Walter Edward Stevenson, who was born in 1848 in Buffalo, New York, was the third of Dr. James D. G. and Mary Elizabeth (Sizer) Stevenson’s six children. Stevenson taught school and worked as an accountant for most of his life. He married Mrs. Mary Louise (Hocke) Miller of Pierpoint, New York, in 1888. She was the widow of August Miller, by whom she had four children: Jessie, Mary Cordelia, Bertha Louise, and Frederick William. Following her husband’s death, Mary Louise’s children were adopted by Rev. Gaylord Hartupee of Holmes County, Ohio. The adoption was accomplished through a legal instrument of indenture. Mary remained in York Twp., caring for George Steward, a York Twp. farmer, and his daughter, who was mentally handicapped. Following their deaths, she inherited the Steward home and large farm on York Township’s North Ridge, known as Sunnyside. All five children of Walter E. and Mary Louise (Hocke) Stevenson were born at Sunnyside. They were Walter James, Ethel, Marie Lois, and twins Hortense and Harriett. Walter and Mary eventually sold the farm and settled on land near Green Springs, Ohio. Later, they resided in Clyde, Ohio, and Detroit, Michigan. Following Mary’s death, Walter lived with siblings in Buffalo, New York, until his death in 1922.
Scope and Content
The Stevenson Family Collection is comprised primarily of identified family photographs, documents, and artifacts. The bulk of the material, dating from the Civil War to 1932, focuses on the Walter E. and Mary Louise (Hocke) Miller Stevenson family. Also included in the material are images of and documents associated with Mary Louise=s children by her first husband, August Miller, and his family. Many of the photographs of earlier generations of Stevensons and collateral relatives were identified by the donor, Mrs. Norman Sinclair, a daughter of (Mrs. Haven) Hortense Stevenson Sturdevant. Others were identified by older Stevenson and Miller family members.
The photographs and documents are filed in family groups that preserve the arrangement and description created by the donor. Artifacts and an album of identified images, primarily carte de visites, are housed in Box 3. In most instances, the name of the individual appearing in the image is listed on the album page. However, in some cases, only the name and/or location of the studio is listed on the album page. This information has been recorded in the Inventory. Two large diplomas belonging to Hortense Stevenson Sturdevant were transferred to the Oversize Area and several books were transferred to the General Collection. For a detailed genealogy of the Walter E. Stevenson family, see James Stevenson Family Genealogy by George Urie Stevenson, 1964. [CS71.S81S81 ORR]
Ac. 5567, 5705
2 linear ft.
1. Dr. James David Gilson Stevenson-Photos (1)
2. Walter E. Stevenson - Photos (14)
3. Walter E. & Mary Hock Miller Stevenson Home - Sandusky County, Ohio - Photos (7)
4. Walter E. Stevenson - Photo Album - (15)
5. Clara Louise Stevenson - Sister of Walter E. Stevenson - Photo (1)
6. John M. & Margaret Elizabeth Stevenson Family - Photo (1)
7. James A. Stevenson Family - Photo (1)
8. Will S. & Marie A. Stevenson Family - Photos (4)
9. Walter J. Stevenson - son of Walter E. & Mary Hock Miller Stevenson - Photos (4)
10. Haven & Hortense (Stevenson) Sturdevant Family - Photos (12)
11. Frank & Ethel Stevenson Bishop Family - Photos (12)
12. Mary Elizabeth Stevenson (Mother of Walter E.)- Photo (1)
13. Bat & Harriet Stevenson Boyer Family - Photos (5)
14. Dan & Marie Stevenson Dumbick Family - Photos (7)
15. Fred Miller - Photos (3)
16. Jessie & Mary Miller - d/o August & Mary Louise Hock Miller [Stevenson] - Photos (5)
17. Arthur & Phoebe Stevenson Family - Photos (8)
18. Arthur E. Stevenson Family - Photos (6)
19. Hock Family - Photos (11)
20. Louis Hocke (Uncle of Mary Hock Miller Stevenson) - Photo (1)
21. Mr. & Mrs. Fred Mueller Family - Photos (6)
22. Perry G. & Mary Miller Jones Family - Photos (10)
23. Mr. & Mrs. Ortive Haff - Photo (1)
24. Stereopticon Views - Miscellaneous (9)
25. Fremont Flood - Photos (6)
Haven & Hortense (Stevenson) Sturdevant, 13 May 1962
Unidentified man, ca. 1950
Unidentified woman, ca. 1950 (2 photographs)
Frank & Ethel (Stevenson) Bishop, 1947
Fred Miller, 1945
Frank Bishop, Bat Boyer, Haven Sturdevant, & Dan Dumbick, 1923
Mary L. Stevenson, ca. 1918
Gus & Mayme, 25 September, n.y.
Fred & Mayme, n.d.
Walter James Stevenson, n.d.
Mary L. Stevenson, n.d.
Bat Boyer, n.d.
Hortense Sturdevant, Marion Sturdevant, & Harriett Boyer, n.d.
Hortense & Harriett Stevenson, n.d.
