|Mary Belle Scott139 was born about 1846 in IL. Our Firemen, The History of the NY Fire Departments|
Chapter 50, Part I
By Holice and Debbie
THE DEPARTMENT GAINS IN EFFICIENCY
Appointment of a Fire Marshal. -- A Corps of Sappers and Miners. -- Steamboat Havemeyer and Mills. -- Business Rules and Regulations. -- Superintendent of Buildings. -- English and American Fire Services. -- Instructions in Life Saving. -- Several Destructive Fires. -- The Dry Goods District. -- President Purroy's Water Tank.
The new board speedily availed themselves of the sweeping provisions of the law which legislated out of office all but the Foremen and members of Engine and Hook and Ladder Companies. On the 19th of May Commissioner Hatch resigned as Treasurer, and Mr. Van Cott was chosen. Wm. B. White was appointed Secretary, Eli Bates, Chief of the Department, and Charles Oscar Shay, Assistant Chief. By direction, Chief Bates nominated the following corps of assistants--Chiefs of Battalion--and they were confirmed: James H. Monroe, William H. Nash, Gilbert J. Orr, Benjamin A. Gicquel, William W. Rhodes; Foreman Hugh Bonner, Engine Company No. 20; Foreman William Rowe, Hook and Ladder Company No. 9; Foreman, John W. Miller, Engine Company No. 17; foreman Robert King, Hook and Ladder Company No. 1; Foremen John S. Fisher, Hook and Ladder Company No. 2.
Next day George H. Sheldon was appointed Fire Marshal at $3,00 a year, in spite of influence invoked by Mr. Thomas McSpedon, who was legislated out of office which he held under the Police Commissioners; and Alexander V. Davidson, Storekeeper, at $2,000 a year. Dr. Christopher Prince, Medical Officer, made way on the 27th for Dr. Charles McMillan at $2,500 a year, and Dr. A. J. Minor at $2,000 a year. C. K. smith was made Superintendent of Telegraph at $2,500 per annum; William Terhune, Inspector of Combustibles, at $2,500; Charles E. Gildersleeve, Chief Clerk of this bureau at the same salary, and Jacob Springsteed, Superintendent of Horses. June 4th, Charles F. Hill was appointed Assistant Fire marshal, vice James S. Burnton, who declined the office, and ex-Assistant of Combustibles, an office he held until his death in February, 1874. At about this time peculiar influences which, later on, led to a fearful accident and well-grounded accusations of robbery and corruption, introduced to the Commissioners and Secretary White, Mrs. Mary Belle Scott Uda, a fascinating woman, who procured a patent right for a life-saving and hose-carrying apparatus, known as an aerial ladder, and she was favored in June with tests of her apparatus. William Matthews was made Foremen of the machine shops, under chief of Battalion Orr. Edward Savage was made Chief Book-keeper at a salary of $2,500 per annum.
The estimate of expenses of 1874 was made at $1,455.011. September 10, the Bureau of Combustibles was moved to Firemen's Hall. Hook and Ladder Company No. 16 was organized on the Old Bloomingdale road, between Ninety-seventh and Ninety-eighth Streets, on the 23rd. of October, 1873.
Under the Act of May 23rd, 1873 (afterwards amended to Chapter 329 of the Laws of 1873), "to provide for the annexation of the Towns of Morrisania, West Farms, and Kings Bridge, in the County of Westchester, to the City of New York," the Board, on the 21st of November, instructed Superintendent Smith to inspect the territory and report on telegraphic facilities, and chief Bates was directed to estimate the number of men and apparatus necessary to cover the new district.
Under the Act of the 12th of June, 1873, the corps of sappers, and miners was organized. Chief Shay had command of it, and, on the 10th of December, 1873, Julius H. Striedinger was, on the recommendation of Brevet Major General John Newton, United States Engineers, appointed Instructor of the Corps of Sappers and Miners at $2,000 a year. December 4th, J. Elliott Smith, the present Superintendent of Telegraph, was appointed Assistant Telegraph Operator at a salary of $1,200. The force of the Department in the Twenty-third and Twenty-fourth Wards was established at two steam engine companies, four chemical engine companies, and two hook and ladder companies, to be known as the Tenth Battalion, and Engine Companies Nos. 41 and 42, Chemical Engine Companies Nos. 1 2, 3, and 4, and Hook and Ladder Companies Nos. 17 and 18.
