Why Curriculum Connections?
- Curriculum Connections is a three-part “Satellite Classroom Experience” that supports Ohio Academic Content Standards and 3rd-, 4th-, and 5th-grade level indicators for Social Studies and English/Language Arts. It allows teachers and students to better connect with our nation’s past, Ohio’s history, and our local history while addressing Ohio’s Social Studies and English/Literature Academic Standards.
Pre-visit DVD: Exploring Ohio's Past
- A fully narrated PowerPoint using the Hayes Presidential Library & Museums' historic photographs, artifacts, maps, graphics, video, audio clips, and the physical environment of the estate of President Rutherford B. Hayes.
- In addition to learning about the life and presidency of Rutherford B. Hayes, "Exploring Ohio's Past" offers opportunities to address Ohio Social Studies Academic Standards through an exploration of Ohio's past and how its people, places, and events intersected with and influenced our nation's history. To access information on targeted Social Studies Academic Standards, click here
On Site Visit
- Students experience firsthand the 31-room historic home and museum of one of Ohio’s governors and America’s 19th president. Students learn about President Rutherford B. Hayes, the Hayes family and the splendor and hardships of Victorian life in Ohio. The enduring appeal of the authentic offers students a deeper understanding of the Hayes family and greater insights into the lives of their own ancestors.
PowerPoint: Post Visit Activities
- Following their on-site visit, students can “learn more” through lesson plans developed by their teachers using the second PowerPoint component titled “How Can We Learn More?” that connects directly to the Hayes Presidential Library and Museum's website. Primary sources offer open-ended opportunities for teachers to encourage students’ curiosity and creativity and strengthen critical thinking skills. Contact Maggie Wilson at email@example.com for more information on PowerPoint materials.
- For More Information:Contact Maggie Wilson, Education Coordinator
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 419-332-2081 ext. 246