Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

 

Royal Arch Masons, Fremont, Ohio

Chapter No. 64

 

LH-382

Introduction

Agency History

Scope and Content

Inventory

 

Introduction

 

The Royal Arch Masons, Fremont, Ohio Chapter No. 64 records were donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in 2012 by Herb Smith

 

Agency History

 

In the United States, Royal Arch Masonry (RAM) was founded in 1797 at Boston, Massachusetts as a national organization that today (2013) has jurisdiction over half the 7,000 chapters in the world.  Royal Arch Masonry is also known as “Capitular Masonry” and is the first part of the York Rite System of Masonic Degrees.  They meet as a chapter, and the chapter confers four degrees: Mark Master Mason, Past Master, Most Excellent Master and Royal Arch Mason.  The motto of this organization is “holiness to the lord” with a belief in one God and respect for each other.  The tau is one of the most important symbols in Royal Arch Masonry and is the Greek letter “T.”  The entire symbol is formed by a triple tau meeting in a point in the center of a triangle and circle.  It also includes the initials of the Temple of Jerusalem, T.H., Templum Hierosolymae or mystical union of the Father and Son, “H” Jehovah and “T” the Son.

 

The lodge symbolism of Royal Arch Masonry deals with lessons of the material side of life, while its degrees focus on the spiritual side of life.  Anyone seeking membership in the Royal Arch Masons must sign a petition, stating his age, occupation and place of residence.  Members of the chapter vote by ballot A unanimous ballot is necessary for member acceptance.

 

According to the minute books, the Royal Arch Masons, Fremont, Ohio Chapter No. 64 was chartered on October 20, 1855.  Meetings were held twice a month on Thursdays at the local Masonic Hall.  Members introduced various petitions, cast ballots and voted on a current mason advancing to a higher degree.  They also elected officials, paid the organization’s bills and documented financial records.  Eventually the chapter dissolved and merged with the Royal Arch Masons, Clyde, Ohio Chapter No. 90.  The chapter donates to several local and national charities.  Today (2013) the organization meets once a month and has approximately eight-five members.

 

Scope and Content

 

This collection spans the years from 1902 – 1993, with the bulk of the materials dating from 1910 – 1960s.  There are three ledger books containing meeting minutes from 1911 – 1946.  The collection also includes a transfer membership ledger from 1902 – 1993 that provides each member’s name, date of birth, occupation and residence. The files are arranged alphabetically by members’ surnames.

 

Inventory

Ac. 5818

 

 Box 1

Transfer Membership Ledger

1.   Addis - Auxter

2.   Baker - Byers

3.   Carper - Cutting

4.   Danford - Dundore

5.   Eagon - Esterly

6.   Feathers - Fuller

7.   Garn – Gust

8.   Hackett – Huss

9.   Ickes – Immel

      Jacobs – Justice

10. Keefe – Kueck

11. Laird – Lutz

12. McCachren – McShane

      Mackey – Myers

13. Nagle – Norris

14. Ogden – Oxley

15. Padgett – Pump

16. Rady – Rutherford

17. Saam – Swaisgood

18. Teal – Twiem

19. Uphold

      Vallance – Voss

20. Wadsworth – Wright

21. Younker

      Zahn – Zweily

 

Minute Books

January 5, 1911 – December 20, 1917

January 3, 1918 – June 25, 1924

December 1, 1938 – June 7, 1946