The regulations for these companies provided, among other rules, as follows:
The hosemen and laddermen herein provided for shall receive pay at the rate of three hundred dollars per annum, sleep in the engine and truck houses, attend all fires, conform to the rules and regulations that are now, or may hereafter be prescribed, attend at the houses of their respective companies on two afternoons in each month, to be designated by the battalion Commander, for inspection or practice, assisting in cleaning the apparatuses and horses after each fire alarm, and in policing the houses when required by the Company commander, and shall have the privilege of pursuing their avocations at points convenient to the houses of their respective companies. They will also b required to provide themselves with the uniform, which shall consist of a uniform-coat, shirt, fire-cap and fatigue-cap, as prescribed by general Order No. 1, series 1868, office chief engineer, and, in addition thereto, dark blue or black cloth trousers will be worn when on duty.
In December, $1,274 were subscribed by the firemen for the firemen of Memphis, Tenn., who suffered from the scourge of yellow fever.
The first noteworthy event of 1874 was a resolution to propose plans and specifications for a first-class Department Fire-boat. At the end of January Assistant Chief Engineer Shay planned the organization of the Corps of Sappers and Miners, and his scheme was approved.
In February certain company quarters were turned into soup kitchens to enable Lorenzo Delmonico to properly dispense the bounty of Mr. James Gordon Bennett, of the Herald.
May 5th, the revised estimate of expenses of the Fire Department for 1874 was $1,608,654.33. June 24th Superintendent of Telegraph, C. K. Smith resigned, and John H. Emerich succeeded him. William H. Sawyer, commissioner Hatch's candidate for Superintendent, was made Chief Operator, but he failed to qualify, and, two months later, J. Elliott Smith was given the position. In August, Sharmon Ross rebuilt the Amity Street repair shops, and Wood, Dialogue & Co., of Philadelphia, were awarded the contract for the new Steam Fire-boat, this bid being $23,800. In September the estimate of expenses for the Department for 1875 was $1,436, 932. In October self-propelling engines were given to companies 8, 11, 24, and 32. The Police boat Seneca was equipped for use as a fire-boat. Suitable resolutions were passed December 2d on the deal of May William F. Havemeyer, and his memory was officially honored.
During 1874 the Bureau of Combustibles waged war on the dealers in dangerous vinorem, and secured convictions which resulted in driving the stuff out of the market and lessening the number of fires and accidents by it.
I January, 1875, the final estimates for the year were fixed by the Board of apportionment at $1,316,000. The Committee on Discipline was discontinued so the Fire board tried delinquents. January 27, to oust a Chief of Battalion, a resolution was passed directing the Chief Engineer to select ten persons as Chiefs of Battalion from the uniformed force, and he named Chiefs Orr, Bonner, Nash, Gicquel, Fisher, Monroe, Rowe, Miller, King and Rhodes, the existing Chiefs. Monroe was a week later reduced to the rank of Foreman, and sent to Hook and Ladder Company No. 9, against the wish of Foremen Perley, and E. W. Wilhelm was made Chief of Battalion.
The new steam fire-boat was, on motion of commissioner Van Cott, named the William F. Havemeyer.
Engine company No. 39, was organized in March in Sixty-seventh Street, between Third and Lexington Avenue, with Martin Walsh, Foreman, William Duane Assistant Foreman, C. E. Bensel Assistant Engineer, and Privates John O'Connor, John Shaller, Daniel Mannix, E. J. Carney, E. Hogan and August Levi. In April preparations were made to man the Havemeyer. Its complement was arranged as follows: One Foremen, one Assistant Foreman, one Engineer, one Pilot, and five firemen. Chemical Engine companies, Nos. 5 and 6, were organized, the former at No. 304 West Forty-seventh Street, and the later at No. 77 Canal Street, April 17th.
