Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

 

Order of the Eastern Star

Fremont, Ohio Chapter #133; Clyde, Ohio Chapter #73; Oak Harbor, Ohio Chapter #131; Gibsonburg, Ohio Chapter #451

 

LH-208

Introduction

Agency History

Scope and Content

Inventory

Addenda

 

Introduction

 

The records of the Fremont Chapter, #133 were donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center in 1971.  Additional records (Addenda, LH-338) of the Fremont Chapter, Clyde Chapter; #73; Gibsonburg Chapter, #451; and Oak Harbor Chapter, #131 were donated in 2006

 

Agency History

 

The Order of the Eastern Star is the largest fraternal organization in the world open to both men and women, with approximately 1 million members worldwide.  Founded in 1850, by Dr. Robert Morris, it is dedicated to the principles of Freemasonry and has “Charitable, Educational, Fraternal and Scientific” purposes.  Personal growth, charity, and social enjoyment are emphasized.  The Order of the Eastern Star donates to many charitable organizations.  It also provides scholarships (ESTARL--Eastern Star Training Awards for Religious Leadership) to students attending school for religious training.  Eastern Star Chapters provide for their older members as well, either through retirement homes or other special services. 

 

The Order of the Eastern Star is led by the General Grand Chapter in Washington, D.C.  Underneath the General Grand Chapter are four Grand Jurisdictions (the continental United States forms a Grand Jurisdiction, for example).  Ohio also has a Grand Chapter of Ohio, underneath which are 273 local chapters.  As of August 2006, Ohio had 51,537 members in the Order of the Eastern Star.  A Worthy Matron and her fellow officers, who are elected annually, lead each local chapter.  The Worthy Matron chooses a theme, such as “loyalty”, that her chapter will follow that year. 

 

Membership in the order is limited to Master Masons and their female relatives.  Members of the International Order of the Rainbow for Girls and the International Order of Job's Daughters who are at least 18 years old are also eligible for membership. 

 

The Fremont Chapter, #133, Order of the Eastern Star began on November 20, 1900.  W.S. Lewis called the meeting to order, and after the name of the new chapter was decided upon, George C. Hess was elected Worthy Patron, Mrs. A.C. Sherwood Worthy Matron, and Mrs. Bertha Baumann, Associate Matron.  On November 27, another meeting was held for further elections.  Mrs. A.C. Sherwood had refused the office of Worthy Matron, so then Bertha Baumann was elected in her place.  Mrs. Minnie DePeyster was elected as the new Associate Matron.  The other officers elected were:  Mrs. Laura B. Stierwalt, Secretary; Mrs. Laura V. Carter, Treasurer; Mrs. Ethel Hess, Conductress; and Mrs. Mattie Russel, Assoc. Conductress.  The first meeting held in the Masonic Hall was Dec. 10, 1900.  After W.H. Jackson, Patron of the Clyde Chapter called the meeting to order, the Fremont Chapter was instituted by Worthy Grand Patron W.P. Semple of Van Wert, Ohio and the officers of the Clyde Chapter, #73, Order of the Eastern Star.  The by-laws were then created.  The charter was granted for the Fremont Chapter on October 9, 1901, with 43 members signing. 

 

In September of 1921, Fremont Chapter officers instituted the Gibsonburg Chapter. #451.  In September of 1961, all permanent records of the Fremont Chapter were given to the Hayes Presidential Center.  On February 26, 1987, the Gibsonburg Chapter merged with the Fremont Chapter.  All of the Gibsonburg records were placed in Hayes Presidential Center.  On June 10, 1999, Oak Harbor Chapter, #131, merged with the Fremont Chapter. 

 

The Clyde Chapter, #73, Order of the Eastern Star had its beginnings in December 1896 when nineteen petitioners held a meeting in the Masonic Hall.  Brother B.F. Jackson was nominated chairman and Brother A.W. Wiles temporary Secretary.  The following officers were elected: Mary P Bacon, Worthy Matron; A.W. Wiles, Worthy Patron; Electa Arnold, Associate Matron; Kate Curtiss, Conductress; Ana Lambert, Associate Conductress; Alice Stewart, Secretary; and Estella Tiffany, Treasurer.  The by-laws were then drafted.  The Clyde Chapter was instituted on December 30, 1896 by Past Grand Matron Gertrude B. Williams and Past Patron O.W. Williams of Norwalk and 24 members of the Queen Esther Chapter.  In October of 1897, Clyde Chapter was granted its charter.  There were 41 members after this first year. 

 

In September 1900, Clyde Chapter officers instituted Oak Harbor Chapter, # 131, and on December 10, 1900, they assisted Grand Patron William Semple in instituting Fremont Chapter, # 133. 

