- Please order no more than five obituaries at a time, and submit no more than two orders per month.
- Each order should include your full name, a complete mailing address and any obituary citations found.
- There is a $1.00 processing fee per order, plus a charge of $.05 per copy or scan. No payment is required up front. We will send an invoice with your copies or scans, and you mail a check or money order to the address provided on the invoice. If you have an Akron-Summit County Public Library card, the charge may be added to your account and you may pay online with a credit card.
- If you would like your documents emailed, please specify if you have a preference for PDF or jpg files
- All orders will be fulfilled within five weeks but are normally completed sooner.
Newspaper sources we reference in the Ohio Obituary Index include the Akron Beacon Journal and the Akron Beacon Journal Series, which is a microfilm series of earlier newspapers that eventually became the Akron Beacon Journal (the Summit Beacon, the Summit County Beacon, the Akron Daily Beacon, the Akron Beacon & Republican and the Beacon Journal). While we use Akron Beacon Journal Series as a general source in this Index, we cite the specific newspaper in which an obituary appeared when we send a copy.
Library staff and volunteers are adding entries into the Ohio Obituary Index database as time permits. Until the data entry is complete, you may consult the following indexes on our website to order obituaries:
Akron Beacon Journal indexes, 1841 - 1939 (check under the "Deaths" heading as well as under the individual's last name)
Akron Beacon Journal obituary indexes, 1937 - present
For more information or to submit an order, contact:
Special Collections Division
Akron-Summit County Public Library
60 South High Street
Akron, Ohio 44326