Hayes Presidential Center
Ancient Order of the Druids
Grove #14 Fremont,
The minutes of Schiller Grove #14 United Ancient Order of the
Druids were donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center by Patricia
Dwyer in 2007.
The United Ancient Order of the Druids is a fraternal
organization founded in London, England in 1771 by Henry Hurle, who hoped to promote “good fellowship, hilarity and
brotherly love.” Based on the principles and virtues of Ancient Druidism, the
organization’s purpose was to promote Druidism’s lessons and teachings in
developing intellect, harmony, and justice. The organization believes that Druidism
was a “way of life,” a system of morality.
While Druidism espouses good citizenship, it rejects all forms of
religious and political philosophies. The aims of the Druids are “Unity, Peace,
Its motto is “United To Assist.” Applicants for
membership must be men between the ages of 18 and 50 years old; of unblemished
character; mentally and bodily sound; and recognize and respect “The Supreme
Power of the Universe.” In the United
States, the Druids first organized in New York in 1830. Gradually the order expanded,
establishing chapters in other states.
The records of the United Ancient Order of the Druids,
Schiller Grove #14, consist of a single ledger containing meeting minutes
written in German script. The
minutes appear to record the establishment of the Fremont, Ohio
chapter on July 21, 1859. The results of elections and records of dues payments
are listed periodically throughout the ledger. Early members included Christian
Michael, William Schrader, Jacob Faller, Frederick Willmer, Lewis Eichel, Jacob Zorn,
Joseph Magrum, Gottlieb Schell, Adolph Wolf, Jacob
Hartman, and George Homan, who appears in the ledger as the first secretary. By
1861, membership had grown to 20 individuals. Later members include Frederick
Frentzel, Jacob and John Keller, A. Young, John Doncyson, Paul Knerr, Charles
Bellinger, Joseph Hidler,
John Krebs, Lorenzo Dick, Val. Zerman, John Offinger, Jacob Bauman, and Jacob Horlacher, Meetings were held weekly in Fremont, Ohio, at the corner of Arch and State Streets.
Schiller Grove #14 existed until at least 1890. When the organization disbanded is
The records consist of a single ledger containing United
Order of the Ancient Druids Schiller Grove #14 weekly meeting minutes and other
organization business written entirely in German script. The records date from
July 21, 1859 to April 26, 1869.