Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
St. Wendelin Catholic Church
Scope and Content
The records of St. Wendelin Catholic Church, 1938 – 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in February 2002, with the cooperation of Father Daniel J. Ring of St. Wendelin Catholic Church. The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center purchased three rolls (1, 2, and 4) of the six rolls of microfilm that make up the holdings of microfilmed records of St. Wendelin Catholic Church.
St. Wendelin Catholic Church was created as a mission in 1848, after a brief period (1844-1848) under the care of Father Joseph MacNaMee, pastor of St. Mary Church in Tiffin and the Sanguinists of the New Riegel Mission. The care of St. Wendelin fell under the Sanguinist Fathers of the New Riegel Mission (1847-1859). Several itinerant pastors administered the sacraments in the early years. The first resident pastor was Father Michael Buetz (1869). The first church, a primitive log structure, was built in 1848 and a brick church was dedicated in 1882. The present church was dedicated on December 18, 1993. A rectory, convent, and school are affiliated with the parish.
This history was originally written by Stephen M. Charter, Reference Archivist, Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University in 1997.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.) Some text is in Latin. *There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
Some of the St. Wendelin Catholic Church records were previously microfilmed in 1997. The unrestricted records are as follows: Baptisms 1850 - 1924, First Communions 1876 - 1964, Confirmations 1876 - 1964, Marriages 1858 - 1961, and Deaths 1858 - 1997. The Baptisms 1925 - 1938 were restricted. This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in February 2002.
Mf. 3 rolls
1. Baptisms, 1850-1886
2. Baptisms, 1886-1908
3. Baptisms, 1908-1922
4. Baptisms, 1922-1924
5. First Communions/Confirmations, 1876-1913
6. First Communions, 1906-1943
7. Confirmations, 1905-1941
8. First Communions/Confirmations, 1944-1964
9. Record Book (Marriages and Deaths), 1858-1886
1. Record Book (Marriages and Deaths), 1886-1911
2. Marriages, 1908-1942
3. Marriages, 1942-1961
4. Deaths, 1916-1946
5. Deaths, 1946-1979
6. Deaths, 1979-1997
1. First Communions, 1965 - 2001
2. Confirmations, 1963 - 2001
3. Deaths, 1979 - 2002