev. Franklin Hauck at home

            The Missionary Echo, February, 1874 (2 copies)

            The Standard of the Red Cross, November 26, 1870

            The Western Episcopalian, August 9, 1866

            Napkins with advertising of Fremont, Ohio, businesses, circa 1900

            Lithograph – without frame – of “Our Saviour”

            Deaconship certificates dated June 18, 1916 and July 8, 1917