President Hayes' beloved Spiegel Grove
As you enter the grounds of Spiegel Grove, a pair of large iron sentinels flank the roadway. Closer examination reveals the ornate gates bear the Presidential seal at their center. These are in fact the original gates to the White House. They are one of five sets donated in 1928 by Congress for use at the entranceways to Spiegel Grove - site of the nation's first presidential library.
The White House gates are but one of the historical landmarks on the grounds. Parts of the paved pathways through the property are remnants of the Sandusky-Scioto Indian Trail and Harrison Military Trail dating to the War of 1812.
In addition, the burial site of both President and Mrs. Hayes is located on the grounds. The President and First Lady originally were laid to rest in nearby Oakwood Cemetery, a public cemetery. Following construction of the Hayes Museum/Library in 1916, their remains were reinterred within the boundaries of Spiegel Grove. The wooded knoll on which the tomb is located was a favorite spot of the couple.
The President's son Webb C. Hayes, a Medal of Honor recipient, is buried next to his parents. Webb is responsible for establishment of the Hayes Museum/Library.