The Genealogical Benefits of Becoming a Hayes Presidential Center Member
1. If you belong to the Hayes Presidential Center at the $45 level or above you can get Heritage Quest Online and Newspaper Archives at home on your own computer.
Heritage Quest provides the following:
- All of the US census records from 1790 to 1930 for all the states, digitized, most of which are indexed.
- Over 25,000 books on genealogy and local history which have been digitized and every-name indexed
- PERSI – Periodical Source Index – an index to 6500 genealogical journals, including 1.6 million citations.
- Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land-Warrant Application Files – Digitized selected records from over 80,000 Revolutionary War soldiers.
- Freedman’s Bank Records 1865- 1874
"The world's largest online newspaper archive. Featuring billions of articles from historical newspapers around the U.S. and the world, NewspaperARCHIVE makes exploring history and genealogy easy and fun. Discover fascinating news in archived newspapers hundreds of years old - including obituaries, birth announcements, sports articles, comics, and more – to fill in the life stories you are interested in. "
You can come into the Library and use these online services for free on our computers, but it is also available for those members who have purchased a year’s membership at the Individual Plus ($45) level and up on their home computers.
2. One year's subscription at home to www.Archives.com . When a person becomes a member at the $45 level or above or renews, he/she will be given a unique username and password and have access to Archives.com from home. This family history website has a fully searchable database of more than abillion vital records and historical documents and newspapers. Please allow five days after your membership purchase for our staff to assign a username and password for Archives.com [which means there will be a slight delay in gaining access to that online database].
3. On-site discount on photocopies of library/manuscript materials
If you are not a member and would like to become one, it is now possible to join online. Go to
and add your order to the online shopping cart. Remember to join at the $45 or higher level in order to get Heritage Quest online at home.
If you do not like to shop online, you can print out the forms online and mail a check for the proper amount to
Hayes Presidential Center
Fremont, OH 43420
If you are already an Individual Plus (or higher) member, and are interested in trying this new service, go to www.rbhayes.org/members or go to www.rbhayes.org and click on “Member Login”. You should have received a member number and password which will give you access to the service. If you have not received it or have misplaced it, you can email Becky Hill at email@example.com and we can get that information to you.
If you subscribed at home to Ancestry.com, a similar service, it would cost almost $200 a year, so this is really an excellent deal. And of course, you also get the satisfaction of supporting the Hayes Presidential Center and its excellent programs during these hard financial times for libraries and museums. The membership page also will detail all the other benefits of becoming a member of the Hayes Presidential Center, including free admission to the museum and mansion.
Becky Hill, Head Librarian 8/12