 

The Oak Harbor Chapter, #131, Order of the Eastern Star was instituted by officers from Clyde chapter in September 1900.  Lelia Mylander was the first Worthy Matron.  The other opening officers were:  Julia Sperling, Assoc. Matron; Amos Fought, Worthy Patron; Lizzie Bredehoft, Conductress; and Francis Huych, Assoc. Conductress. 

The Oak Harbor Chapter continued successfully for over 90 years.  Then, after several years of lagging attendance, Oak Harbor Chapter voted to merge with Fremont Chapter.  The merger occurred June 10, 1999. 

 

The Gibsonburg Chapter, #451, Order of the Eastern Star was instituted July 28, 1921.  Worthy Grand Patron  Harry J. Machle called the meeting to order.  He appointed Hannah M. Eyestone as Worthy Matron, Joseph Smith as Worthy Patron, and Mary Kenan as Assoc. Matron.  The new Worthy Matron then appointed the following officers:  Annie E. Gill, Secretary, Agnes Oviatt, Treasurer; Dorothy Smith, Conductress; and Cena Klotz, Assoc. Conductress. 

 

Gibson burg enjoyed many years as a successful chapter; however, on October 9, 1986, Gibsonburg Chapter did not have enough members to complete elections.  On December 11, 1986, it was voted to merge with the Fremont Chapter.  The merger took place February 26, 1987.  All of Gibsonburg Chapter’s records were donated to the Hayes Presidential Center. 

 

Scope and Content

 

This collection includes records from the Fremont chapter donated in 1971. They include the complete minutes from 1900 to 1971, ledgers of members and dues from 1900 to 1951, treasurer’s cash books from 1900 to 1920 and 1932 to 1951. Each record group is arranged chronologically and comprise Local History Collection 208.. 

 

The addenda (Local History Collection 338) to this collection include additional records of the Fremont chapter, including membership records from 1957 to 1981, treasurer’s cash books from 1900 to 1990; and the complete secretary’s cash books from 1900 to 1988, as well as copies of their by-laws and amendments made to them.  The Clyde chapter records include the complete minutes from 1912 to 1996, complete treasurer’s cash books from 1928 to 1994, and secretary’s cash books from 1904 to 1941 and 1945 to 1994, as well as a copy of their by-laws.  The Oak Harbor chapter records include the complete minutes for the life of the chapter, 1900-1999, as well as their standing rules.  The Gibsonburg Chapter records include the complete minutes for the life of the chapter, 1921-1987, secretary’s cash books from 1921 to 1994, treasurer’s account books from 1921 to 1978, and sewing circle records from 1931 to 1944.  There are also two invitations from other chapters, and booklets from Clyde Chapter’s 75th and 100th anniversaries and Fremont Chapter’s 100th anniversary. 

 

Each chapter’s records are arranged separately with the exception of the Gibsonburg chapter records (Box 9).  Filed with the records are invitations from other chapters and the anniversary booklets created by the Fremont and Clyde chapters.. 

 

Inventory

 

3 linear ft.

 

Box 1

 

1. Fremont Chapter—Minutes Nov. 20, 1900 - Nov. 9, 1907

2. Fremont Chapter—Minutes July 7, 1909 - March 28, 1912

3. Fremont Chapter—Minutes April 11, 1912 - Dec. 14, 1916

4. Fremont Chapter—Minutes Dec. 28, 1916 - Nov. 11, 1920

5. Fremont Chapter—Minutes Nov. 11, 1920 – June 24, 1926

6. Fremont Chapter—Minutes Sept. 9, 1926 – Dec. 13, 1928

7. Fremont Chapter—Minutes Dec. 27, 1928 – May 10, 1934

8. Fremont Chapter—Minutes May 24, 1934 – Nov. 9, 1939

9. Fremont Chapter—Minutes Dec. 14, 1939 – April 25, 1946

10. Fremont Chapter—Minutes May 9, 1946 – Dec. 2, 1954

 

Box 2

 

1. Fremont Chapter—Minutes Dec 9, 1954 – March 10, 1960

2. Fremont Chapter—Minutes March 24, 1960 – Sept. 23, 1965

3. Fremont Chapter—Minutes Oct. 14, 1965 – March 11, 1971

4. Fremont Chapter—Ledger of Members and Dues Oct. 1, 1900- Sept 1, 1920

5. Fremont Chapter—Ledger of Members and Dues 1932-1951

 

Addenda

 

LH-338

Ac. 5640

13 ½ linear ft

 

Inventory

 

Box 1

 

