collection was donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in 2013
by Sandra Zenser.
Reid was born on 13 July 1813 in Aberdeen, Scotland to Alexander and Catherine
Reid. He came to the United States by
the way of London, Ontario, Canada before settling in the Lower Sandusky area
(now Fremont, Ohio). Charles went into
business for himself, building a large cooper shop that employed several
coopers and produced hundreds of barrels a day.
The barrels were used to store flour, corn, fish, meats, sugar, butter
and tobacco, among other products.
married Susanna (Susanah) Glaze, the daughter of Adam and Rachel Glaze, on 10
January 1842 in Lower Sandusky (now Fremont, Ohio). Charles and Susanna had twelve children born
to this union: Catherine McFarland; Alexander; Rachel Harbert; Susannah
Trimmons; Charles; Elizabeth; John; James; Margaret Teeter; Mary Gibson;
William and Emmaline Thompson. After
managing his cooper shop for several years, Charles sold the business and moved
the family westward in 1850 to become a farmer.
They finally settled in Cass Township, White County, Indiana on one
hundred and sixty acres of land.
Reid died on 6 February 1887 and is buried in a Catholic cemetery near Pulaski,
This artificial collection is made up of photocopies
from the original ledger, spanning the years of 1844 – 1860. The ledger is approximately 270 pages in
length and records the business sales of Charles Reid while in Ballville
Township, Sandusky County, Ohio. The
fifteen year period provides a partial account of Sandusky County businesses
and residents. Some of his frequent
customers were; Crogan Mills, C.J. Pettibon(e), Albert Pelton, Samuel Decker,
P.W. Marsh, W.J. Brown and L.D. Miller.
Laid into the back of the ledger are several letters from a son who
served in the Civil War.