FREMONT GARDEN CLUB

Local History Collections

Collection ID: LH-151
Location: LH-151

(Description ID: 606920)

Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

 

Fremont Garden Club

LH-151
_____________________________________________

Introduction
Agency History
Scope and Content
Inventory

 

 

Introduction

The records of this organization were donated periodically by former members.

 

Agency History

Twelve women gathered at the home of Mrs. A.R. Christy on March 7, 1932 and founded the Fremont Garden Club. The charter members were Mrs. A.R. Christy, Mrs. Myron Miller, Miss Irene Walde, Mrs. Willis B. Holmes, Mrs. E.M. Ickes, Mrs. Willis Wendler, Mrs. E.R. Hilton, Mrs. T.L. Moore, Mrs. Harry Younker, Mrs. Bert Stull, Mrs. Rush Brewer, and Mrs. Chester Shirley. These women served as the board. Mrs. Christy served as board president, Mrs. Younker was vice-president, and Miss Walde was secretary and treasurer. The purpose of the club was to “stimulate the knowledge and love of gardening among amateurs; to aid in the protection of native trees, plants, and birds, and to encourage civic planning.”

Membership was broken down into two categories, “active” and “associate.” Initial membership was limited to 36 women, though over time this number changed, with the final membership limit being 50 women. The only qualification for membership was that the prospective women be interested in the purpose of the club. Nominations for membership were presented to and voted on by the board, with a unanimous vote being necessary for appointment. It was possible to resign from the club by providing written notice to the secretary, by missing five consecutive meetings, or by failing to pay dues by the established deadline.

The constitution largely remained the same for the duration of the club, with meetings being held on a monthly basis. At the founding of the club, dues were $2.00 for active members and $3.00 for associate members. The last recorded dues were $3.00 for active members and $4.00 for associate members.

The last official year of the club was 1966, with a vote being taken to determine whether or not to continue. This vote was done via mail, and any unreturned responses were counted as negative votes. The last meeting of the year was held on December 12, 1966, and the club was formally disbanded. The organization was to meet the following month discuss what to do with funds remaining in the club bank account.

Scope and Content

The Fremont Garden Club records, spanning from 1932 to 1967, contain two official copies of the constitution and notes for proposed changes; a member-written history through 1956; an executive board book from 1937-1943; minutes from 1932 to 1942 and 1949 to 1966; two copies of member created yearbooks; annual meeting programs from 1938, 1941, 1943, and 1946 to 1957; 1958 garden center flower and art show program; and a pamphlet containing the history of the Fremont Garden Center from 1938 to 1950.

 

Inventory
Ac. 443, 926, 1813

Box 1

Constitution 1937 (2), 1961, Constitution notes 1941, 1942

History through 1956, Officer list through 1956

Executive Board Record, 1937-1943

Minutes 1932-1936

Minutes 1936-1938

Minutes 1939-1942

Minutes 1950-1953

 

Box 2

Minutes 1954-1960

Minutes 1961-1966

Annual Meeting Programs 1938, 1941, 1943, 1946-1957

Garden Center Flower and Art Show—June 7-8, 1958

Fremont Garden Center History 1938-1950

Member Yearbook 1935

Member Yearbook 1937

Member List and Meeting Schedules 1935-1937