April 28th the Havemeyer was reported finished, and she was manned as follows: Foreman, Thomas H. Griffiths; Assistant Foreman, James H. Ford; Engineer, Charles B. Seaver; Assistant Engineer, Patrick Hughes; Pilot, Peter Van Orden; fireman, A. H. Wright, Matthew D. Conry, James Buckley, John Stapleton, and Dennis J. Leary. She was berthed at Pier No. 1, King, succeeded Mr. Van Cott as Commissioner.
VINCENT C. KING was foreman of Hose company No. 23 from 1853 to 1858. He was also, for four years commissioner of the Board of Appeal in the Volunteer Fire Department from 1869 to 1864. In 1875 he was appointed Commissioner by Mayor Wickham in the new Paid Fire department and remained in that position for six years. He was President of the Board for four years when the salary was $7,500 a year, the other Commissioners receiving $5,000 a year. The original commissioners of the new Fire Department were Philip Engs, Martin B. Brown, James W. Booth and William Hitchman. They had $10,000 a year. But this was cut down subsequently to $5,000 and made the uniform salary for all the Commissioners as it is to-day. Altogether in the old and new Fire Departments Mr. King spend over twenty years.
"What was the difference," Mr. King was asked by the writer, "between the old and new Fire Departments?"
"Well," he replied, "they have better engines in the present department and they have the use of steam to pump and work their supply of water, and they may be able to send a stream of water to a much higher altitude than could be done by the old engines, but the old engines had but one advantage that the present ones have not. There was then a strong and abundant flow of Croton water and it was half the battle in a big fire as it came with a rush from the hydrants. Under the circumstances of the city at the time the department was equal to every emergency of fire because there were no big buildings then, few higher than three stories and the firemen were able to control them. But there were engines in those days that could throw a stream of water over Reilly's liberty pole, down near Franklin Street and West Broadway, 175 feet high. Reilly (I guess he was the original one) kept a hotel and the boys used to bring their engines down just for the fun of seeing which of them could make the biggest shoot of water. It used to stir up the greatest excitement."
Ex-commissioner Philip W. Engs died May 19, 1875, and the Commissioners honored his memory inappropriate resolutions and attended his funeral.
On the 7th of July Charles E. Gildersleeve and W. B. White left the service of the Department, and Carl Jussen became Acting Secretary. "Siamese" connections and 1-1/2-inch nozzles were applied to all Hook and Ladder Companies below Fifty-ninth Street.
Brave and able Peter Weir, foreman of Engine Company No. 23, died in August, 1875, and he was buried on the 14th of august from No. 38 Elm Street, with suitable departmental honors. Foreman John H., Kehoe, Engine 5; Joseph Poynton, Engine 20; Arnot Spence, Engine 27; John J. Bresnan, Engine 33; George Quackenbush, Hook and Ladder 10, and James Walton, Hook and Ladder 12, being the pall-bearers.
PETER WEIR was born in the Sixth Ward about 1840. He joined Fulton Engine Company No. 21 and was elected successively representative, assistant foreman and foreman. In 1865 he was elected Assistant Engineer and served as such until the paid Department was organized. He was appointed foreman of Engine Company No. 31. He commanded this company until 1871 when he was transferred to Engine Company No. 25, located in the house formerly occupied by Black Joke Engine Company No. 33. He continued in command of this until his death. Chief Gicquel said: "Peter Weir was a genial, whole-souled man, beloved by everybody. He was one of the hardest worked men in the department. His name was placed on the roll of merit for gallantry. In appearance he was anything but a dude, but he was every inch a fireman. A better one I don't believe the department has ever seen. He rarely wore a fire-cap at a fire. he seemed to be utterly oblivious to everything, except the fire, when on duty. His death was brought about by over-exertion and exposure."
The collapse of the aerial ladder scheme occurred on the 14th of September, 1875, on the Tweed Plaza, at Canal Street and East Broadway. Several public trials of the invention has been given, and the dangerous character of the apparatus had been commented on. On one occasion, when one of the ladders appeared about to topple over, Chief Bates prevented it by slashing a line, which was carried to the top of the ladder. The final experiment was made on the Plaza, in the presence of a vast crowd of spectators and many firemen and others interested in such matters. The ladder was raised in eight sections to a height of ninety-seven feet, and Chief William H. Nash, of the Fourth Battalion, ascended, followed by Firemen Philip J. Maus, of Hook and Ladder Company No. 6; fireman William Hughes, of Engine Company No. 6, four other firemen and an Assistant Engineer. Chief Nash had reached the summit of the ladder, when it snapped far below him and dashed Nash, Maus, and Hughes, who were above the fracture, to the cobble-stones of the square. Nash and Maus were instantly killed, and Hughes died with an hour. No one else was injured. This accident revived the gossip, which charged a corrupt understanding with Mrs. Uda, and the payment of a large portion of the $25,000 she received from the city for her rights and public indignation ran to an intense pitch. The Fire commissioners promptly sat down on the aerial business.
