Rutherford B. Hayes
North Ridge Progressive Farm Women’s Club
Scope and Content
The records of the North Ridge Progressive Farm Women’s Club and the Ohio Farm Women’s Club Federation were donated by Karen Vardyan in 2012. In addition to North Ridge, the Hayes Presidential Center holds Sandusky County chapter records for Batesole (LH-272) and Friendship Circle (LH-286) as well as some district records (Sandusky/Seneca Counties) for the Ohio Farm Women’s Club Federation (LH-288) later known as the Ohio Federation of Farm Women’s Club.
The North Ridge Progressive Farm Women’s Club held its first meeting on February 23, 1928 at the home of Louise Heflinger who became its first president. The organization was a Sandusky County, Ohio chapter of the Ohio Farm Women’s Club Federation. According to the federation’s 1913 constitution, the purpose was to “bring rural women into closer relationship with one another in Ohio in order to promote, thru common interests, the general welfare of the state, and especially the betterment of conditions in rural homes and communities, and to afford facilities for helpful interchange of ideas and club methods.”
Sandusky County’s first chapter was Green Creek, organized in 1915 as the state’s 58th chapter. By 1928, when North Ridge was organized, there were 11 chapters in Sandusky County, Ohio and 158 chapters throughout 40 of the state’s 88 counties. The Ohio Farm Women’s Club Federation boasted a statewide membership of 3,560 that year. By 1974, there were only 47 chapters statewide, ten of which were in Sandusky County with a total membership of 188. Members paid a small annual fee that was used for federation expenses associated with the annual conference. Although there were state and district officers, chapters were fairly autonomous.
North Ridge’s stated purpose was to “promote cooperation of farm women in their local neighborhood for social enlivenment and betterment of rural conditions in farm homes and communities.” The organization was designed for women interested in farm life and involved in the community. Officers included a president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer, legislation, health and a cheers liaison. At monthly meetings, the organization presented information on numerous topics: holidays, housework, recipes, literature, art, and community. The organization held a Mother-Daughter Banquet each May. Membership was set at twenty-six, but never reached full capacity.
Scope and Content
The records consist of a ledger, dating from 1928 to 1970, containing a continuous record of meeting minutes; the organization’s constitution; a fairly complete set of program booklets; Mother-Daughter Banquet booklets; and 10 newspaper clippings. The bulk of the information is from the 1930s to the 1940s. The last available document is dated 1993.
The records also contain 3 Ohio Women’s Club Federation constitutions and a fairly complete set of annual and/or biennial state rosters through 1974. The rosters list state federation officers, district and county officers, executive committee members, chapter names organized by county, and chapter officers.
Also included are three annual program booklets (1933, 1935, 1937) for the Fruit Ridge Horticulture Society which appears to have been formed in 1898 in Sandusky County, Ohio. This organization is unrelated to the Ohio Farm Women’s Club Federation. The program booklets provide names of officers and members, monthly meeting dates and locations, topics, meeting agendas, and names of meeting leaders.
¼ linear ft.
1. North Ridge Constitution
2. Minutes: 1928 - 1970
3. Program Booklets: 1934, 1936, 1937, 1938-1941, 1943-1949, 1952-1954, 1955-1956,
1963, 1965-1966, 1968-1971, 1973-1984, 1986-1987, 1993
4. Mother-Daughter Banquet Programs: 1935 and 1975
5. Copies of Ohio Farm Women’s Club constitutions (3 dated 1913)
Rosters: 1914 – 1916; 1919 – 1929; 1938/1939; 1941/1942; 1947/1948; 1951/1952 – 1955/1956; 1959/1960 – 1968/1970; 1973/1974; Program “Suggestion” booklets, 1982 – 1984, 1987; annual meeting program, 1979
Newspaper Clippings 1938, 1941, 1954, 1957, 1961
6. Fruit Ridge Horticulture
Society annual program booklets: 1933, 1935, 1937