SCOTT TWP. RECORDS

Local Government Records

Collection ID: 288
Location: LG 28

(Description ID: 594178)

Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

Scott Twp. School Directors' Record

LG-28


Introduction

Agency History

Scope and Content

Inventory

Introduction

The Scott Township, Sandusky County, Ohio School Director's Record Book was donated to the Rutherford B. Hayes Center by Mr. Fred Hower of Worthington, Ohio in 1998.

Agency History

Scott Township was first settled in 1828. Colonel Merritt Scott, for whom the township was named, was its first settler. However, it was not until 1833 that the township was organized. According to Ohio law, township trustees designated school districts within each township. Three school directors, a treasurer, and a clerk oversaw the operations of all schools within each district. The duties of the directors included: the financing, erection and maintenance of school buildings, and the hiring of school teachers. Directors were elected by residents of the township.

Scope and Content

The single record book is that of School District No. 6 of Scott Twp., Sandusky County, Ohio. The record extends from 1837 with the listing of the election of the first directors. Entries regarding maintenance, teacher contracts, student enumerations (by gender), and the erection of buildings continue through the year 1889. A second sub-district was created during this period. It encompassed portions of Seneca County as well as Sandusky County.

Inventory

Ac. 5462

One record book, 1837-1889

go to top of page