September 15th Commissioner King offered a resolution, s adopted prohibiting the further use of ladders, as it had been demonstrated that they were useless, and there was good reason to believe that the invention was foisted on the Department at an enormous expense and by corrupt means. Parents: Dr. William Henry Harrison Scott and Elizabeth M. Wilkinson.
Spouse: Michele Uda. Mary Belle Scott and Michele Uda were married in 1870.
Mary Campbell Scott (private). Parents: William Campbell Scott and Katherine "Kate" Shelby.
Mary Dewees Scott was born on 21 July 1817 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. She died on 24 January 1902 in Washington D.C.. She was buried on 24 January 1902 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section O, Lot 147 Parents: Matthew Thompson Scott and Winifred "Winnie" Webb.
Mary Epps Scott was born on 18 February 1821. She lived in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY in 1877. She died in 1895. Judy Ware has death date as 1885 Mary was buried on 27 September 1895 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, Lot 1-5 "Mrs. McFarland gave a very 'swell' lunch for me yesterday. There were 16 at the table and everything was elegant, of course"
Fanny Hayes, Lexington, KY, Nov. 18, 1888. Parents: Dr. Joseph Scott and Lucy Caroline Webb.
Mary Letitia Scott138 was born in 1870 in Springfield, IL. From 1872 to her marriage, she lived in Bloomington, IL Parents: Matthew Thompson Scott , Jr. and Julia Green.
Mary Mason Scott was born in 1869. She died on 10 December 1934 in Frankfort, Franklin Co., KY. She lived at "Liberty Hall', her father's house in Frankfort, where she died. The house was designed by Thomas Jefferson and is one of the oldest houses in the state. Liberty Hall was deeded to Liberty Hall, Inc. in 1937 and was taken over by the Colonial Dames about 1939.
She did not marry.
Mary Mitchell Scott was born on 7 October 1842. She died on 27 March 1885 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. She was buried on 28 March 1885 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, Lot 1-5 She resided for several years in her father's home in Bement, IL, returning with the family to Lexington. She died there of consumption at the age of 43. She did not marry.
"I do not see or understand what has kept her alive so long. And such patience and fortitude, such a calm, hopeful waiting for death, I never knew. Always cheerful and interested.."
Mary Mitchell Scott was born on 15 September 1871 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. She died on 27 January 1875. She was buried on 11 February 1875 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, Lot 1-5 Parents: Matthew Thompson Scott and Mary Caroline Williams.
Matthew Scott15 was born about 1739/40 in Neshaminy, Bucks Co., PA.. He died on 20 May 1798 in Shippensburg, Cumberland Co., PA.. He was appointed 1st Lt. in Capt. William Peebles Co., 2nd Battalion, Pa. Rifle Regt. Mar. 15, 1776, commanded by Col Samuel Miles. He was at the Battle of Long Island, taken prisoner, August 27, 1776, and confined on the prison ship "Jersey", but was exchanged Dec. 8, 1776, for Lt. Cleveland of the 7th British Regt. He was promoted to Captain, Oct. 14, 1776 while in prison, under William Peebles, in Col. Walter Stewart's regt. and was present with the 13th at the battles of Brandywine and Germantown. At the time of the Western Insurrection (1794), he was an officer in the army sent to quell it. (Pennsylvania Archives, 2nd Series, Vol. II, page 258).
In the Middle Springs Cemetery, Shippensburg, PA, a monument which was erected to honor Revolutionary War veterans includes the name of Captain Matthew Scott. He was buried, probably, in one of the three cemeteries near the monument. After his death, his widow and family settled in Chillicothe, Ohio where his widow died. Parents: John Scott and Jane Mitchell.
