C. Gene Long
Scope and Content
The C. Gene Long Collection consists of Jackson Township, Sandusky County, Ohio, historical research files which were donated to the Hayes Presidential Center in 2003 by the creator, C. Gene Long of Burgoon, Ohio. Mr. Long was born March 20, 1928, at Winters Station, Jackson Township, Sandusky County, Ohio. He graduated from Jackson Burgoon High School in 1946. In October 1950, during the Korean War, he was drafted into the service. He served six months in the United States and eighteen months in Germany with the U.S. occupation forces. In 1972, he was appointed to the position of clerk of Jackson Township. Nineteenth-century township records sparked Mr. Long’s interest in the area’s past. He diligently researched the township records as well as school, church, and business records. He then turned to interviewing township residents, collecting documents and images, and studying earlier histories of the township and county.
Jackson Township, Sandusky County, Ohio, was organized as a township by the Sandusky County Commissioners in December 1829. It is located in the southwest part of Sandusky County and contains the incorporated towns of Burgoon, Helena, and Millersville. Three other small towns - Winters Station, Havens Station, and Gabel’s Corners - now exist in name only. Early pioneers, mainly Germans from Pennsylvania and southern and central Ohio, came into Jackson Township by way of Gabel’s Corners, located on a newly constructed road. Today the road is known as County Road. 41 or the Greensburg Pike. Early pioneers include the Campbell, Feasel, Gabel, Gain, Garn, Havens, Hoffman, Ickes, Klotz, Lease, Long, Ludwig, Miller, Mowry, Overmyer, Shale, Stultz, Tyndall, Voorhies, Wilhelm and Whitmore families. They found the township covered in a dense forest with fertile but wet soil. Wildlife was abundant. As trees were cleared and ditches dug to drain the soil, agriculture became the primary source of income for early settlers, However, stone quarries and sawmills were also in existence. It wasn’t until the 1890s that oil and gas wells became part of the Jackson Township economy. Jackson Township has no major navigable waterways, but the early railroads such as the Fremont Indiana Railroad and later the Toledo, Tiffin and Eastern Railroad gave Jackson Township residents a source of transportation and a means for moving their goods during the 1850s and 1860s.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of 152 pages of research material compiled in two three-ringed notebooks. The material relates to the history of Jackson Township, Sandusky County, Ohio, from 1829 to the 1990s. The records are the research materials collected and compiled by Mr. Long in his efforts to document the history of Jackson Township. The records are largely without chronological or subject orientation. The notebooks contain photocopied pages from earlier histories; identified and unidentified original and reprinted photographs of individuals, transportation, school groups, agricultural activities, and businesses. Many of these images were unknown prior to Mr. Long’s research. Also included are maps; school memorabilia, and newspaper articles regarding businesses, schools, sports, churches, and residents. Veterans’ cemetery records, brochures, and annual reports of the Jackson Township Trustees for 1995, 1996, and 1997 are also part of this collection, along with genealogical information on early pioneer families such as the Bischoff Family, Garn Family, and Shawl Family. Mr. Long used these research material in writing Conquering the Black Swamp: A History of Jackson Township’s First 170 Years, which was published by the Sandusky County Kin Hunters and the Sandusky County Historical Society in 2001. The work is available in the Hayes Presidential Center’s Reading Room.
˝ linear ft.
Two three-ringed notebooks
go to top of page