1. Fremont Chapter—By-laws and Amendments

2. Fremont Chapter—Membership Records 1957-1981

3. Fremont Chapter—Treasurer’s Cash Book 1900-1927

4. Fremont Chapter—Treasurer’s Cash Books 1927-1948

5. Fremont Chapter—Treasurer’s Cash Book 1948-1953

6. Fremont Chapter—Treasurer’s Cash Book 1981-1990

7. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1901-1916

8. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1917-1923

9. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1923-1927

10. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1927-1929

11. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1929-1932

12. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1932-1936

13. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1936-1943

14. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1943-1946

15. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1946-1950

16. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1950-1955

17. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1955-1960

18. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1960-1969

19. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1969- 1976

20. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1977-1981

21. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1981-1985

22. Fremont Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1985-1988

 

Box 2

 

1. Clyde Chapter—Ledger 1897-1924

2. Clyde Chapter—Minutes March 27, 1912 – Oct. 25, 1922

3. Clyde Chapter—Minutes Nov. 8, 1922 – April 13, 1938

4. Clyde Chapter—Minutes April 27, 1938 – March 13, 1946

5. Clyde Chapter—Minutes March 27, 1946 – Nov. 1, 1952

6. Clyde Chapter—Minutes Nov. 12, 1952 – Jan. 27, 1960

7. Clyde Chapter—Minutes Feb. 10, 1960 – Feb. 26, 1964

8. Clyde Chapter—Minutes March 11, 1964 – March 26, 1969

9. Clyde Chapter—Minutes April 9, 1969 – Sept. 25, 1974

 

Box 3

 

1. Clyde Chapter—Minutes Oct. 9, 1974 – Jan 23, 1980

2. Clyde Chapter—Minutes Feb. 13, 1980 – Sept. 12, 1985

3. Clyde Chapter—Minutes Sept. 25, 1985 – Feb. 13, 1991

4. Clyde Chapter—Minutes Feb. 27, 1991 – Dec. 7, 1996

5. Clyde Chapter—Treasurer’s Account Book 1928-1949

6. Clyde Chapter—Treasurer’s Cash Books 1948-1962

7. Clyde Chapter—Treasurer’s Cash Book 1962-1977

8. Clyde Chapter—Treasurer’s Cash Book 1977-1986

9. Clyde Chapter—Treasurer’s Cash Book 1986-1994

10. Clyde Chapter—Visitors’ Register 1921-1942

 

Box 4

 

1. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1904-1916

2. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1916-1922

3. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1922-1926

4. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1926- 1930

5. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1930-1934

6. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1934-1938

7. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1938-1941

8. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1945-1950

9. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1950-1955

10. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1955-1959

11. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1959-1962

12. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1962-1967

13. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1970-1977

14. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1977-1985

15. Clyde Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1986-1994

16. Clyde Chapter—Inventory, Loans 1945-1952

17. Clyde Chapter—By-laws

 

Box 5

 

1. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Oct. 23, 1900 – Dec. 28, 1909

2. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Jan. 11, 1910 – June 26, 1923

3. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Sept. 11, 1923 – March 10, 1931

4. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes March 24, 1931 – March 11, 1938

5. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes March 22, 1938 – Sept. 25, 1945

6. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Oct. 9, 1945 – Sept. 18, 1951

7. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Sept. 25, 1951 – Nov. 27, 1956

8. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Dec. 4, 1956 – Feb. 4, 1961

9. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Feb. 28, 1961 – Oct. 13, 1964

10. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Nov. 10, 1964 – Feb. 25, 1969

 

Box 6

 

1. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes March 11, 1969 – Jan. 22, 1974

2. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Feb. 12, 1974 – March 28, 1978

3. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes April 11, 1978 – Oct. 11, 1983

4. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Oct. 25, 1983 – Feb. 11, 1992

5. Oak Harbor Chapter—Minutes Feb. 25, 1992 – May 25, 1999

6. Oak Harbor Chapter—Standing Rules

 

Box 7

 

1. Gibsonburg Chapter—Minutes 1921-1927

2. Gibsonburg Chapter—Minutes 1927-1939

3. Gibsonburg Chapter—Minutes 1939-1946

4. Gibsonburg Chapter—Minutes 1946-1958

5. Gibsonburg Chapter—Minutes 1958-1966

6. Gibsonburg Chapter—Minutes 1967-1977

7. Gibsonburg Chapter—Minutes 1978-1987

 

Box 8

 

1. Gibsonburg Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1921-1933

2. Gibsonburg Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1933-1947

3. Gibsonburg Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1948-1962

4. Gibsonburg Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book1960-1968

5. Gibsonburg Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1968-1985

6. Gibsonburg Chapter—Secretary’s Cash Book 1985-1994

 

Box 9

 

1. Gibsonburg Chapter—Treasurer’s Cash Books 1921-1959

2. Gibsonburg Chapter—Treasurer’s Account Book 1960-1978

3. Gibsonburg Chapter—Sewing Circle 1931-1944

4. Misc. Chapter Invitations

5. Fremont and Clyde Chapter History Booklets