Spouse: Elizabeth "Betsey" Thompson. Elizabeth "Betsey" Thompson and Matthew Scott were married on 11 January 1764 in Carlisle, Cumberland Co., PA. Children were: Dr. John Mitchell Scott, Mary Scott, William Scott, Margaret Scott, Elizabeth Thompson "Betsey" Scott, Dr. Joseph Scott, Matthew Thompson Scott.
Matthew Thompson Scott was born on 5 January 1786 in Shippensburg, Cumberland Co., PA.. He died on 21 August 1858 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. He was buried on 22 August 1858 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, Lot 1-5 Matthew Thompson Scott went to Kentucky as a young man and married Winnie Webb who had come from Virginia in 1792 with her parents, Isaac and Lucy Ware Webb. For many years he was a cashier, then president, of the Northern Bank of Kentucky at Lexington. He was a pall bearer for Henry Clay. He and his wife, Winny are buried in Lexington cemetery of which he was one of the four founders.
Rutherford Hayes wrote his sister, Fanny Hayes Platt at Columbus on July 1, 1855: "I...was soon at home with Birchie, Lucy, and all at Uncle Thompson Scott's cousinly mansion. The family here consists of Uncle Thompson, a fine old gentleman over seventy years old, with faculties unimpaired, intelligent, and cheerful. He has been in the bank of which he is president some forty years, is staid and sober, but not severe or strict. He is now reading the Bible at the other [end of the room]. He is a brother of Mother Webb's mother, and his first and present wife were sisters of Lucy's father. Aunt Betsey's first husband was a brother of Uncle Thompson. She is twenty years younger than her husband and the youngest woman of her age I have ever seen. There is one unmarried daughter, Cousin Lucy, a fine good girl, getting passee, but good-looking; two sons, twenty and twenty-two, fair specimens of the better sort of Kentucky-bred young men. A daughter of Aunt Betsey by her first husband, another Lucy, with her rich husband spending the honeymoon here after their tour; two sons of Aunt Betsey by her first husband, wild young fellows, and lots of niggers. The house is very large--rooms high, ventilation perfect, and nobody bothers or is bothered by anybody else. As independent as in hotel, and much the same in some things. Newcomers arrive constantly. The table ranging from ten to fifteen plates--plates, by the by, precisely like the blue old china ones Mother had in Delaware.
"He was a man of rare financial sagacity and of irreproachable integrity and had been identified with the banking interests of Kentucky for more than 40 years"
Spouse: Elizabeth Frances "Betsy" Webb. Elizabeth Frances "Betsy" Webb and Matthew Thompson Scott were married in July 1836 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.
Spouse: Winifred "Winnie" Webb. Winifred "Winnie" Webb and Matthew Thompson Scott were married on 12 June 1810 in KY. Judy Ware has marriage year as 1811 Children were: James W. Scott, Elizabeth Thompson "Betsy" Scott, Isaac Webb Scott, Lucy Catherine Scott, Mary Dewees Scott, Lucy Webb Scott, John William Scott, Winifred Webb "Winnie" Scott, Matthew Thompson Scott , Jr., Margaret Lucy Scott, Lucy Ware Scott, Joseph Scott, William Nicholson Scott, William Thompson "Will" Scott.
Matthew Thompson Scott , Jr.138 was born on 24 February 1828 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. He died on 21 April 1891 in Bloomington, McLean Co., IL. He was buried in Bloomington, McLean Co., IL. Matthew Thompson Scott was born in Lexington, KY and died in Bloomington, IL. At the age of 18 he graduated from Centre College in the class of 1846. He went to IL. and became an important land owner and did much to develop that rich section. In 1859 he was married to Julia Green, daughter of Rev. Lewis W. Green, President of Centre college. They located in IL. Julia's sister Letitia became to wife of Hon. Adlai E. Stevenson, later Vice President. In 1870 Matthew moved to Springfield and in 1872 to Bloomington, IL. Parents: Matthew Thompson Scott and Winifred "Winnie" Webb.
