Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center
Colonel Stanley Wolfe
Scope and Content
The collection was donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center by Colonel Stanley Wolfe in 1968
Colonel Stanley Wolfe was born in Sandusky County, Ohio in 1893. He was the son of Charles M. and Clarissa Potter Wolfe. In 1914, Wolfe enlisted in Company K, 6th Ohio National Guard. In 1916, he served on the Mexican border against Pancho Villa. Prior to WWI, he trained at Camp Sheridan, Alabama, where the 6th Ohio was consolidated with 2nd Ohio to form the 147th Infantry of the 37th Division. The 37th sailed for France in June 1918. Wolfe served in the Metz area, Belgium, and in the Argonne Forest where he was wounded.
Following the armistice, the 37th was reorganized and Wolfe was made supply officer. In 1936, following the reorganization of the 112th, Wolfe was promoted to the rank of major. At the outbreak of WWII, he helped prepare Camp Shelby, Mississippi, for training. The 37th Infantry Division arrived in the Fiji Islands in June 1942 to fortify the islands against possible invasion. The division continued its training on the islands. With the end of ground fighting on Guadalcanal, the division moved to that island in April 1943, continued training, and staged for the Munda campaign. Promoted to colonel in February 1944, Wolfe served at Fiji as task force quartermaster procurement officer and reserve land lease officer until August 1944. Wolfe received The Purple Heart and earned the Croix De Guere and a Bronze Star.
Wolfe married Margaret Bowlus in 1915. She died in 1928. Two years later, Wolfe married Ruth Atyeo of Belleville, Michigan. Wolfe was in the construction business with his father until his father’s death in 1921, and then with Carl F. Steinle. They formed the Steinle-Wolfe Construction Company, later known as Steinle-Wolfe, Inc. Following his retirement in 1958, Colonel Wolfe moved to St. Petersburg, Florida, where he died in 1973. He was survived by his wife and four children by his first marriage. Wolfe was buried in Fremont, Ohio’s Oakwood Cemetery.
Scope and Content
The bulk of the collection is comprised of black and white photographic prints preserved by Wolfe from his military service along the border near Fort Bliss, during the First World War, and World War II. Approximately 75 identified and dated black and white prints, taken by U. S. Signal Corps photographers in the Fiji Islands during July and August 1943, show quartermaster installations. There are pictures of warehouses, supply and gasoline depots, military clothing, rations, ice and refrigeration plants, ordnance, generators, and boilers. Perhaps most interesting is a picture of the military cemetery on the island and several images of men brought to Fiji following their rescue from the Cape San Juan. The unescorted troop transport was sailing to Australia when torpedoed by the Japanese on 12 November 1943 near the Fiji Islands.
Also included in the collection are miscellaneous invitations; military manuals, WWII era newspaper clippings from the Fremont, Ohio News-Messenger and the Toledo, Ohio Toledo Blade; Wolfe’s appointment to the rank of colonel; 37th Division announcement of death of Major General Gilson D. Light dated 27 February 1941. The collection dates from 1916 to 1944.
1. Black and white photographic prints of 6th Ohio National Guard on the Mexican Border, dtd. 1916 (41)
2. Unidentified black and white prints of American troops and ships, dtd.1917
3. Identified loose black and white prints from Fiji Islands (4)
4. Miscellaneous Invitations
5. WWII documents
6. WWII newspaper clippings
7. Series of approximately 75, identified, black and white 4 inch by 5 inch photographs of
WWII U.S. quartermaster installations on the Fiji Islands, dtd. July 1943, August 1943
8. Regulations for the Army of the United States, 1917
9. A Manual for Courts-Martial, Courts of Inquiry, and of Other Procedures Under Military Law, 1917