Walter Stevenson, n.d.
Hortense (Stevenson) Sturdevant, n.d.
Marie Lois Stevenson, n.d.
Harriett and Hortense Stevenson, n.d.
Hortense, Mary L., & Harriett Stevenson, n.d.
Harriett and Hortense Stevenson, n.d.
Cased images and tintypes (8)
Walter Edward Stevenson, aged 12
Mary Elizabeth Sizer Stevenson
Jane Buchanan Stevenson
Walter E. Stevenson (daguerreotype), Jake Hocke (tintype)
Walter E. Stevenson (brooch with image), 1920
Engraved plate for business cards for Fred Miller, Indianapolis, Indiana
1. Insurance Policies, Business Documents of Mary Miller c. 1871-1887
2. Apprenticeship Document - Children of August and Mary Hocke Miller - 1884
3. George H. Steward Receivership Papers - 1886
4. Walter E. Stevenson Guest Book Pages - 1878
5. Field Notes and Deeds, York Twp., Sandusky County, Ohio - 1824
6. Walter E. Stevenson Correspondence - 1921
7. Hortense E. Stevenson Sturdevant Correspondence - 1920-1931
8. Masonic Membership of Fred Miller, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1921
9. Obituary of Mabel Frances Beebe - 1899
10. Diary: January -June, 1864
11. Recipes, Pamphlets, Memorabilia
12. Greeting Cards - c. 1867-1932
Stevenson family seal
Birth announcement for William Daniel McDonough, 10 April 1929
Forwarding address for Beverley Bishop & James Robbins
Funeral card for Hollis W. Bishop, 08/17/1915-04/04/1976
Funeral card for Frank Bishop, 10/12/1886-01/30/1967
Death record for Ethel E. Bishop, 26 June 1959
Drawn map of Bishop cemetery plot
Printed map of Bishop cemetery plot
Printed map of Roseland Park Cemetery
Genealogy record for Carl & Elinor Magsamen
Wayne Co. General Hospital & Infirmary, notification of death certificate for Fred W. Miller, dtd 13 May 1961
Death certificate for Fred W. Miller, 05 May 1961
Funeral card for Marie L. Dumbick, 05/21/1892-06/05/1974
Funeral card for Daniel Dumbick, died 12/03/1965
Funeral card for Hortense Sturdevant, died 11/20/1983
Funeral card for Haven H. Sturdevant, died 07/20/1978
Genealogy record for Alfred Arens & Beverley Bishop
Genealogy record for Richard Bishop & Janet Sudak
Genealogy record for Stanley Stevenson & Madeline Pullen
Genealogy record for Sydney Arnold McDonough & Ruth Luella Stevenson
Stevenson family genealogy. 3 pgs. Typed (2 copies).
Stevenson family genealogy. From Hortense Sturdevant, dtd 02 February 1982. Handwritten with photocopy.
Stevenson family births & deaths
Hocke family genealogy. Handwritten with photocopy.
Cemetery payment sheets for plots of Walter & Mary Louise Stevenson
AUCION, ROBERTA L.
To Marion, dtd 18 August 1986.
To Marian, dtd 26 February 1982.
To Marion, dtd 19 March 1982.
To Marion & Norman Sinclair, dtd 13 September 1980.
To Marion, dtd 21 February 1982.
To Hortense Sturdevant, dtd 04 November 1983. 2 copies.
To Marion, dtd 16 February 1982.
To Hortense, dtd 26 September 1980.
PECK, MARIAN & SAM
To Marion, dtd 30 April 1981. With attached notations of family tree.
To Marion, dtd 28 December 1983.
To Marion, dtd 14 February 1982.
To Marion, dtd 24 February 1982.
Captain Samuel De Zoscieur Stevenson
Belle Flagg, Oak Park, IL, 16 yrs., 1875
Mary Elizabeth Stevenson
Elizabeth Jane Stevenson, Aunt Libby, b. 1852
Eva M. Hurd, Findlay, Ohio, 19 yrs., 1873
Fannie A. Hurd, 16 yrs., 1874
Mary Louise Stevenson, Mother of Hortense and Harriet, 1854-1918
Walter E. Stevenson, husband of Mary; Father of Hortense and Harriet, Forestville, NY
Nellie to Walter, 1877, Buffalo, Jan 4/77
Mary Louise Stevenson (Hoch), 1854-1918
E. P. Jones girls, Findlay, Ohio
Geo. Jones, E. P.’s Son, 7yrs., 1874
Cousin Susie Covey, Elmira, NY, 12 yrs., 1876
Wm. F. Covey
[Studio address] Wm. Knight, Buffalo, NY, 194 Main St.
Charles W. Stevenson, July 1880
Cousin Sophia M. Benit, 18 years, married to Charles Chamberlin, 1872
Mrs. James W. Stevenson
Charles Walter Stevenson, July 1880
Dr. James W. Stevenson
May 19, 1876, Forestville, NY
Ann Benjamin, Forestville, NY, May 19, 1876
Sophia Barber, May 19, 1876, Forestville, NY