Matthew Thompson Scott was born on 2 January 1834. He died on 7 July 1862. He was buried on 21 July 1862 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. Section H, Lot 1-5 He served in the Confederate States Army, 1st Lt. in Morgan's 6th Kentucky Cavalry, was wounded and had the nickname "One Armed Matt". He died in the service. Parents: Dr. Joseph Scott and Lucy Caroline Webb.
Matthew Thompson Scott was born on 20 January 1840 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. He died on 17 May 1914 in Bement, Piatt Co., IL. He was buried in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. His education was acquired at private schools, one being that of Abram Drake. He was a Union man, being a Lieutenant in the Home Guards, and had intended joining the 3rd KY commanded by his uncle, Col. Will Scott. At this time he married Caroline Williams, eldest daughter of Prof. Samuel R. Williams, of Sayre Female Institute. After living a few years at Sayre College, he moved to his place in the country, "Icelands", where he resided until 1876. He was engaged in the natural ice business. Going to Bement, IL in March 1876 he engaged in farming. In 1906, he purchased land, 320 acres, at Cheadle, Alberta. On Oct. 29, 1911, he and his wife celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. He and his wife were parents of eleven children, six of whom lived to maturity. He was buried in Lexington, KY cemetery. Parents: Isaac Webb Scott and Susan Budd Mitchell.
Spouse: Mary Caroline Williams. Mary Caroline Williams and Matthew Thompson Scott were married on 29 October 1861. Children were: Isaac William Scott, Joseph Thompson Scott, Louise Chapelle Scott, Samuel William Scott, Mary Mitchell Scott, Margaret Skillman Scott, Matthew Thompson Scott, John William Scott, Henry Skillman Scott, Ethelbert Dudley Scott, Lucian Ware Scott.
Matthew Thompson Scott was born on 14 March 1855 in NY. He died on 25 January 1894 in San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX. He was buried on 28 January 1894 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section 8, Lot 56 He was a graduate in medicine from the University of New York in 1877. He practiced in Lexington, KY; became famous as a surgeon. He was associated with Dr. H.M. Skillman. He died while on a trip to Texas on account of his health. Parents: John William Scott and Jane Heyer Suydam.
Matthew Thompson Scott was born on 11 April 1876 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. He died on 21 May 1883 in IL. He was buried on 4 June 1883 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, Lot 1-5 Parents: Matthew Thompson Scott and Mary Caroline Williams.
Matthew Thompson Scott141 was born on 6 July 1965. He died airplane accident on 3 September 1998 in Atlantic ocean, five nautical miles southwest of Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada. Obituary: New York Times
Scott, Matthew Thompson
Scott--Matthew Thompson. Partner and Sr. Vice President of the sugar brokerage firm Czarnikow-Rionda, and principal of Darby Scott Ltd in New York, died on Swissair flight 111 at the age of 33. Mr. Scott was a graduate of Brown University, with a degree in Comparative Literature, and the Episcopal School in Alexandria, VA. A respected sugar trader and businessman, Mr. Scott helped his wife, Karen Darby Scott, found a couturier design company in 1994. Born in Columbia, S.A. Mr. Scott was fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese. He was a member of the University Club and an enthusiastic athlete who played squash, soccer, tennis, and twice ran the New York Marathon. Matthew is survived by his wife, Karen, who is known in the fashion world as Darby Scott, and their two year old son William. She is expecting their second child. He is also survived by his parents, Mr. And Mrs. John W. Scott of Englewood, NJ. Brothers, John W. and Robert A.T., and his sister Julia Leigh. Memorial services will be held on Friday, September 11 at 2 P.M., at Grace Church in NY, 802 Broadway at 10th Street. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Concordia Language Villages, attention Christine Schulze at Concordia College, 901 South 8th Street, Moorehead, MN 56562.
