About the Manuscripts Division
To honor the memory of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States, the Hayes family established the first presidential library in the United States and the only one devoted to a nineteenth century President. Opened in 1916, the institution collects and preserves written and visual materials that document the legal, political, and military career as well as the personal life and interests of Rutherford B. Hayes.
The Manuscripts Division of the Hayes Presidential Library and Museums contains more than 6000 linear feet of documentary material in six major collecting areas: Rutherford B. Hayes and the Hayes family; the Gilded Age; the Charles E. Frohman Collection (Great Lakes and Erie Islands); Local History of Northwest Ohio; Special Collections; and Local Government . For one hundred years, the Hayes Presidential Library and Musaeums has actively collected, preserved, and made available for research its rich and diverse holdings.
Descriptions of collections may be found in the Library's Research Room. Filed alphabetically, the finding aids describe the contents of the manuscript collections (textual and film) in each of the six collecting areas. Finding aids are being digitized and made available on the institution's web site. Although this project is a work in progress, those online finding aids currently available can be accessed by selecting one of the six collecting areas and then choosing the linked title of interest from the alphabetical list provided.
Contact: Curator of Manuscripts Nan Card, Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center, Spiegel Grove, Fremont, Ohio 43420. 1/800-998-7737, ext. 239. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.