On 2 September 1998, Swissair Flight 111 departed New York, United States of America, at 2018 eastern daylight savings time on a scheduled flight to Geneva, Switzerland, with 215 passengers and 14 crew members on board. About 53 minutes after departure, while cruising at flight level 330, the flight crew smelled an abnormal odour in the cockpit. Their attention was then drawn to an unspecified area behind and above them and they began to investigate the source. Whatever they saw initially was shortly thereafter no longer perceived to be visible. They agreed that the origin of the anomaly was the air conditioning system. When they assessed that what they had seen or were now seeing was definitely smoke, they decided to divert. They initially began a turn toward Boston; however, when air traffic services mentioned Halifax, Nova Scotia, as an alternative airport, they changed the destination to the Halifax International Airport. While the flight crew was preparing for the landing in Halifax, they were unaware that a fire was spreading above the ceiling in the front area of the aircraft. About 13 minutes after the abnormal odour was detected, the aircraft's flight data recorder began to record a rapid succession of aircraft systems-related failures. The flight crew declared an emergency and indicated a need to land immediately. About one minute later, radio communications and secondary radar contact with the aircraft were lost, and the flight recorders stopped functioning. About five and one-half minutes later, the aircraft crashed into the ocean about five nautical miles southwest of Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada. The aircraft was destroyed and there were no survivors. Parents: John William Scott IV and Marilyn Merrill "Lynn" Ackland.
Moses Scott (private). Parents: John Scott and Jane Mitchell.
Spouse: Anna Johnson.
Rachel S. Scott (private). Parents: Whitney Little Scott and Susan Montgomery.
Robert Scott (private).
Robert Scott (private). Parents: John Scott and Jane Mitchell.
Spouse: Isabel Crawford.
Robert Augustine Thornton Scott (private). Parents: Augustine Thornton Scott M.D. and Catherine Little.
Robert Augustine Thornton Scott (private). Parents: John William Scott IV and Marilyn Merrill "Lynn" Ackland.
Robert Burnside Scott (private). Parents: Lucian Ware Scott and Anna Clay Doward.
Samuel William Scott was born on 24 October 1869 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. He died on 7 January 1876 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, Lot 1-5 He was buried on 8 January 1876 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. Parents: Matthew Thompson Scott and Mary Caroline Williams.
Sarah Scott was born on 27 November 1805. Parents: Dr. Joseph Scott and Martha Berkley Finley.
Sarah Culbertson Scott (private). Parents: John William Scott III and Doris Katherine Hartman.
Spouse: Lewis Medlar.
Sarah Culbertson Scott (private).
Spouse: Lewis Medlar.
Susan Scott (private). Parents: William Scott and Emily Scott.
Susan B. Mitchell Scott46 was born on 22 November 1877 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. She died on 23 January 1929 in Scott Co., KY. She was buried on 30 January 1929 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, Lot 1-5 Parents: Joseph Mitchell Scott and Mary J. Campbell.
Susan Budd "Sue" Scott was born on 9 July 1849 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. She died on 2 July 1927 in Scott Co., KY.25 She was buried on 18 July 1927 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, Lot 1-5 Susan was educated in Lexington and in a finishing school in NYC. She was four years old when her mother died. She was a member of her father's family when he resided at Bement, IL, returning to Lexington with them. She visited Europe and the Near East and also visited her cousins in the White House, Lucy Hayes and Caroline Harrison. After the death of her sister-in-law, she became the head of the household of her brother Joseph and raised his young children, living there the balance of her life. She was one of the most prominent workers in her church and Sunday School, teaching Bible Class for 50 years. She attended Sunday School conventions in Jerusalem, Rome, Denver, and other places. She organized a Home Study class for Street Car men. She also organized the Woman's Home Missionary Society of her church and was its president for 41 years. She was on the board of the House of Mercy for years and was a member of the W.C.T. U. Her private charitable enterprises were numerous.
She did not marry.
Parents: Isaac Webb Scott and Susan Budd Mitchell.
Thomas Skillman Scott46 was born on 21 November 1884. He died on 7 August 1974 in Fayette Co., KY. He attended Staunton Military Academy and Transylvania College in Lexington. He was engaged in the insurance business with the firm of Klair and Scott. Parents: Joseph Mitchell Scott and Mary J. Campbell.
Thomas Skillman Scott , Jr.46 was born in February 1914 in Fayette Co., KY. He died on 3 October 1985 in Fayette Co., KY. He was buried on 7 October 1985 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, Lot 89 Parents: Thomas Skillman Scott and Florence E. Geary.
Thomas Skillman Scott III46 was born on 11 April 1938 in Fayette Co., KY. He died on 24 September 1948 in Fayette Co., KY. He was buried on 25 September 1948 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Section H, lot 89 Parents: Thomas Skillman Scott , Jr. and Elizabeth Scoville Bryant.
Whitney Little Scott (private). Parents: Augustine Thornton Scott M.D. and Catherine Little.
William Scott (private).
William Scott died maybe April 1875. A cabinet maker; did not marry Parents: Matthew Scott and Elizabeth "Betsey" Thompson.
William Scott was born on 28 August 1754 in Neshaminy, Bucks Co., PA.. He died on 26 March 1806. Parents: John Scott and Jane Mitchell.
William C. Scott (private). Parents: William Campbell Scott and Katherine "Kate" Shelby.
William Campbell Scott46 was born on 5 August 1875. He lived in California. Parents: Joseph Mitchell Scott and Mary J. Campbell.
William Harrison Scott (private). Parents: Matthew Thompson Scott and Karen Darby.
Dr. William Henry Harrison Scott (private). Parents: Dr. John Mitchell Scott and Catherine Ware.
William Henry Harrison Scott , Jr.139 was born about 1841 in IN. Parents: Dr. William Henry Harrison Scott and Elizabeth M. Wilkinson.
William Nicholson Scott142 was born on 20 June 1831 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. He died on 4 May 1833 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. Parents: Matthew Thompson Scott and Winifred "Winnie" Webb.
William Thompson "Will" Scott was born on 28 June 1833 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY. He died on 2 January 1875 in Frankfort, Franklin Co., KY. Died at Liberty Hall. He was buried in Frankfort Cemetery, Frankfort, Franklin Co., KY. His mother died when he was 2 months old. He was nursed by Maria Cook Webb; the mother of 1st Lady Lucy Webb Hayes. He shared his childhood with Lucy Webb Hayes and her brothers. He was present at RBH and LWH wedding, Dec. 30, 1852. He roomed in Cincinnati in 1866 with Rutherford B. Hayes.
He was a colonel of the 3rd Kentucky Regiment, U.S. Army, Civil War. As a young man, William was for a time with his brothers Matthew and Joseph in Illinois.
"Will Scott and all came over last night. They left for East. Will's wife is a charming girl. I have hardly seen one in an age who pleased me so well. She is tall, slender, fair hair and bright eyes--by no means a beauty, and yet a very sweet look--very bright, intelligent and good tempered and with perfectly natural but ladylike ways. I like her very much"
William Thompson Scott was born on 16 July 1872. He died in infancy. Died in Infancy Parents: William Thompson "Will" Scott and Mary Yoder Brown.
Winifred Maria "Winnie" Scott was born on 20 March 1836. She died in 1910. Parents: Dr. Joseph Scott and Lucy Caroline Webb.
Winifred Webb "Winnie" Scott was born on 26 August 1822. She appeared in the census in 1850 in Louisville, Jefferson Co., KY. She appeared in the census in 1880 in Ward 11, New Orleans, New Orleans, LA. 1880 Census - Winnie Gallagher, widow, aged 57, b. KY, father b. PA, mother b. KY
with Mary Fay, servant, 47 and MTS Gallagher, son, 35, book keeper, b. KY
Sallie, daughter, 23 (should be 33), b. KY. Winnie died on 27 September 1885. She was buried on 26 March 1902 in Lexington Cemetery, Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.25 Buried in section H, Lot 1-5 Inherited one Negro girl "Julian" from her great aunt Winnie. She lived in New Orleans, LA Parents: Matthew Thompson Scott and Winifred "Winnie" Webb.
Spouse: Charles Gallagher. Winifred Webb "Winnie" Scott and Charles Gallagher were married on 14 October 1844 in Lexington, Fayette Co., KY.55 Children were: Matthew Scott Gallagher, Sarah Brown "Sallie" Gallagher, Charles Gallagher Jr., M.D, Margaret Scott Gallagher.
Aneliese Rose Scriven (private). Parents: Hayes Thomas Scriven and Jenny Wille.
Ellen Dorene Scriven (private). Parents: L. Edward Scriven II and Dorene Bates Hayes.
Hayes Thomas Scriven (private). Parents: Mark Hayes Scriven and Sue Egan.